hating your own comic!
- JTigerclaw
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1844
- Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am
- Location: Continuing the hearty tradition of pwnage.
- Contact:
- Evil Jamie!
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1408
- Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am
- Location: Tasmania
- CaptainClaude
- Witty British President
- Posts: 5647
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
- Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
- Contact:
-
DarkArtist
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 106
- Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:36 am
- Location: Michigan
- Contact:
I don't like to think about what I hate to much. It makes me quit drawing the darn thing.
Really I hate my art style. I would like it to be better, more consistent and alot cleaner looking.
The story is not to bad but I really would like to spell better.
I should update at least 3 times a week. ( Getting better at this)
I can't even stand to look at some of the older stuff in my archives because it looks SO BAD.
I would like to just scrap it all and start over but I can't give up on the four years of work I have in it.
Really I hate my art style. I would like it to be better, more consistent and alot cleaner looking.
The story is not to bad but I really would like to spell better.
I should update at least 3 times a week. ( Getting better at this)
I can't even stand to look at some of the older stuff in my archives because it looks SO BAD.
I would like to just scrap it all and start over but I can't give up on the four years of work I have in it.
- Stinkywigfiddle
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3479
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Under your skin
- Contact:
only thing you can do is make banished rawk. its amusing so far.Evil Jamie! wrote:While that's true, I can't help but wish it went from rock to even rocker still.Teammayhem wrote:I use your comic's suck to rock transition as a good pointers to show that comics can get better over time. (remember the review?)Evil Jamie! wrote:I'd make my early stuff not suck.
You know, i should work on this.
-
Game Misconduct
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:51 pm
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
The curse and the blessing of webcomics. You don't see that kind of development in printed comics because they're executed at once and published at once (though you can sometimes see progression from album to album) and because publishers require of artist to be a formed artist before publishing him.stinkywigfiddle wrote:stinkywigfiddle wrote:In comic strips I like to see how the characters change visibly from the first strip to the newest.
But since I'm trying to make a graphic novel-type comic, it annoys me how my characters have changed. Rather than seeing it as natural progression, I see it as inconsistency.
I don't know, I find it interesting. But I agree that webartists remain chained to their first-born too often and thus chained to their unflattering beginnings.
- Keffria
- The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

- Posts: 3748
- Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
- Location: not-France
And how!mcDuffies wrote:But I agree that webartists remain chained to their first-born too often and thus chained to their unflattering beginnings.
I think that most people start a webcomic in the good old I'm-bored-let's-start-a-webcomic mindset (I did!), and by the time that they realize they need a real plan, months or years may have gone by. Some comics are salvageable, but others are just dragged down by mediocre beginnings -- and it's hard to let go of your first baby.
- Keffria
- The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

- Posts: 3748
- Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
- Location: not-France
I think it's a mistake to keep on going with something that's fundamentally flawed. I still maintain that there are some first babies that cannot be saved.
Rather than wasting creative energies on trying to fix up a horrible wreck, why not take the experience and build something new and unhampered by previous poor decisions?
Rather than wasting creative energies on trying to fix up a horrible wreck, why not take the experience and build something new and unhampered by previous poor decisions?
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
It's just that you don't have to be extreme about it. If someone has worked a year, two or more on his comic - ie. enough to improve significantly from his early work - that means he is dedicated. Let's face it, some beginnings are simple a lost cause. And then, sometimes artists stuck to their creation for years and years after they have nothing more to say. It has nothing to do with artists who leave their comic after two weeks because they're not happy with how they draw.
Besides, you might look back at your old comics from any perspective. We gotta think about readers too, don't we. I don't think that readers buy disclaimers like *bare with me for six months of archives, it gets better after that* very much.
Besides, you might look back at your old comics from any perspective. We gotta think about readers too, don't we. I don't think that readers buy disclaimers like *bare with me for six months of archives, it gets better after that* very much.













