The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
Lot of references from Loony Tunes aren't that obscure nowadays. I mean you don't have to have lived in 40ies to be able to reckognize Peter Lorre caricature.
I would rather compare Family Guy to, say, Josie and the Pussycats. Back then, kids playing guitars and solving mysteries were what sold well, nowadays it's satire and pop-culture references.
I would rather compare Family Guy to, say, Josie and the Pussycats. Back then, kids playing guitars and solving mysteries were what sold well, nowadays it's satire and pop-culture references.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
But like was mentioned before, satire and pop-culture references have been around since, well, forever. It's not exactly a novel formula. I'd say Reality TV is more reasonable for the "this is only going to sell this generation" title.McDuffies wrote:Lot of references from Loony Tunes aren't that obscure nowadays. I mean you don't have to have lived in 40ies to be able to reckognize Peter Lorre caricature.
I would rather compare Family Guy to, say, Josie and the Pussycats. Back then, kids playing guitars and solving mysteries were what sold well, nowadays it's satire and pop-culture references.

- VeryCuddlyCornpone
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3245
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
- Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
Yeah, I see the point you're all making. I guess to me it just seems that when Family Guy makes a reference they're so much more... obnoxious about it. Like a character will actually lampshade that they're about to make a reference, whereas in the older cartoons it was more subtle. In a Looney Tunes short the joke doesn't rely on the fact that they are making a pop culture reference- the joke is... well, whatever the joke is. And if you got the reference it added to the humor.
Maybe I'm just being myopic about it but I feel like Family Guy just stopped trying to make actual jokes and Seth McFarlane decided Cultural Reference + Voice of GodBrian = Comedy Genius. And somehow that's working.
Maybe I'm just being myopic about it but I feel like Family Guy just stopped trying to make actual jokes and Seth McFarlane decided Cultural Reference + Voice of GodBrian = Comedy Genius. And somehow that's working.
- IVstudios
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3660
- Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
- Location: My little office
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
Don't forget to reuse the few good jokes you have over and over again. And again. And Again.VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I feel like Family Guy just stopped trying to make actual jokes and Seth McFarlane decided Cultural Reference + Voice of GodBrian = Comedy Genius.
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
For the family guy:
-Delivery is horrid.
-Repeating the same action a billion times.. when its not funny the first time, is pretty annoying.
-Tactless things, that are more sad than funny.
-Delivery is horrid.
-Repeating the same action a billion times.. when its not funny the first time, is pretty annoying.
-Tactless things, that are more sad than funny.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.

- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
What you guys say times two, since I think that it was never particularly good to begin with. By now they know they're doing a lame and unfunny show, and they're apparently hoping that by overdoing it, they'll somehow make it so bad it's good or something.
- VeryCuddlyCornpone
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3245
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
- Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
Is this directed at me or just in general?Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
In general, and in an ironic sense.VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Is this directed at me or just in general?Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.

- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
Apparently, some comedy is so bad it doing its job that it has the power to teach.Killbert-Robby wrote:In general, and in an ironic sense.VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Is this directed at me or just in general?Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
Apparently some comedy is so bad that I guess it does weird things like appeal to other people.Bustertheclown wrote:Apparently, some comedy is so bad it doing its job that it has the power to teach.Killbert-Robby wrote:In general, and in an ironic sense.VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote: Is this directed at me or just in general?

- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
And those people are poor students.Killbert-Robby wrote:
Apparently some comedy is so bad that I guess it does weird things like appeal to other people.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
Comedy is obective. It has to be or it'd not be billed as something that's supposed to make you laugh.Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
In the same way water's supposed to be wet, but someone people find water in a sink painfully hot while others are fine with it. I don't even know why you'd bring up completely pointless smartassing.Phact0rri wrote:Comedy is obective. It has to be or it'd not be billed as something that's supposed to make you laugh.Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.

- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse
Yes I suppose some people are okay with scolding water, just like some people are okay with bad timing, and delivery in slap-stick. That doesn't necessarily make it unfunny to everyone, it just makes it hard to watch for people who are a bit more sensitive to these sorts of things.Killbert-Robby wrote:In the same way water's supposed to be wet, but someone people find water in a sink painfully hot while others are fine with it. I don't even know why you'd bring up completely pointless smartassing.Phact0rri wrote:Comedy is obective. It has to be or it'd not be billed as something that's supposed to make you laugh.Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.



