hardest angle to draw

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Wp
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:08 am
Contact:

hardest angle to draw

Post by Wp »

What view do you find hardest to draw with people? I've come across countless tutorials that say frontal and profile are the easiest to draw, but for me, 3/4ths view is easiest. I recently re-realized that I suck at frontal view. Am I weird?

User avatar
BERSERKERCREW
Regular Poster
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:32 pm
Location: heck
Contact:

Post by BERSERKERCREW »

from below looking up that chin and ear thing is maddening.

User avatar
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: Beneath stormy skies
Contact:

Post by Warofwinds »

I agree with BERSERKERCREW. Any angle that requires you to draw the nose from below is the most annoying. With the front view, it never looks right to me until I've colored and shaded it in photoshop. Without any shadows though, drawing a good face from the front angle would be damn hard.

-Kez
-Kez
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Genesis_13
Regular Poster
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: Right outside M.E. Charm's house...escaping!
Contact:

Post by Genesis_13 »

I agree with the angle of Berserkscrew. I'm fine with the nose, and the ears are annoying but attainable, but for the life of me I just can't draw a chin from below. GAH!

Actually, a 3/4 angle from below is the hardest. I can't even draw one STRAIGHT.

Easiest, anyway, is a 3/4 front view. Even profiles are hard.
Who are you calling a super-small bean you need a magnifying glass to see?!!!

This would be so much better if I updated it....which I did....but then I stopped again!

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

I dislike drawing from above OR below. The noses always come out uber long and pointy when I try. It's easiest for me to draw profiles.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

I'm going to have to agree with everyone here and say that a 3/4 isometric view is the easiest to draw. Hardest? Anything from below or above (below is harder though.)
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Johndisko
Regular Poster
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Johndisko »

i say them 89 degree angles are the hardest. its soooo close to the 90 degree, but its not. you know what i mean?

-jd
im the "j" "o" to the "h" "n" and i cant even spell the rest. it takes too long and i need a friggin cigarette.

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

I'd say 180 degrees...cos then your paper's on the roof and I can't even reach it.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

Wp
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:08 am
Contact:

Post by Wp »

Geez, I knew it! 3/4ths is easiest to draw.

I have problems with looking down from above, but not as much looking up from below. I want to draw the position when somehow has his head down and is looking up at you, but it never ends up right.

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

Head tilted backward is probably the hardest angle to draw from. It's not one you see very often.

User avatar
Zhan_Dvega
Regular Poster
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:49 pm

Post by Zhan_Dvega »

I, for some reason, find it incredibly uncomfortable drawing anyone facing to the left.
<a href="http://aiyaiyai.keenspace.com">Image</a>
Updates Sundaily

User avatar
Kensou X
Regular Poster
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:41 pm
Location: San Francisco (Monterey atm), CA
Contact:

Post by Kensou X »

that sounds more like a psychiactric condition
The Fan: Action, Drama, Suspence...All at a comfortable room temperature. Yeah, it's still there. I'm as shocked as you are.

Image

El doctor Tran es mas chingon en forma de quesadilla.

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Post by Bustertheclown »

Hmm... I'd say...

From the back at a 1/4, looking down from above at roughly a 53 degree angle. Oh, and there's twelve people in the frame, and they're all wearing capri pants and white cotton shirts with long sleeves that alternate in their rolled-up-ness. Never quite got the hang of that one...
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Contact:

Post by KathleenJ »

Chin.

From.

Below.

Though I've seen terrible things happen to noses with frontal views.
Image

User avatar
Zhan_Dvega
Regular Poster
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:49 pm

Post by Zhan_Dvega »

I, for some reason, find it incredibly uncomfortable drawing anyone facing to the left.
<a href="http://aiyaiyai.keenspace.com">Image</a>
Updates Sundaily

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

The through-the-floor-at-their-feet perspective has always eluded me.

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

Chin raised. Pain. In. Ze. Arse.

However! Chin raised for animation style furry critters are actually kinda' easy - no chin to worry about, huzzah!
Zhan_Dvega wrote:I, for some reason, find it incredibly uncomfortable drawing anyone facing to the left.
Twenty minute double post, how peculiar.

User avatar
NotoriousMEQ
Regular Poster
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: ATL -> Ottawa
Contact:

Post by NotoriousMEQ »

Directly above and directly below (with a skirt??) are easier than other above and below angles, but yeah, for the most part, they're the hardest. I can't do anything but the directly above (bird's eye) without a reference, even if it's a star wars action figure. And from below at an angle is probably harder than above, because of the nose and chin thing.

I loooove profiles. I've heard they're the hardest of the 'level' set, but I really have to remind myself not to draw them all the time.

User avatar
Soap Soaperson
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1182
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 7:44 am
Location: Florida

Post by Soap Soaperson »

Blah. Drawing things with that vertical axis perspective is on my crappity-crap-crap-I-haet-it list. I love it when it's done right though, so bah!
Yay. | Yay Part II.

---

NOOOOTE: Any and all links posted by me have the possibility of being NWS, and are likely from http://www.LUElinks.net. K? K.

<Derenge> yo
<TLH> Hey Derenge, want an enema?
<Derenge> no

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Don't know... to me various angles don't seem to be a problem, although maybe they don't look to others as correct as they look to me.
I was practising weird angles a lot on boring classes. To me, various body positions are more a problem.
Oh, yeah... a low front angle can be a problem, not the face but chest.

Post Reply