The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by McDuffies »

Lot of references from Loony Tunes aren't that obscure nowadays. I mean you don't have to have lived in 40ies to be able to reckognize Peter Lorre caricature.
I would rather compare Family Guy to, say, Josie and the Pussycats. Back then, kids playing guitars and solving mysteries were what sold well, nowadays it's satire and pop-culture references.

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

McDuffies wrote:Lot of references from Loony Tunes aren't that obscure nowadays. I mean you don't have to have lived in 40ies to be able to reckognize Peter Lorre caricature.
I would rather compare Family Guy to, say, Josie and the Pussycats. Back then, kids playing guitars and solving mysteries were what sold well, nowadays it's satire and pop-culture references.
But like was mentioned before, satire and pop-culture references have been around since, well, forever. It's not exactly a novel formula. I'd say Reality TV is more reasonable for the "this is only going to sell this generation" title.
Image

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

Yeah, I see the point you're all making. I guess to me it just seems that when Family Guy makes a reference they're so much more... obnoxious about it. Like a character will actually lampshade that they're about to make a reference, whereas in the older cartoons it was more subtle. In a Looney Tunes short the joke doesn't rely on the fact that they are making a pop culture reference- the joke is... well, whatever the joke is. And if you got the reference it added to the humor.

Maybe I'm just being myopic about it but I feel like Family Guy just stopped trying to make actual jokes and Seth McFarlane decided Cultural Reference + Voice of GodBrian = Comedy Genius. And somehow that's working.
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by IVstudios »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I feel like Family Guy just stopped trying to make actual jokes and Seth McFarlane decided Cultural Reference + Voice of GodBrian = Comedy Genius.
Don't forget to reuse the few good jokes you have over and over again. And again. And Again.

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Phact0rri »

For the family guy:

-Delivery is horrid.
-Repeating the same action a billion times.. when its not funny the first time, is pretty annoying.
-Tactless things, that are more sad than funny.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by McDuffies »

What you guys say times two, since I think that it was never particularly good to begin with. By now they know they're doing a lame and unfunny show, and they're apparently hoping that by overdoing it, they'll somehow make it so bad it's good or something.

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
Is this directed at me or just in general?
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
Is this directed at me or just in general?
In general, and in an ironic sense.
Image

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Bustertheclown »

Killbert-Robby wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
Is this directed at me or just in general?
In general, and in an ironic sense.
Apparently, some comedy is so bad it doing its job that it has the power to teach.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Bustertheclown wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote: Is this directed at me or just in general?
In general, and in an ironic sense.
Apparently, some comedy is so bad it doing its job that it has the power to teach.
Apparently some comedy is so bad that I guess it does weird things like appeal to other people.
Image

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Bustertheclown »

Killbert-Robby wrote:
Apparently some comedy is so bad that I guess it does weird things like appeal to other people.
And those people are poor students.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Phact0rri »

Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
Comedy is obective. It has to be or it'd not be billed as something that's supposed to make you laugh.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Phact0rri wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
Comedy is obective. It has to be or it'd not be billed as something that's supposed to make you laugh.
In the same way water's supposed to be wet, but someone people find water in a sink painfully hot while others are fine with it. I don't even know why you'd bring up completely pointless smartassing.
Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Phact0rri »

Killbert-Robby wrote:
Phact0rri wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:I like how when it comes to Family Guy, humor is suddenly entirely objective.
Comedy is obective. It has to be or it'd not be billed as something that's supposed to make you laugh.
In the same way water's supposed to be wet, but someone people find water in a sink painfully hot while others are fine with it. I don't even know why you'd bring up completely pointless smartassing.
Yes I suppose some people are okay with scolding water, just like some people are okay with bad timing, and delivery in slap-stick. That doesn't necessarily make it unfunny to everyone, it just makes it hard to watch for people who are a bit more sensitive to these sorts of things.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Post Reply