Survey: How do you pronounce the file extension .gif?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Well?

Hard G, as in "game"
44
73%
Soft G, as in "giraffe"
16
27%
 
Total votes: 60

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

Jim North wrote:No no no, see . . . it's spelled GIF, but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove"!
:lol:

"And now for something completely different..."

User avatar
Steverules
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1710
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:26 pm
Contact:

Post by Steverules »

.Gif boy: Do not try and pronounce the .gif. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
.Gif boy: There is no .gif.
Image

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

I'm still bruised from that little affair.

Post by Cope »

steverules wrote:.Gif boy: There is no .gif.
That's what you said about the cliff edge. :x
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 5339
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: noitacoL

Post by [AlmightyPyro] »

i've always called it a 'jiff'.
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.

User avatar
Gengar003
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 pm

Post by Gengar003 »

Col wrote:
Jim North wrote:No no no, see . . . it's spelled GIF, but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove"!
:lol:

"And now for something completely different..."
I make a motion for the admins to implement a filter that replaces all instances of .gif on these boards with .throatWarblerMangrove
"If you hear a voice inside you saying "you are not an artist," then by all means make art... and that voice shall be silenced"
-Adapted from Van Gogh

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

I'd pronounce it "jiff" I guess...although I don't think I've ever had reason to use the term in coversation. But that's how I hear the word pronounced in my head.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 3182
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: How the hell should I know? I just live here...
Contact:

Post by KittyKatBlack »

I pronounce it Gif with a hard G. But I do have a bad habit of calling an LED a 'lead'. I know I'm not supposed to, and I've driven many tech people crazy by accidently saying 'lead' instead of L-E-D, but I dunno. I just don't like to spell things out using letters.

I pronounce ROFL as 'roffle' and 'LOL' as 'lol' (Like lollypop only just the 'lol' part). I've also taken to pronouncing 'AFK' as 'a-fack' for some reason. *shrugs*

User avatar
Jops
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1951
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:55 am
Location: Zzyzx Rd.
Contact:

Post by Jops »

I always use the hard G, even if in italian a G followed by an I must always have a soft sound and so, i often hear people pronuncing it that way.
Jops

Image Image

User avatar
Prettydragoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
Contact:

Post by Prettydragoon »

Hard. I like it hard. It's the Finnish way... I mean pronunciation.
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Gengar003 wrote:
Col wrote:
Jim North wrote:No no no, see . . . it's spelled GIF, but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove"!
:lol:

"And now for something completely different..."
I make a motion for the admins to implement a filter that replaces all instances of .gif on these boards with .throatWarblerMangrove
Attachments
Image1.gif
Image1.gif (7.28 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
Image1.gif
Image1.gif (25.33 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Post by IVstudios »

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Sam_Charette
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Sam_Charette »

KittyKatBlack wrote:I pronounce it Gif with a hard G. But I do have a bad habit of calling an LED a 'lead'. I know I'm not supposed to, and I've driven many tech people crazy by accidently saying 'lead' instead of L-E-D, but I dunno. I just don't like to spell things out using letters.

There's nothing wrong with pronouncing acronyms. We do this all the time with anything that sounds like a word. A friend of mine got annoyed with someone for saying "Earl" (URL) in his presentaction instead of saying U-R-L. That's just silly. People pronounce many acronyms as words.

SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus)
RADAR (RAdio Detection And Ranging)
LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation)
SONAR (SOund Navigation And Ranging)
HUD (Heads Up Display, though this may just be me)

How about computer-specific terms?

LAN (Local Area Network)
WAN (Wide Area Network)
Modem (MOdulator/DEModulator, though not really an acronym per se)
RAM (Random Access Memory)
ROM (Read Only Memory)
SQL (Structured Query Language, sometimes spoken Sequel)


There are plenty of acronyms that are pronounced as words. We as a society are too lazy to pronounce each letter, so we just see it as a word. It's normal, and anyone who gets on your back about it really should remove the stick from their ass.
Image

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Hear hear!
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Tim
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: State of WA, formerly MA
Contact:

Post by Tim »

Sam_Charette wrote:People pronounce many acronyms as words.
That's because the definition of "acronym" is an abbreviation that can be pronounced as a word! ;) Otherwise it's just an abbreviation.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

An abbreviation is the simple shortening of a word (the abbreviation of "abbreviation" is "abbrev.", for example), while an acronym is a word in which each letter stands for a different word in an entire phrase (like STP is Standard Temperature and Pressure).
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Tim
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: State of WA, formerly MA
Contact:

Post by Tim »

That'll learn me not to try and sound smart and say stuff without looking up the facts first. :oops:
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Stop quoting dictionary people!

User avatar
Blackaby
Regale her
Posts: 3441
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Sitting on the pudge.
Contact:

Post by Blackaby »

KittyKatBlack wrote:I pronounce it Gif with a hard G. But I do have a bad habit of calling an LED a 'lead'. I know I'm not supposed to, and I've driven many tech people crazy by accidently saying 'lead' instead of L-E-D, but I dunno. I just don't like to spell things out using letters.

I pronounce ROFL as 'roffle' and 'LOL' as 'lol' (Like lollypop only just the 'lol' part). I've also taken to pronouncing 'AFK' as 'a-fack' for some reason. *shrugs*
Weird, in all the computer places I've worked at, people are asking me for "lead" times rather than LED.

ROFLMAO is rofflemayo to me.
WTF is wuttuhfuh.
OMFGWTFBBQ is ohmuhfugoshwuttuhfuhbarbecue.
LOOK AT BLACKABY HE IS FILLED WITH TEH SCREAMY OMG
Image
guest artists get free puppies
Image

User avatar
Malise
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:47 pm

Post by Malise »

it depends on whom I'm speaking to. I tend to adapt my pronunciation to correspond with that of whomever I'm speaking with.

User avatar
Gengar003
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 pm

Post by Gengar003 »

Wow, Rkolter, you've got lotus 123 on your machine?
"If you hear a voice inside you saying "you are not an artist," then by all means make art... and that voice shall be silenced"
-Adapted from Van Gogh

Locked