Webcomic Above You 2013 - Reviews & Discussion

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Webcomic Above You 2013 - Reviews & Discussion

Postby LibertyCabbage on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:25 pm

It's very much a slice of life comic, albeit a bit heavier on the drama than you tend to see, I guess.
I don't see "realistic" writing as being very appealing, though. Audiences respond better when fiction's more dramatic and exciting than real life, even if it's with an ostensibly realistic concept.

No, yeah, believe me, I get what you're saying. I've just never been one to pay attention to settings at all- and not just the "That's because the artist did it so well you didn't even notice it!" kind of way, it's just something I completely scan over for the most part. Hopefully your explanation here will help me be more mindful about that.
You could try reading good/pro comics and paying 100 percent attention to how the backgrounds are done. Now, pros have way more time to draw than amateurs do, but it's still an ideal to strive towards, and there are some amateurs who are good at backgrounds.

Already in chapter 5 I feel a lot more comfortable- I'm still not at 100% but I feel my art hash been servicable thus far, and I'm not racing the clock to make deadlines. Not sure exactly what has changed, but I'll suppose I'll have to wait and see what you have to say next year
Yeah, fortunately, a new chapter's always somewhat of a fresh start.

Thanks. I feel like I'm coming up to another breakthrough, so we'll see. The writing I can't speak for so much, but art wise, one of the pages I'm working on right now was inked entirely with a brush tip- it's a bit shaky and amateurish but I like the effect in general and want to incorporate it more.
Ooh, brush tips. That's something I gotta practice with as well. But anyways, the main thing is to just keep trying to improve and never be satisfied with your current skill level.

Loud Era is me having grown up and playing with fictional characters now instead of dolls and toys.
Sure... but now you've got an audience to entertain. =P

Ohhh! I always wondered why you did that, I figured you just liked the "zen" look of having smaller review posts or something
Yeah, the change happened the same time the editing window got instated. It was originally only five links, but I complained to Kisai, and she bumped it up to 20. I'd prefer more, but I can live with 20.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:41 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:
It's very much a slice of life comic, albeit a bit heavier on the drama than you tend to see, I guess.
I don't see "realistic" writing as being very appealing, though. Audiences respond better when fiction's more dramatic and exciting than real life, even if it's with an ostensibly realistic concept.

I understand. I just don't know how well it meshes with the stories I want to tell, you know? And I guess that's where I have to draw the line between making a comic that appeals to a lot of people vs. one that appeals to my own enjoyment. I'm not writing off what you said, it's just going to take some time to figure out how to apply it to my own work. There's many small stories, and they do contribute to a larger narrative, but I'm trying to make the smaller stories strong enough to stand on their own because it's going to be a long time until "big payoffs" come along. Again, it's more TV show, less feature film.

I feel stupid, because I know it's advice I'd give to any other artist/writer.

No, yeah, believe me, I get what you're saying. I've just never been one to pay attention to settings at all- and not just the "That's because the artist did it so well you didn't even notice it!" kind of way, it's just something I completely scan over for the most part. Hopefully your explanation here will help me be more mindful about that.
You could try reading good/pro comics and paying 100 percent attention to how the backgrounds are done. Now, pros have way more time to draw than amateurs do, but it's still an ideal to strive towards, and there are some amateurs who are good at backgrounds.

This has been something I've been meaning to do for a while. When I'm making money again I want to invest in some instructional books but also just some reference books as well. Plus I have perfectly free good comics to read online, and my to-read backlog is ever lengthening as more and more artists seem to be popping up.

Loud Era is me having grown up and playing with fictional characters now instead of dolls and toys.
Sure... but now you've got an audience to entertain. =P

With great (power?) comes great responsibility, I guess.

Ohhh! I always wondered why you did that, I figured you just liked the "zen" look of having smaller review posts or something
Yeah, the change happened the same time the editing window got instated. It was originally only five links, but I complained to Kisai, and she bumped it up to 20. I'd prefer more, but I can live with 20.

I figured as much. It makes sense. I just wasn't expecting it!
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Re: schwop

Postby JSConner800 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:35 pm

So now that I'm back from vacation, I can properly respond to Cuddly's review of Steel Salvation. First off, it's an honor to receive such a thorough review, especially for a comic that's not even 20 pages long. We've had very little feedback from people we don't already know (and that hardly counts, does it? XD ), so it's exciting to see an in-depth and ultimately positive response from one of the more discerning reviewers in the community. Anyway, that's enough of that. On to the business.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:The about page is a wordy thing, which is par for the course for about pages. The only suggestion I have here is to perhaps add some anchoring links at the top of the page to each section that gets discussed, only because the “world” section is so long that I don’t know how many readers would read that far or bother to scroll past it to see the additional sections underneath. Perhaps this section could even be shortened, but it’s just an extra page and not something that needs hand-wringing over.

It's funny you should mention this, because Alex has been working on collapsible menus for the About page in order to fix this problem. I agree that the "world" section is long, and it shouldn't be dominating the page like that, but I do love world building, and there are plenty of sci-fi fans who devour background lore for every meal of the day. The Mass Effect series knows this fact and exploits it to great effect, and I had the codex from those games in mind when I started the "world" section of the About page. Now, the Mass Effect codex is much more organized and visually pleasing than our page, but we are working on it, and we could have a much improved About page any week now (although the comic itself takes priority).

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:My one and only issue with the design at all is the nature of the navigation buttons on either side of the comic. I love that they match the style, but because they’re so stylized and unusual I thought they were just site decoration at first and it took me a minute to figure out how to move to a different page. It might just be me being dumb, but I would suggest making them just a little bit bigger/more obvious.

Opinions have actually been pretty split on the navigation buttons. We assumed that the standard navigational arrow icons would make it clear to seasoned webcomic readers what the buttons were for, but we've had people who never read webcomics figure out the buttons immediately, and we've had webcomic veterans get confused like you did. I'm not sure if there's anything we can do to make it any clearer without messing up the aesthetic of the site, and in any case, if people do get confused, they always figure it out quickly and they're not likely to be confused a second time. I think we'll just have to accept that a little confusion comes with the territory in this case.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Onto the comic itself. The opening of the story is well done. The exposition is rather subtly conveyed through the text, almost poetic without getting overly prosacious.

It warms the clockwork timepiece I've been using as a heart to hear you say that. I'm a huge fan of the Ray Bradbury school of science fiction, which is more about crafting poetic visions of the future, rather than the so-accurate-it-comes-true Isaac Asimov school of science fiction. I'm always obsessing over where my writing falls on that edge between moving poetry and flowery bullshit. I've become so obsessed with it that I can't even tell anymore which side it ends up on, so it's a huge relief to hear from an outside perspective. And apparently, I've landed on the right side with Steel Salvation. At least so far.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:It may be too early to tell yet, but it makes me think that beliefs, religion, faith, and theism in general may be a key theme in Steel Salvation, with Dy-Gar acting as an allegory for a person who has become disillusioned with a god they may or may not have ever really “believed” in, without outright denying the existence of such a being. Though it could be just gillywilly speculation on my part!

It's never too early for gillywilly speculation. Especially when you hit as close to the mark as you have. Religion and spirituality are big recurring issues in Steel Salvation, along with the comforting and corrupting power of self-delusion. They're pretty closely intertwined, actually. But I may be getting ahead of myself. I can't partake in the gillywilly speculating when I already know the story from start to finish.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Most of the subjects depicted are inorganic, so I understand the reasons behind keeping lines straight and clean, but playing up the natural warp of perspective could help to add some visual interest. I feel like because of the tone of the story, this is the kind of comic that could work with the art being clean and structural but a bit “off” and weird. After all, Dy-Gar talks for a bit about humansinfusing their creations with needless and organic-like imperfections. Using imagery to back this up could help readers understand Dy-Gar as a character more, as well as contribute to a more unsettling vibe.

I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on that. And I may not know the first thing about art, but feel free to get as technical as you'd like. I can just copy/paste it for Evan and Alex to figure out. When you say "off," are you thinking of a kind of surrealist look, like with exaggeratedly crazy backgrounds and such? If so, that's something closer to what I originally envisioned for the story, but due to Evan's lack of experience with scenery and my lack of experience conveying my vision, that really hasn't come through, and I wonder if it might be too late now to start doing it. I'm actually a huge fan of German Expressionist films like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu, so if that's the kind of thing you had in mind, I'm right there with you. Perhaps I can bring this up at the BHC's next comic meeting.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Steel Salvation is a bit unusual in the sense that the art is shaded entirely in monochrome flats with occasional stepped gradients. I think the values could stand to be pushed a bit more, because that and line art are what really will give this art style depth. They aren’t bad as-is, but I think they could be a little bolder and contrasting, like the bottom half of this page, and this one. I do like the flats. It’s unique because usually monochrome artists use hatching, screentones, or proliferous gradients. Flats tend to be the realm of color artists who either draw in a flash/modern “clean” style, or who don’t understand shading well enough to apply it to their own art (cough)

Humbug mentioned this too, and it's something we'll keep in mind going forward. I kind of like the contrast between the present day, where everything on Cykta has faded into an indistinguishable gray lump, and the scenes from the past, where the lights and the shading are sharper and more "alive." Of course, indistinguishable gray lumps aren't that interesting to look at, so even if it fits thematically, it's not the best choice from an artistic standpoint.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I like the simplicity, but I can’t help but feel, when I look at the art of Steel Salvation, as though something is missing. I think because of the size of the comic on my laptop screen, there’s so much room that I expect to see more details, though I’m not entirely sure they’d be needed. I imagine the clarity would make the comic superb for those reading on smaller screen mobile devices. In today’s times, I can’t really advise going against any designs that make a comic more appealing and accessible to mobile readers. I think this is what my issue is, mainly. The comic (aside from what would probably look to be too small of a font in this scenario, perhaps) is well suited to a smaller display. The mostly stable line thickness contributes to this. It’s not the kind of comic where you worry about all the small details you’re missing, because there are no small details.

I think what we need to do is work on our panel composition. Make sure all the spaces are filled and there's something interesting or important packed into every panel. With Alex's minimalistic style, adding more small details isn't really an option. It wasn't necessarily chosen with mobile readers in mind (our website design actually fucks up on smaller devices, so at the moment our most suitable viewing method is broken), but rather it came from Alex's background in graphic design mixed with Evan's simple and "cute" drawing methods. I'll try to describe each panel in greater detail in the script, and we'll continue experimenting with our style (I'm starting to get pretty excited about the German Expressionist angle). Hopefully we can nail down that missing element soon.

Thanks for the insightful review, Cuddly! I'll do my best to make sure Steel Salvation only continues to get better and better with time. And who knows? We might snag a few readers along the way :D
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 am

I understand. I just don't know how well it meshes with the stories I want to tell, you know? And I guess that's where I have to draw the line between making a comic that appeals to a lot of people vs. one that appeals to my own enjoyment. I'm not writing off what you said, it's just going to take some time to figure out how to apply it to my own work. There's many small stories, and they do contribute to a larger narrative, but I'm trying to make the smaller stories strong enough to stand on their own because it's going to be a long time until "big payoffs" come along. Again, it's more TV show, less feature film.
I'll just have to see how the comic turns out between now and when next year's W.A.Y. rolls around. Loud Era seems a lot less like a TV show than you're inferring, though, so you might want to rethink that comparison as well as reanalyzing why TV shows are structured the way they are.

Plus I have perfectly free good comics to read online, and my to-read backlog is ever lengthening as more and more artists seem to be popping up.
It's just hard because backgrounds do take a lot of time, and they're usually the first thing to get sacrificed when time's limited. So, I understand that, and I understand that a page with a minimalistic background's better than no page at all. But at the same time, it makes well-done backgrounds all the more awesome and noteworthy.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Re: schwop

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:48 pm

JSConner800 wrote:It's funny you should mention this, because Alex has been working on collapsible menus for the About page in order to fix this problem. I agree that the "world" section is long, and it shouldn't be dominating the page like that, but I do love world building, and there are plenty of sci-fi fans who devour background lore for every meal of the day. The Mass Effect series knows this fact and exploits it to great effect, and I had the codex from those games in mind when I started the "world" section of the About page. Now, the Mass Effect codex is much more organized and visually pleasing than our page, but we are working on it, and we could have a much improved About page any week now (although the comic itself takes priority).

Excellent, dropdown menus would solve the problem very easily and allow you to still have a more indepth about section if that's what you prefer.

Opinions have actually been pretty split on the navigation buttons. We assumed that the standard navigational arrow icons would make it clear to seasoned webcomic readers what the buttons were for, but we've had people who never read webcomics figure out the buttons immediately, and we've had webcomic veterans get confused like you did. I'm not sure if there's anything we can do to make it any clearer without messing up the aesthetic of the site, and in any case, if people do get confused, they always figure it out quickly and they're not likely to be confused a second time. I think we'll just have to accept that a little confusion comes with the territory in this case.

Only thing i could think of is to make the outer border of the diagon shape be white instead of the same color that touches the arrows. Since color is a no-go, contrast is your next big "HEY LOOK AT THIS THINGAMABOB HERE" technique, so that'd be a possibility I guess. It's not a huge deal.

It warms the clockwork timepiece I've been using as a heart to hear you say that. I'm a huge fan of the Ray Bradbury school of science fiction, which is more about crafting poetic visions of the future, rather than the so-accurate-it-comes-true Isaac Asimov school of science fiction. I'm always obsessing over where my writing falls on that edge between moving poetry and flowery bullshit. I've become so obsessed with it that I can't even tell anymore which side it ends up on, so it's a huge relief to hear from an outside perspective. And apparently, I've landed on the right side with Steel Salvation. At least so far.

Definitely so far so good. The Bradbury angle is definitely evident.

It's never too early for gillywilly speculation. Especially when you hit as close to the mark as you have. Religion and spirituality are big recurring issues in Steel Salvation, along with the comforting and corrupting power of self-delusion. They're pretty closely intertwined, actually. But I may be getting ahead of myself. I can't partake in the gillywilly speculating when I already know the story from start to finish.

WOW I'M NEVER RIGHT AT SPECULATING!!! THIS FEELS COOL
Heh, that's one of the most dangerous things to do as a writer, is to start philosophizin' about your own stories.

I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on that. And I may not know the first thing about art, but feel free to get as technical as you'd like. I can just copy/paste it for Evan and Alex to figure out. When you say "off," are you thinking of a kind of surrealist look, like with exaggeratedly crazy backgrounds and such? If so, that's something closer to what I originally envisioned for the story, but due to Evan's lack of experience with scenery and my lack of experience conveying my vision, that really hasn't come through, and I wonder if it might be too late now to start doing it. I'm actually a huge fan of German Expressionist films like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu, so if that's the kind of thing you had in mind, I'm right there with you. Perhaps I can bring this up at the BHC's next comic meeting.

Yes, surrealism would be well suited to the comic, I think. It doesn't have to look like an Escher print or something but exaggerating features will make the page look fuller without adding an unnecessary level of detail if that makes any sense.

Humbug mentioned this too, and it's something we'll keep in mind going forward. I kind of like the contrast between the present day, where everything on Cykta has faded into an indistinguishable gray lump, and the scenes from the past, where the lights and the shading are sharper and more "alive." Of course, indistinguishable gray lumps aren't that interesting to look at, so even if it fits thematically, it's not the best choice from an artistic standpoint.

I adore the use of grays for the comic in general, I just think you need to find the line that separates "This city is dull and rundown and crummy, and we see how bland it is" versus the image itself actually looking bland. If you can find a way to master the paradox where things look dull in a visually interesting way.

I think what we need to do is work on our panel composition. Make sure all the spaces are filled and there's something interesting or important packed into every panel. With Alex's minimalistic style, adding more small details isn't really an option. It wasn't necessarily chosen with mobile readers in mind (our website design actually fucks up on smaller devices, so at the moment our most suitable viewing method is broken), but rather it came from Alex's background in graphic design mixed with Evan's simple and "cute" drawing methods. I'll try to describe each panel in greater detail in the script, and we'll continue experimenting with our style (I'm starting to get pretty excited about the German Expressionist angle). Hopefully we can nail down that missing element soon.

I think that weirding everything up will help a bit. Because of the simple style it'll be a difficult row for y'all to hoe in terms of finding a balance. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Thanks for the insightful review, Cuddly! I'll do my best to make sure Steel Salvation only continues to get better and better with time. And who knows? We might snag a few readers along the way :D
I'm glad I could help! It definitely is off to a promising start, and I'll be plugging it when I find applicable :)

LibertyCabbage wrote:
I'll just have to see how the comic turns out between now and when next year's W.A.Y. rolls around. Loud Era seems a lot less like a TV show than you're inferring, though, so you might want to rethink that comparison as well as reanalyzing why TV shows are structured the way they are.

Plus I have perfectly free good comics to read online, and my to-read backlog is ever lengthening as more and more artists seem to be popping up.
It's just hard because backgrounds do take a lot of time, and they're usually the first thing to get sacrificed when time's limited. So, I understand that, and I understand that a page with a minimalistic background's better than no page at all. But at the same time, it makes well-done backgrounds all the more awesome and noteworthy.

Yeah, I'm not sure I have anything else to say about the structural aspect of the comic than I've already said. I guess what it comes down to is a matter of even if it's not technically correct, whether it works or not, and in your opinion it isn't really working. I'll try to be more conscious of it as I go forward, although I can't envision changing too much in terms of the trajectory.

And your second response there is certainly true. I find that backgrounds are the least emotionally rewarding part for me to draw, as well. Sometimes I'll put together a background that looks quite nice, and feel pretty proud of it, but it's an uphill battle for me. It's tough to work on something that (no matter how I try to condition myself to feel otherwise) feels like a chore, takes at least 30 minutes to do, and will get glanced over by the reader in two seconds. (again, I need to remind myself that those two seconds are important building blocks that place the reader subconsciously at that location- and that alone means the ages spent working IS worthwhile)

I'm sure I'll be aching to draw varied backgrounds after this chapter of trees, trees, and more trees.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby djracodex on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:06 pm

No Scrying - Josh Sortelli

Website: Simple and neat. That background blue seems to compliment every page, so that's pretty cool. I agree with JSConner about the navigation buttons. They're a bit small, and I wouldn't mind seeing them at the top. I don't know if you're planning on having more Categories in that section than Chapters, if not, I'd just rename Categories to Chapters.

Art: Unique and solid style, especially when it comes to the characters. Something bothers me about the lines though. At the beginning there's not much weight to them, and in some places are quite sketchy. Sketchy is fine, but in a comic where the coloring, shading and designs are all pretty confident, having woogidy lines just takes something away. Like pg 11, the barn has some character to it, but compared to defined-lined Jors, the fence, hay, and door look unrealistic. In the next town scene, though the lines are still a bit sketchy, they are not a stark black and blend in with the background. This is much easier to accept, but there are still instances when the background looks rushed.

The backgrounds get more detailed as the comic goes on, I think around the time where our heroes go to Pitz's place is when the environment started to feel real for me. I know backgrounds are a pain in the ass, they take so much time, you have to account for what's where, and they are pretty much worthless to the plot and going's-on of the comic, but they're so important, they are literally the world your story belongs to. [/rant].

Love the lighting in the latest dozen or so pages. I actually got really excited about scrying orb being a light source.
The colors are all pretty cohesive, I thought. When it comes to the goblins, mainly the girls, it starts to look like they came from a different comic.

Characters: -spoiler alert- I have no tips/constructive thoughts/concerns in this section other than how much I like these characters. Character design is definitely the strongest part of this comic behind the writing.

Jors is cookie-cutter paladin: Dutiful, just and strong. He's the 'getting things done' guy. Having him be (though no longer, he protests) this goblin Casanova makes me giggle girlishly every time.

Ariandre is elegant, capable and a little sassy. She's clearly got the know-how to make it on her own. I'm looking forward to her being a more prominent protagonist later.

It's only been 40-some pages, but we've had some recurring characters, each of them necessary and helpful in their own way. Even though there seems to be a lot of characters, each is easily distinguished as 'remember this guy for later'.

Plot/Overall:
Every bit of exposition is natural and easily digestible. The dialog is witty and enjoyable. The story line is moving at a good pace, and motives for actions are clear.
Having a fantasy themed who-dunnit is pretty refreshing, and No Scrying has done a great job at capturing the proper suspense.
I'm hooked, and I want to know what happens!
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:11 pm

WHEN IT RANES IT PORES
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:35 pm

gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thank you, I am really glad to hear that the dialogue is working, that's been the area that I feel the most lost at sea on. I mean, I know that coloring and backgrounds are my weakest areas art-wise and I'm pushing to improve those, but I have absolutely no critical grasp on my own dialogue beyond the vague notion that I should always go back and trim out about 25% of the words. I'm also glad to hear that the stark colored lighting in the recent night scenes is working so well because it's really easy for me and I don't trust myself with easy things. I'm going to miss doing that when the sun finally rises.

Someday down the road I'd like to redo the first half of this chapter, if not the whole thing, as long as that doesn't hold me back from advancing the story with new material. The backgrounds in some of those early pages were just terrible, and a lot of that was because I was still stuck on paper and doing layout much more poorly.

I can definitely see why the goblins look like they belong to a different comic. They're garish and anachronistic (and waaaay too warcrafty) compared to the rest of the cast, even more than I originally intended. They were a much later addition to the storyline but I promise that they are going to pay off down the road, both as individual characters and part of the overall world setting. I see them as being like humanity on speed.

And also someday I'm going to learn to edit my Wordpress theme. But not tonight, the site seems to be down :evil:
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby JSConner800 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:15 am

Sortelli wrote:Someday down the road I'd like to redo the first half of this chapter, if not the whole thing, as long as that doesn't hold me back from advancing the story with new material. The backgrounds in some of those early pages were just terrible, and a lot of that was because I was still stuck on paper and doing layout much more poorly.

I wouldn't bother redoing all those pages. I've had experience with going back and changing strips we've already put up, and unless you're on a break, there's really no way to do it without affecting your output of new material. I also don't think it's necessary, since you're really only as good as your most recent comics. If your comic catches a reader's eye, and they see some quality art on your home page, they're not going to be scared off if the beginning isn't quite at that level. If anything, they might enjoy watching the progression from rough to polished as they work their way through the archives.

Of course, I also know that it's extremely hard to let imperfections go and leave them out in the open for all the internet to see, but I'm beginning to learn that that's just what you have to do in the comic-making business. When you have a regular update schedule, and you're actually trying to keep to that schedule, you can't really afford the time to make everything perfect. And the imperfections you're talking about are pretty minor anyway. If you already have them ironed out, then I doubt your readers will be bothered by it.
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby djracodex on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 am

JSConner800 wrote:
Sortelli wrote:Someday down the road I'd like to redo the first half of this chapter, if not the whole thing, as long as that doesn't hold me back from advancing the story with new material. The backgrounds in some of those early pages were just terrible, and a lot of that was because I was still stuck on paper and doing layout much more poorly.

If your comic catches a reader's eye, and they see some quality art on your home page, they're not going to be scared off if the beginning isn't quite at that level. If anything, they might enjoy watching the progression from rough to polished as they work their way through the archives.

Yeah, I'd leave it. It is kinda neat to see the progression of art, and the backgrounds aren't in any desperate need of tweeking, it's better than no backgrounds at all.
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:37 am

The updated list:

Freakboy Did a Bad Thing -- reviewed by VeryCuddlyCornpone -- review
Loud Era -- reviewed by IVstudios -- review
Inhumation -- reviewed by djracodex -- review
Masadjra -- reviewed by VeryCuddlyCornpone -- review
Loud Era -- reviewed by Sortelli -- review
No Scrying -- reviewed by JSConner800 -- review
Steel Salvation -- reviewed by Humbug -- review
Crux -- reviewed by Yeahduff -- incomplete
Murder on the 95th/Dan Ryan -- reviewed by LibertyCabbage -- review
Freakboy Did a Bad Thing -- reviewed by JSConner800 -- review
Steel Salvation -- reviewed by VeryCuddlyCornpone -- review
Loud Era -- reviewed by LibertyCabbage -- review
Freakboy Did a Bad Thing -- reviewed by LadySol -- review
Quest -- reviewed by Sortelli -- review
No Scrying -- reviewed by djracodex -- review
Masadjra -- reviewed by robotthepirate -- incomplete
Sub-Consensus -- reviewed by ????
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 am

Wow, I think that's the best review:review ratio I've ever seen for this event.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby robotthepirate on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:21 am

And it's making me look bad!

It's not like I even have time just yet. I don't think I factored in moving house when I said I'd review. You'll get it though.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:56 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:The updated list:

It feels so weird seeing this list with no Scooby anywhere on it :(
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:32 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:

your spirit lives within us all
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:09 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:
RobboAKAscooby wrote:

your spirit lives within us all

You're awesome!
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:53 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Wow, I think that's the best review:review ratio I've ever seen for this event.
Yeah, it's going sweet, and everyone's been over the 500-word minimum as far as I've been keeping track.

robotthepirate wrote:And it's making me look bad!
Nah, it's only been, like, less than two weeks? It's just cool that W.A.Y.'s still getting placeholders two months after it started.

RobboAKAscooby wrote:It feels so weird seeing this list with no Scooby anywhere on it
It makes sense right now to eventually close W.A.Y. after a certain period of inactivity, in which case any pending reviews (e.g., the last placeholder) would be up for grabs. So, that would give an opportunity for more people to participate.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:42 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:You're awesome!

I'm afraid there's another hidden message beneath that hidden message.

[/quote]
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:10 pm

Oh no!!! I don't think I've been following the farting rules!!
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:02 am

Then watch out for farting police.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion