The Official Livejournal Substitute Thread!

This is where past, great threads in the history of our forum go.

Re: The Official Livejournal Substitute Thread!

Postby Legion on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:38 pm

I just finished season 5 of The Wire. I think I need bereavement counseling now. : (
Legion
Regular Poster

Postby KWill on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:32 am

MixedMyth wrote:Bad news, everybody. :( I'm not gonna be on chat or anything for a while. My computer just went fubar in a hand basket. The none reparable use-the-processor-for-a-paperweight kind of fubar.

Eerie... You posted this ten months to the day that my laptop did the same. At least you managed to back things up.
KWill
Cartoon Hero

Postby MixedMyth on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:43 am

Well, I could see it coming months ahead of time .Things just started going bad...first the dvd drive kept skipping, then the hard drive gave me boot problems galore(though checkdisk seemed to fix that), then a bearing in the processor's fan went....that last may sound minor, but you can only find a replacement fan on the internet. However, that ended up being a non issue. See, with my computer's compact and INSANE design, in order to take the fan out you really have to take the processor out with it 'lest you accidentally break something. We had a hard enough time getting them apart when they were out of the case, I can't imagine prying them off in it. Anyhow, the processor had these clamps such that you had to tilt the thing in order to get it out and put it back in. Tilting a processor to get it in is not a good idea. XD Neither is having to wiggle it. But it's the only way to do it without those clamps getting in the way. So of course the thing didn't seat right and got fried when we turned the computer on. My brother says I should make the fried processor into a sculpture. Maybe I will. XD

Shouldn't affect my jam contributions other than having to do them entirely by hand and scanning them in.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Dr Legostar on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:59 am

just glad you managed to back things up.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Mvmarcz on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:01 am

I've a bit of a moral dilemma

As I've previously stated my oldest brother is getting divorced.
As far as I know(as in last I asked) My mother and grandmother N. (on mothers side) know, I know, my brothers do not(Why I don't know they're going to be 26 in 17 days they can take the news) but my grandmother M. and grandfather on my fathers side do not.
This is big to me because at a young age my brother was sent to live with our dad who lived with his parents(our grandparents). My dad was a bit of shit to put it lightly and his parents were eventually given custody of my brother so that he could be taken care of. So my grandmother M. basically raised my brother. His wife does NOT like my grandmother M. She prevents them from communicating, but has no problem cashing the birthday and anniversary checks she sends (piss me off much?). So of course I was a bit put off when I found out that my brother consulted my mother about the decision to divorce and even more put off that they apparently don't plan on telling grandmother M. any time soon......if ever.

Here is my dilemma...I feel obligated to tell grandmother M. She and I have become very close and I'm very upset that my brother chooses not to tell her. I know that the news will make her happy in some ways(none of us thought the marriage would last) and upset in others (he is not telling her and no one wants family to go through divorce). I KNOW that it is NOT MY PLACE. But I feel like it's something I have to do. I also know that if I do I risk alienating the one brother I have been the closest to all my life(at least until he got married...) My husband thinks I should, but my husband doesn't really like much of anyone in my family except my Grandmother M. and grandfather. So I don't know if his decision is skewed by that or not.
Help me mighty internet people most of which I do not know T_T
NJ: "You know the drill, you're AWESOME!"
I am the artist formerly known as M2
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:48 am

Mvmarcz wrote:I've a bit of a moral dilemma

As I've previously stated my oldest brother is getting divorced.
As far as I know(as in last I asked) My mother and grandmother N. (on mothers side) know, I know, my brothers do not(Why I don't know they're going to be 26 in 17 days they can take the news) but my grandmother M. and grandfather on my fathers side do not.
This is big to me because at a young age my brother was sent to live with our dad who lived with his parents(our grandparents). My dad was a bit of shit to put it lightly and his parents were eventually given custody of my brother so that he could be taken care of. So my grandmother M. basically raised my brother. His wife does NOT like my grandmother M. She prevents them from communicating, but has no problem cashing the birthday and anniversary checks she sends (piss me off much?). So of course I was a bit put off when I found out that my brother consulted my mother about the decision to divorce and even more put off that they apparently don't plan on telling grandmother M. any time soon......if ever.

Here is my dilemma...I feel obligated to tell grandmother M. She and I have become very close and I'm very upset that my brother chooses not to tell her. I know that the news will make her happy in some ways(none of us thought the marriage would last) and upset in others (he is not telling her and no one wants family to go through divorce). I KNOW that it is NOT MY PLACE. But I feel like it's something I have to do. I also know that if I do I risk alienating the one brother I have been the closest to all my life(at least until he got married...) My husband thinks I should, but my husband doesn't really like much of anyone in my family except my Grandmother M. and grandfather. So I don't know if his decision is skewed by that or not.
Help me mighty internet people most of which I do not know T_T

I feel like I need a flow chart to understand all of of this, but mostly because of that it seems like something overly complicated and overly complicated things tend to be massively problematic for everyone involved and other people not involved. Do you know WHY your brother doesn't want to tell your grandmother? It should be him who tells her, really.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Keffria on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:51 am

You said it yourself: it's not your place to tell her. It's not your news.

Instead of potentially causing a fight with your dear sibling, try to convince him to tell his grandmother what's going on. I can't figure out why he wouldn't, unless he's afraid she'll pull some kind of annoying "I told you so" garbage?
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

Postby Mvmarcz on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:59 am

The biggest problem with convincing him is that since he's been married he doesn't talk to me much either...He went from being my wonder twin(we're 6 years apart but very alike) to being someone I never hear from, but he apparently calls my brothers nearly every week.

I think he's not telling her because my SiL is convincing him not to.
I'm trying to get a hold of him to see how its going and such but he isn't calling me back, hardly ever does.
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:06 am

Mvmarcz wrote:The biggest problem with convincing him is that since he's been married he doesn't talk to me much either...He went from being my wonder twin(we're 6 years apart but very alike) to being someone I never hear from, but he apparently calls my brothers nearly every week.

I'm trying to get a hold of him to see how its going and such but he isn't calling me back, hardly ever does.

It strikes me as her influence that has kept you two apart and him and your grandmother. Perhaps when this is all over he will be back to who he was and you can open up a dialog again.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Mvmarcz on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:12 am

Dr Legostar wrote:
Mvmarcz wrote:The biggest problem with convincing him is that since he's been married he doesn't talk to me much either...He went from being my wonder twin(we're 6 years apart but very alike) to being someone I never hear from, but he apparently calls my brothers nearly every week.

It strikes me as her influence that has kept you two apart and him and your grandmother. Perhaps when this is all over he will be back to who he was and you can open up a dialog again.

If that's true than she's terribly two faced cause she has always called me "sis" and told me that even though they're splitting she still wants to be my sister... :( I've never had a sister and my husbands sisters are awful people. Man...this has been a f'ed up year I can't wait till it's over.
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:17 am

Mvmarcz wrote:
Dr Legostar wrote:

If that's true than she's terribly two faced cause she has always called me "sis" and told me that even though they're splitting she still wants to be my sister... :( I've never had a sister and my husbands sisters are awful people. Man...this has been a f'ed up year I can't wait till it's over.

I'm sorry if this is the case, but in the end it just doesn't seem like you should get involved any more than you are as a sister. There might be reasons beyond what you know that things are not being said, there might be all kinds of things that could blow up if you pushed. I would talk to your brother, try and convince him or hell just talk to him, see what's been going on, you don't even have to bring up him telling your grandmother. It's your job to maintain and strengthen the relationship you have between your brother and between you and your grandmother (yes it's also their jobs to work on their relationships too) but it's not your job to maintain their relationship, they're responsible for that.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Eve Z. on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:28 am

I just realized that some people get more attention than others.
And people who don't get attention and ask for it are called attention whores.
The others who don't have any problems with getting attention, are not.
...what goes around, comes around.
Eve Z.
Dead Humanoid Walking

Postby Mvmarcz on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:29 am

not much of a problem, they live in Illinois and she only talks to me a tiny bit more than her does >_> Some sister right?
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Postby Eve Z. on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:47 am

I never had a brother or a sister - just a cat - and I ain't complaining.
Eve Z.
Dead Humanoid Walking

Postby Dr Legostar on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:53 am

Mvmarcz wrote:not much of a problem, they live in Illinois and she only talks to me a tiny bit more than her does >_> Some sister right?

It's easy to say "we're like sisters" or brothers or whatever, when people don't actually do anything about it, doesn't count for much.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Killbert-Robby on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:55 am

Eve Z. wrote:I just realized that some people get more attention than others.

Well yes, thats kind of the point of being called an "attention whore". Someone who gets laid a lot isn't necessarily a whore. Someone who's not that appealing going out there and going "FUCK ME FUCK ME" is most definitely a whore. Someone who asks for money for sex is not a whore, the union saw to that.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby KWill on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:57 am

Eve Z. wrote:I just realized that some people get more attention than others.

When they told you life was fair, they lied. ;P
KWill
Cartoon Hero

Postby Eve Z. on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:04 am

everybody needs constant attention. :)

let's take someone who used to get attention and suddenly people start ignoring them.
They feel like the world is falling apart!

But it can depend on the person, why not? :roll:

however, they accept this situation after a while, but they can't be happy.
Eve Z.
Dead Humanoid Walking

Postby Mercury Hat on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:54 am

Agree with him or not, mv, your brother is an adult and he's free to make his own fuck-ups in life. You can give him advice and try to keep close, but if he wants to burn bridges with people close to him, it's up to him. It sucks and it hurts to stay out of it, but this sort of family politics doesn't sound like something you'd want to be caught in the middle of, you know?

Be there for support and be there for advice, to me that's the best you can and should do.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby Killbert-Robby on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:56 am

Getting in the middle of family politics is a daaaangerous place indeed. You usually just end up with two people pissed off at you.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Archives