Old Lady Sues Teenagers For Being Nice

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Luprand
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm
Location: Cougar country
Contact:

Post by Luprand »

I've only known one lawyer in my life; he was a rather dry and grumpy man. He spoke at church one time, and that's probably the only time I've seen my mom fall asleep during a meeting. And then she went home and wrote some satire about it. Maybe my family's just weird.

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

User avatar
BrownEyedCat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1848
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:24 pm
Location: Lurking in the Corners
Contact:

Post by BrownEyedCat »

Hmmm . . . I can't think of any lawyers that I know, but I do know an auditor.
Image

Image
Previously Catrine until my account crashed.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

I have an ex-girlfriend who's aspiring to be a lawyer.... this does not disagree with the all lawyers are horrible theory.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

How much did she get for her soul?
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Ian Moulding
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
Contact:

Post by Ian Moulding »


User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Warren wrote:How much did she get for her soul?
Not sure, as far as I could tell she either sold it before we met or never had one in the first place.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

War wrote:A lot of the time I don't think a lawyer is even necessary or should be allowed. Were doing 100 in a 30 limit? Pretty open and shut I'd say, shouldn't even be an option for a lawyer.
A friend of mine crossed over (to the U.S.) and promptly ran a red light (at over the speed limit, too), was stopped, and fined. He went to a lawyer who did some investigation and told him not to pay the fine, but rather wait until he was summoned by the court. Turns out the lawyer used his contacts and found out that by then, the police officer who fined my friend would have been transferred out of town. When this happens, the judge usually throws out the case, and this is indeed what happened, even though the police had the fine as proof. End result? my buddy got away with it, and was proudly gloating about it everwhere.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Oh well then, it's a good thing a lawyer was there to make sure he didn't pay for a crime he did comit... wait....
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Post by IVstudios »

War wrote:A lot of the time I don't think a lawyer is even necessary or should be allowed. Were doing 100 in a 30 limit? Pretty open and shut I'd say, shouldn't even be an option for a lawyer.
Actually, in such a sever case of speeding (at leas I think that's sever, I'm guessing that

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

but usually you are...

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Eh, one of my best friends is a law student. He reached almost near the end and then got so dissapointed in the profession he choose that now he can't get around to finish it even though he used to be a good student.
He said once: "All they're teaching us is how to lie to people."

User avatar
Bek
Regular Poster
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 8:20 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Post by Bek »

After 10 years in Houston, I can point to a very strong need for good defense lawyers. The number of people put do death due to having crappy lawyers is huge. If you have a good one, you get a prison term, if not, death.

Add to that the blatant discrimination (for the same crimes, whites get prison while non-whites get death), and there's a hell of a need for good lawyers who are willing to work as public defenders.

Personally, I'd like to see the death penalty be removed alltogether (for many reasons from moral to practical), but given that "killin' shit" is a viable hobby in Texas, I don't think that will happen any time soon.
Image

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

My brother's mate's a lawyer, to be honest it's pretty easy to tell.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

bek wrote:After 10 years in Houston, I can point to a very strong need for good defense lawyers. The number of people put do death due to having crappy lawyers is huge. If you have a good one, you get a prison term, if not, death.

Add to that the blatant discrimination (for the same crimes, whites get prison while non-whites get death), and there's a hell of a need for good lawyers who are willing to work as public defenders.

Personally, I'd like to see the death penalty be removed alltogether (for many reasons from moral to practical), but given that "killin' shit" is a viable hobby in Texas, I don't think that will happen any time soon.
I'd like to do away with the eighth amendment, honestly I'd like to see more cruel and unusual punishment, might act as a bit more of a deterant. I swear I recall some judge sentencing a man to 30 days living in a doghouse for some crime. I salute that judge.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

you know... If everyone who did that crime got that punishment It ouldn't be unusual would it? We need to reintroduce public floggings.
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

As opposed to private floggings?
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

those are the ones you do to yourself...

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

Opus Dei, anyone?
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Post by Valuedan »

JexKerome wrote:Whoa there, Nellie! You sure like to go to the extremes, don't you? No middle ground? They're EVIL SO THEY MUST BE DESTROYED? Where in that post did I say that?

What I said: the job of a lawyer is evil, and people notice and react to it, using the viper joke as an example. Never did I ask for their extermination; I simply pointed out something that for some reason people don't get.

As for necessary evil... I don't know. Shortly before the War of Secession, some US judges called slavery "a necessary evil" as they ruled in favor of it. Which means, of course, that eventually conditions arise where such an evil is no longer necessary. I mean, America's among the strongest countries on the planet even though their economy took a hit with Emancipation, right?

So maybe, some day, lawyers will no longer be needed.

But while they are, things like frivolous lawsuits will keep happening.
Frivolous lawsuits have their advantages, as well. I mean, sure, this "old" lady was obviously in the wrong, and sure, it's terrible that she won the case, but every time one of these idiotic lawsuits pops up and the media starts digging in, the public notices. And when the public notices, changes can be made to make sure these loopholes don't keep benefiting assholes.
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

The only effect I've seen so far is the appearance of more and more frivolous lawsuits, as amoral people and their lawyers note the ease with which they can make money. Ever heard of the Stella Awards?
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

Locked