This is SPARTA!!!
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
I don't plan to see it at all. Looks just like average Hollywood action blockbuster with lots of people yelling and killing each other, and so much overuse of slow-motion that Peckinpah would be ashamed - and it probably all adds up to nothing. Kind of a film that people go to see when they don't care what they're gonna see, so they don't want to hassle too much until they decide. Plus, it looks totally ugly, the overall colour and film quality seems like something that's designed solely to make you depressed.
I see many films over the year. If I was choosing them by how much money has been spent on advertising them, I'd hardly ever watch a few good films a year. So moving on to something else.
On the other hand, I approve of Shaun of the dead so I might just see that Hot Fuzz.
(I saw "Music and lyrics" last... me and my gf had a deal to pick each others films... so I watched this not at all bad romantic comedy, and she was somewhat confused by "Discrete charm of french burgouiese")
P.s. Die Hard wasn't really a dumb action. I don't like the film very much, but I'll admit any time that it was as clever as action films will go. When you see a barefoot opponent and try to fix him by shooting at the glass near him - that's a good sign that story isn't driven by characters acting unexplicably stupid.
I see many films over the year. If I was choosing them by how much money has been spent on advertising them, I'd hardly ever watch a few good films a year. So moving on to something else.
On the other hand, I approve of Shaun of the dead so I might just see that Hot Fuzz.
(I saw "Music and lyrics" last... me and my gf had a deal to pick each others films... so I watched this not at all bad romantic comedy, and she was somewhat confused by "Discrete charm of french burgouiese")
P.s. Die Hard wasn't really a dumb action. I don't like the film very much, but I'll admit any time that it was as clever as action films will go. When you see a barefoot opponent and try to fix him by shooting at the glass near him - that's a good sign that story isn't driven by characters acting unexplicably stupid.
- RemusShepherd
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2011
- Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
- Contact:
But that part *was* historically accurate, so they couldn't get rid of that.Komiyan wrote:the Persians had no sense of being an intimidating bad guy, due to them having their asses kicked repeatedly.
I like action, I like blustering paens about freedom, and I like half naked supermen. I liked the movie.
- Kirb
- A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
- Posts: 1828
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am
- Location: I'll wrestle you for him.
- Contact:
I've been waiting for Hot Fuzz for quite a while.
I think I'll avoid opening night, though.
I think I'll avoid opening night, though.


*^*^*^*^* http://spacejunkarlia.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Comic
*^*^*^*^* http://deadgeargame.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Game
Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
- Garneta
- Holding Out for a Hero
- Posts: 6518
- Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
- Location: Fraggle Rock
- Contact:
I can't wait to see Hot Fuzz...Jim had better get it at his theatre so I can go to the preview instead of sitting in there with a bunch of stinky tourists some other night!
Haven't seen 300. From the preview, it seems like something I wouldn't particularly enjoy. But twice just today I heard that it was good. Eh, though...there are things I want to see first!
Haven't seen 300. From the preview, it seems like something I wouldn't particularly enjoy. But twice just today I heard that it was good. Eh, though...there are things I want to see first!
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
- Sortelli
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 6334
- Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:15 pm
- Location: in your grandpa's clothes, I look incredible
- Contact:
I'm only particularly interested in seeing 300 because of all the aneurysms it gave movie critics, but I can certainly understand Komi's take on the film.
So I guess I'm going to save myself for the new TMNT movie. Any movie that is ". . . preparing youngsters to become soldiers in America's never-ending war on humanity" has got to be AWESOME.
Edit: And if Hot Fuzz is by the Shaun of the Dead crew, it's definitely something I gotta see.
So I guess I'm going to save myself for the new TMNT movie. Any movie that is ". . . preparing youngsters to become soldiers in America's never-ending war on humanity" has got to be AWESOME.
Edit: And if Hot Fuzz is by the Shaun of the Dead crew, it's definitely something I gotta see.
- CaptainClaude
- Witty British President
- Posts: 5647
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
- Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
- Contact:
- Robin Pierce
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 1610
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:48 am
- Location: Should we check the internet? :S
- Contact:
It is. and it's worth it. and it's even funnier if you saw SotD first. I kinda watched them in the wrong order, which made SotD funnier, but made me miss a few things in Hot Fuzz.Sortelli wrote:Edit: And if Hot Fuzz is by the Shaun of the Dead crew, it's definitely something I gotta see.
On the topic of 300, the point with the "Wtf, 300 couldn't hold that many, it's not historically accurate" ... somehow I doubt that was the point. it was, however, 300 spartans, 700 thespians and about 1000 other miscellanious soldiers. Their offensive gave Athens the time it needed to prepare a naval offensive that decided the war. It's seen as such a massive victory because of the completely disproportionate casualties.
300 Spartans
700 Thespians
1,400 Greek allies in total
versus:
20,000 (Herodotus)
80,000+ (Ctesias)
>_> not that that has anything at all to do with the film, I just thought it was interesting, and decided to share the information =D
It's not like a few, brave (to the point of maybe being suicidal) men haven't held their positions in the face of overwhelming odds before (err... after Thermopylae).
You know, funny thing about last stands is, the ones where the people making them all die but their side wins tend to become far more famous than the ones where the last standers win and actually manage to survive...
You know, funny thing about last stands is, the ones where the people making them all die but their side wins tend to become far more famous than the ones where the last standers win and actually manage to survive...
Så länge skutan kan gå, så länge hjärtat kan slå, så länge solen den glittrar på böljorna blå...
- RemusShepherd
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2011
- Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
- Contact:
I think the people complaining about historical accuracy are more concerned about the giant persian mutants and the greek soldiers going to battle in their underwear.pierce studios wrote:On the topic of 300, the point with the "Wtf, 300 couldn't hold that many, it's not historically accurate" ...
Nobody disputes that Leonidas held off an army orders of magnitude larger than his own.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Ah but you see technically the whole movie is just the story being told by that general that bears a striking resemblance to Snake. I mean he's telling a story to a whole army who're about to attack the Persians. So off course all those mutants n crap could just be embelishments to make this a good little camp-fire story. It never claims to be a realistic movie.RemusShepherd wrote:I think the people complaining about historical accuracy are more concerned about the giant persian mutants and the greek soldiers going to battle in their underwear.pierce studios wrote:On the topic of 300, the point with the "Wtf, 300 couldn't hold that many, it's not historically accurate" ...

I thought 300 was fun. Wasn't looking for much out of it, and got what I was looking for. The slow-mo was nice, and showed off the choreography pretty well. Especially liked the scene of the two guys fighting back-to-back taking all the enemies out in one long turning shot.
For a really good film 'bout a small number of men holding off an army, watch "Zulu" with Michael Caine. Freaking awesome.
For a really good film 'bout a small number of men holding off an army, watch "Zulu" with Michael Caine. Freaking awesome.











