hating your own comic!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Ryuko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1103
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:05 am
Contact:

Post by Ryuko »

1. I wish my older comics didn't suck.

2. I wish my character designs were more consistent.

3. I wish I could update more.

4. I wish I didn't have to redo all my old comics if I want to publish them at any point.
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Yeah, but wish in one hand, spit in the other and see which one gets filled up first, eh?
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Ryuko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1103
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:05 am
Contact:

Post by Ryuko »

(shakes fist)
Image

User avatar
Princess
Regular Poster
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Eastern Vulgaria
Contact:

Post by Princess »

remember kiddies, a dream is a whish your heart makes :lol:
Image

User avatar
JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am
Location: Continuing the hearty tradition of pwnage.
Contact:

Post by JTigerclaw »

and a 'whish' is like a 'swoosh' that Nike can't sue you for using. :)

...almost
Image
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy

User avatar
Princess
Regular Poster
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Eastern Vulgaria
Contact:

Post by Princess »

whish typo © Mimo all rights reserved
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

...when you're fast asleep...
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Evil Jamie!
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Tasmania

Post by Evil Jamie! »

Teammayhem wrote:
Evil Jamie! wrote:I'd make my early stuff not suck.
I use your comic's suck to rock transition as a good pointers to show that comics can get better over time. (remember the review?)
While that's true, I can't help but wish it went from rock to even rocker still.
Image

User avatar
CaptainClaude
Witty British President
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
Contact:

Post by CaptainClaude »

Ryuko wrote:
Dutch! wrote:Yeah, but wish in one hand, spit in the other and see which one gets filled up first, eh?
(shakes fist)
STOP THAT!
You're getting spit everywhere.

User avatar
Blackaby
Regale her
Posts: 3441
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Sitting on the pudge.
Contact:

Post by Blackaby »

I... don't have anything I'd change. Apart from my list of HUGE STUPID STUFF UPS which I have on the Blackaby forum so I know what I screwed up.
LOOK AT BLACKABY HE IS FILLED WITH TEH SCREAMY OMG
Image
guest artists get free puppies
Image

User avatar
Cortland
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Bellevue, Neb.
Contact:

Post by Cortland »

I mostly wish I didn't have this obligation to update every weekday whether I feel like it or not. But then again, I want to rub D.J. Coffman's face right in it when he goes down for the count.
Image Image

DarkArtist
Regular Poster
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:36 am
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by DarkArtist »

I don't like to think about what I hate to much. It makes me quit drawing the darn thing.


Really I hate my art style. I would like it to be better, more consistent and alot cleaner looking.

The story is not to bad but I really would like to spell better.

I should update at least 3 times a week. ( Getting better at this)

I can't even stand to look at some of the older stuff in my archives because it looks SO BAD.

I would like to just scrap it all and start over but I can't give up on the four years of work I have in it.
Image

User avatar
Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Under your skin
Contact:

Post by Stinkywigfiddle »

stinkywigfiddle wrote:In comic strips I like to see how the characters change visibly from the first strip to the newest.
But since I'm trying to make a graphic novel-type comic, it annoys me how my characters have changed. Rather than seeing it as natural progression, I see it as inconsistency.
ImageImage

User avatar
DJMayhem
cor leonis
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm
Contact:

Post by DJMayhem »

Evil Jamie! wrote:
Teammayhem wrote:
Evil Jamie! wrote:I'd make my early stuff not suck.
I use your comic's suck to rock transition as a good pointers to show that comics can get better over time. (remember the review?)
While that's true, I can't help but wish it went from rock to even rocker still.
only thing you can do is make banished rawk. its amusing so far.
You know, i should work on this.

Game Misconduct
Regular Poster
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:51 pm

Post by Game Misconduct »

1. If I could update on time (even 4 AM update still doesn't do)
2. Finishing the strip at the last moment
3. When comes to looking back at the archives you can't get the execution right.
Game Misconduct: Season 2 - Lights, Camera, Actions.

Image

User avatar
Levi-chan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1498
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: THE TOOBS

Post by Levi-chan »

I hate the fact that my comic reminds me of how I once was.

[/emo]

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

stinkywigfiddle wrote:
stinkywigfiddle wrote:In comic strips I like to see how the characters change visibly from the first strip to the newest.
But since I'm trying to make a graphic novel-type comic, it annoys me how my characters have changed. Rather than seeing it as natural progression, I see it as inconsistency.
The curse and the blessing of webcomics. You don't see that kind of development in printed comics because they're executed at once and published at once (though you can sometimes see progression from album to album) and because publishers require of artist to be a formed artist before publishing him.
I don't know, I find it interesting. But I agree that webartists remain chained to their first-born too often and thus chained to their unflattering beginnings.

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

mcDuffies wrote:But I agree that webartists remain chained to their first-born too often and thus chained to their unflattering beginnings.
And how!

I think that most people start a webcomic in the good old I'm-bored-let's-start-a-webcomic mindset (I did!), and by the time that they realize they need a real plan, months or years may have gone by. Some comics are salvageable, but others are just dragged down by mediocre beginnings -- and it's hard to let go of your first baby.

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

I think it's a mistake to keep on going with something that's fundamentally flawed. I still maintain that there are some first babies that cannot be saved.

Rather than wasting creative energies on trying to fix up a horrible wreck, why not take the experience and build something new and unhampered by previous poor decisions?

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

It's just that you don't have to be extreme about it. If someone has worked a year, two or more on his comic - ie. enough to improve significantly from his early work - that means he is dedicated. Let's face it, some beginnings are simple a lost cause. And then, sometimes artists stuck to their creation for years and years after they have nothing more to say. It has nothing to do with artists who leave their comic after two weeks because they're not happy with how they draw.
Besides, you might look back at your old comics from any perspective. We gotta think about readers too, don't we. I don't think that readers buy disclaimers like *bare with me for six months of archives, it gets better after that* very much.

Post Reply