This is SPARTA!!!

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Post by Ahaugen »

must not have been released on this side of the Atlantic, yet
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I don't plan to see it at all. Looks just like average Hollywood action blockbuster with lots of people yelling and killing each other, and so much overuse of slow-motion that Peckinpah would be ashamed - and it probably all adds up to nothing. Kind of a film that people go to see when they don't care what they're gonna see, so they don't want to hassle too much until they decide. Plus, it looks totally ugly, the overall colour and film quality seems like something that's designed solely to make you depressed.
I see many films over the year. If I was choosing them by how much money has been spent on advertising them, I'd hardly ever watch a few good films a year. So moving on to something else.

On the other hand, I approve of Shaun of the dead so I might just see that Hot Fuzz.
(I saw "Music and lyrics" last... me and my gf had a deal to pick each others films... so I watched this not at all bad romantic comedy, and she was somewhat confused by "Discrete charm of french burgouiese")

P.s. Die Hard wasn't really a dumb action. I don't like the film very much, but I'll admit any time that it was as clever as action films will go. When you see a barefoot opponent and try to fix him by shooting at the glass near him - that's a good sign that story isn't driven by characters acting unexplicably stupid.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

It comes out in April in the US. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

Komiyan wrote:the Persians had no sense of being an intimidating bad guy, due to them having their asses kicked repeatedly.
But that part *was* historically accurate, so they couldn't get rid of that. ;)

I like action, I like blustering paens about freedom, and I like half naked supermen. I liked the movie. :)
Image

User avatar
Kirb
A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am
Location: I'll wrestle you for him.
Contact:

Post by Kirb »

I've been waiting for Hot Fuzz for quite a while.

I think I'll avoid opening night, though.
ImageImage
*^*^*^*^* http://spacejunkarlia.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Comic
*^*^*^*^* http://deadgeargame.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Game
Image Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

War wrote:Best thing in the cinema currently.
Dear lord, yes!

Until Paprika hits theatres. Then it'll have a run for its money... against a limited release film.... D:
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

The Neko wrote:
War wrote:Best thing in the cinema currently.
Dear lord, yes!

Until Paprika hits theatres. Then it'll have a run for its money... against a limited release film.... D:
Paprika had better damn well come to Indy. I believe it is...but still. There will be blood spilt if it isn't.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Fraggle Rock
Contact:

Post by Garneta »

I can't wait to see Hot Fuzz...Jim had better get it at his theatre so I can go to the preview instead of sitting in there with a bunch of stinky tourists some other night!

Haven't seen 300. From the preview, it seems like something I wouldn't particularly enjoy. But twice just today I heard that it was good. Eh, though...there are things I want to see first!
Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Hot Fuzz is awesome. We definitely need more English comedy in cinemas. There's so very little of it out there.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6334
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:15 pm
Location: in your grandpa's clothes, I look incredible
Contact:

Post by Sortelli »

I'm only particularly interested in seeing 300 because of all the aneurysms it gave movie critics, but I can certainly understand Komi's take on the film.


So I guess I'm going to save myself for the new TMNT movie. Any movie that is ". . . preparing youngsters to become soldiers in America's never-ending war on humanity" has got to be AWESOME.

Edit: And if Hot Fuzz is by the Shaun of the Dead crew, it's definitely something I gotta see.

User avatar
CaptainClaude
Witty British President
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
Contact:

Post by CaptainClaude »

Joel Fagin wrote:Hot Fuzz is awesome. We definitely need more English comedy in cinemas. There's so very little of it out there.

- Joel Fagin
no you don't, it just means you wind up with films like blackball and sex lives of the potato men. you don't want them!

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Oh dear god sex lives of potato man :ick:
I don't think it's any better with romantic comedies aimed at part of USA audience that watchs films to hear sexy English accent (Bridget Jones and stuff).
Either way... "Full monty" and "Late night shopping" were awesome so I'll watch a brittish comedy anytime.

User avatar
Robin Pierce
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:48 am
Location: Should we check the internet? :S
Contact:

Post by Robin Pierce »

Sortelli wrote:Edit: And if Hot Fuzz is by the Shaun of the Dead crew, it's definitely something I gotta see.
It is. and it's worth it. and it's even funnier if you saw SotD first. I kinda watched them in the wrong order, which made SotD funnier, but made me miss a few things in Hot Fuzz.


On the topic of 300, the point with the "Wtf, 300 couldn't hold that many, it's not historically accurate" ... somehow I doubt that was the point. it was, however, 300 spartans, 700 thespians and about 1000 other miscellanious soldiers. Their offensive gave Athens the time it needed to prepare a naval offensive that decided the war. It's seen as such a massive victory because of the completely disproportionate casualties.

300 Spartans
700 Thespians
1,400 Greek allies in total

versus:
20,000 (Herodotus)
80,000+ (Ctesias)

>_> not that that has anything at all to do with the film, I just thought it was interesting, and decided to share the information =D
Image Image Image
Commissions currently at Sale Prices, for details click third link

Czar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:37 am
Location: Wandering.

Post by Czar »

It's not like a few, brave (to the point of maybe being suicidal) men haven't held their positions in the face of overwhelming odds before (err... after Thermopylae).

You know, funny thing about last stands is, the ones where the people making them all die but their side wins tend to become far more famous than the ones where the last standers win and actually manage to survive...
Så länge skutan kan gå, så länge hjärtat kan slå, så länge solen den glittrar på böljorna blå...

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

pierce studios wrote:On the topic of 300, the point with the "Wtf, 300 couldn't hold that many, it's not historically accurate" ...
I think the people complaining about historical accuracy are more concerned about the giant persian mutants and the greek soldiers going to battle in their underwear. :)

Nobody disputes that Leonidas held off an army orders of magnitude larger than his own.
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

The movie seems to resemble a greek-themed video game than it does a film. It's like watching God of War being adapted to screen.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
ShineDog
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:56 am
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Post by ShineDog »

My main issue with evwery piece of this film ive seen, is that rather than looking like they are on a battlefield outside, they appear to be in a tiny beige shed.

I know the greenscreened the entire thing,but cmon, ive never seen less convincing backdrops.
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

RemusShepherd wrote:
pierce studios wrote:On the topic of 300, the point with the "Wtf, 300 couldn't hold that many, it's not historically accurate" ...
I think the people complaining about historical accuracy are more concerned about the giant persian mutants and the greek soldiers going to battle in their underwear. :)
Ah but you see technically the whole movie is just the story being told by that general that bears a striking resemblance to Snake. I mean he's telling a story to a whole army who're about to attack the Persians. So off course all those mutants n crap could just be embelishments to make this a good little camp-fire story. It never claims to be a realistic movie.
Image

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

It wasn't the historical inaccuracies that were the problem, it was the lack of entertainment in the fighting :( It was repetative and crap.
Image
Image

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

I thought 300 was fun. Wasn't looking for much out of it, and got what I was looking for. The slow-mo was nice, and showed off the choreography pretty well. Especially liked the scene of the two guys fighting back-to-back taking all the enemies out in one long turning shot.

For a really good film 'bout a small number of men holding off an army, watch "Zulu" with Michael Caine. Freaking awesome.

Locked