Old Lady Sues Teenagers For Being Nice
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- BrownEyedCat
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:24 pm
- Location: Lurking in the Corners
- Contact:
- Dr Legostar
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 15660
- Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: right outside your window.
- Contact:
I have an ex-girlfriend who's aspiring to be a lawyer.... this does not disagree with the all lawyers are horrible theory.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

How much did she get for her soul?
Warren

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
-
Ian Moulding
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1330
- Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
- Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
- Contact:
More evidence that all personal injury lawyers are unredeemable scum.War wrote:Just personal injury lawyers!
- Dr Legostar
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 15660
- Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: right outside your window.
- Contact:
Not sure, as far as I could tell she either sold it before we met or never had one in the first place.Warren wrote:How much did she get for her soul?
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

A friend of mine crossed over (to the U.S.) and promptly ran a red light (at over the speed limit, too), was stopped, and fined. He went to a lawyer who did some investigation and told him not to pay the fine, but rather wait until he was summoned by the court. Turns out the lawyer used his contacts and found out that by then, the police officer who fined my friend would have been transferred out of town. When this happens, the judge usually throws out the case, and this is indeed what happened, even though the police had the fine as proof. End result? my buddy got away with it, and was proudly gloating about it everwhere.War wrote:A lot of the time I don't think a lawyer is even necessary or should be allowed. Were doing 100 in a 30 limit? Pretty open and shut I'd say, shouldn't even be an option for a lawyer.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
- Dr Legostar
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 15660
- Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: right outside your window.
- Contact:
Oh well then, it's a good thing a lawyer was there to make sure he didn't pay for a crime he did comit... wait....
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

- Noise Monkey
- Smells of pee
- Posts: 5848
- Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
- Location: A little short...
- Contact:
After 10 years in Houston, I can point to a very strong need for good defense lawyers. The number of people put do death due to having crappy lawyers is huge. If you have a good one, you get a prison term, if not, death.
Add to that the blatant discrimination (for the same crimes, whites get prison while non-whites get death), and there's a hell of a need for good lawyers who are willing to work as public defenders.
Personally, I'd like to see the death penalty be removed alltogether (for many reasons from moral to practical), but given that "killin' shit" is a viable hobby in Texas, I don't think that will happen any time soon.
Add to that the blatant discrimination (for the same crimes, whites get prison while non-whites get death), and there's a hell of a need for good lawyers who are willing to work as public defenders.
Personally, I'd like to see the death penalty be removed alltogether (for many reasons from moral to practical), but given that "killin' shit" is a viable hobby in Texas, I don't think that will happen any time soon.
- LAGtheNoggin
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2532
- Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: the sea side
- Contact:
- Dr Legostar
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 15660
- Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: right outside your window.
- Contact:
I'd like to do away with the eighth amendment, honestly I'd like to see more cruel and unusual punishment, might act as a bit more of a deterant. I swear I recall some judge sentencing a man to 30 days living in a doghouse for some crime. I salute that judge.bek wrote:After 10 years in Houston, I can point to a very strong need for good defense lawyers. The number of people put do death due to having crappy lawyers is huge. If you have a good one, you get a prison term, if not, death.
Add to that the blatant discrimination (for the same crimes, whites get prison while non-whites get death), and there's a hell of a need for good lawyers who are willing to work as public defenders.
Personally, I'd like to see the death penalty be removed alltogether (for many reasons from moral to practical), but given that "killin' shit" is a viable hobby in Texas, I don't think that will happen any time soon.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

- Dr Legostar
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 15660
- Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: right outside your window.
- Contact:
As opposed to private floggings?
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

- Noise Monkey
- Smells of pee
- Posts: 5848
- Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
- Location: A little short...
- Contact:
Opus Dei, anyone?
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
Frivolous lawsuits have their advantages, as well. I mean, sure, this "old" lady was obviously in the wrong, and sure, it's terrible that she won the case, but every time one of these idiotic lawsuits pops up and the media starts digging in, the public notices. And when the public notices, changes can be made to make sure these loopholes don't keep benefiting assholes.JexKerome wrote:Whoa there, Nellie! You sure like to go to the extremes, don't you? No middle ground? They're EVIL SO THEY MUST BE DESTROYED? Where in that post did I say that?
What I said: the job of a lawyer is evil, and people notice and react to it, using the viper joke as an example. Never did I ask for their extermination; I simply pointed out something that for some reason people don't get.
As for necessary evil... I don't know. Shortly before the War of Secession, some US judges called slavery "a necessary evil" as they ruled in favor of it. Which means, of course, that eventually conditions arise where such an evil is no longer necessary. I mean, America's among the strongest countries on the planet even though their economy took a hit with Emancipation, right?
So maybe, some day, lawyers will no longer be needed.
But while they are, things like frivolous lawsuits will keep happening.
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it
The only effect I've seen so far is the appearance of more and more frivolous lawsuits, as amoral people and their lawyers note the ease with which they can make money. Ever heard of the Stella Awards?
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.





