Survey: How do you pronounce the file extension .gif?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Well?

Hard G, as in "game"
44
73%
Soft G, as in "giraffe"
16
27%
 
Total votes: 60

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:
War wrote:Jiff is supposed to be pronounced like yiff though.

Do you really want to talk about yiffs?
Jiff is pronounced like yiff? I thought it had the "J" sound.

And there will be no talking about yiff here.
So sayeth our resident furry.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:23 am
Location: Anywhere else but here....
Contact:

Post by Prettysenshi »

Huh....I just spelled it out, usually. Or called it "jiff".

Oh well. Never really thought about it.

User avatar
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls
Posts: 3568
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Together
Contact:

Post by MariaAndMichelle »

We say... uh... "G-I-F"...

...which is a no-no, apparently. :oops: :oops:
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

rkolter wrote:
PeppermintAfterlife wrote:
War wrote:Jiff is supposed to be pronounced like yiff though.

Do you really want to talk about yiffs?
Jiff is pronounced like yiff? I thought it had the "J" sound.

And there will be no talking about yiff here.
So sayeth our resident furry.
Heh, I'm not the one that brought it up though.

rkolter: (I met Dave Hopkins, Mab, and Mat Sherer this past weekend)
Image

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:
War wrote:Jiff is supposed to be pronounced like yiff though.

Do you really want to talk about yiffs?
Jiff is pronounced like yiff? I thought it had the "J" sound.

And there will be no talking about yiff here.
Claude already mentioned Jif. It's not called Jif anymore, it's called Cif now. The reason for changing is because nobody pronounced it right. Jif should be pronounced yiff.

User avatar
Avatar007
Regular Poster
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:39 am
Location: Staring at the light at the end of the tunnel.
Contact:

Post by Avatar007 »

Warren wrote:Like the "j" because of it's association with porn.

(Get a hard-on in a GIF-fy!)
There are better filetypes for viewing porn though. Uh, not that I know about that or anything.


...

Stop looking at me!

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

I actually made a friend in thailand whoes name was Gif (like Gift without the T), but I was pronoucing it like that before I met her. I always go with the Hard sound on a new word..... but it appears that most spacers like it Hard.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:
rkolter wrote:
PeppermintAfterlife wrote: Jiff is pronounced like yiff? I thought it had the "J" sound.

And there will be no talking about yiff here.
So sayeth our resident furry.
Heh, I'm not the one that brought it up though.
You pretty much have outlasted all the other dog-like furries, haven't you?

User avatar
PieceOfSkunk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: DFW TX USA

Post by PieceOfSkunk »

Image

Never look a GIF horse in the mouth.

*runs*

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

I was also told that like gif, gigabyte should be pronounce "jigabyte," Kinda like "1.21 Gigawatts" in Back to the Future. I also still have fun saying, GUI interface. Unless I'm pronounceing that wrong too.
Col wrote:
PeppermintAfterlife wrote:
rkolter wrote: So sayeth our resident furry.
Heh, I'm not the one that brought it up though.
You pretty much have outlasted all the other dog-like furries, haven't you?
Yeah, it seems so. I miss Luprand and Esoterik. :(
Image

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

EEEEK!

Post by Cope »

PieceOfSkunk wrote:Image

Never look a GIF horse in the mouth.
BECAUSE IT WILL EAT YOUR FACE!
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:]Yeah, it seems so. I miss Luprand and Esoterik. :(
I miss them too
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Sam_Charette
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Sam_Charette »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:I was also told that like gif, gigabyte should be pronounce "jigabyte," Kinda like "1.21 Gigawatts" in Back to the Future.

You would be correct.


And for the record, I pronounce both gigabyte and gif with a hard G, even though that's not how you're supposed ta.
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Nutcracker wrote:
Joel Fagin wrote:Hard, like gift without the 't'.
Ditto. Seems logical for me to pronounce phonetically. You don't wanna know how I pronounce Faub.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

War wrote:
PeppermintAfterlife wrote:
War wrote:Jiff is supposed to be pronounced like yiff though.

Do you really want to talk about yiffs?
Jiff is pronounced like yiff? I thought it had the "J" sound.

And there will be no talking about yiff here.
Claude already mentioned Jif. It's not called Jif anymore, it's called Cif now. The reason for changing is because nobody pronounced it right.
Yeah, but how do your pronounce that?
Sif or Kif?

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Mr.Bob wrote:
War wrote:
PeppermintAfterlife wrote: Jiff is pronounced like yiff? I thought it had the "J" sound.

And there will be no talking about yiff here.
Claude already mentioned Jif. It's not called Jif anymore, it's called Cif now. The reason for changing is because nobody pronounced it right.
Yeah, but how do your pronounce that?
Sif or Kif?
*turns hose on MrBob*
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Gengar003
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 pm

Post by Gengar003 »

Ah, english. Your syntax and redundant letters confuse us to no end!

Jiff! Jiff! JIFF!
"If you hear a voice inside you saying "you are not an artist," then by all means make art... and that voice shall be silenced"
-Adapted from Van Gogh

User avatar
DJMayhem
cor leonis
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm
Contact:

Post by DJMayhem »

cjburgandy wrote:I actually made a friend in thailand whoes name was Gif (like Gift without the T), but I was pronoucing it like that before I met her. I always go with the Hard sound on a new word..... but it appears that most spacers like it Hard.
...and fast.
You know, i should work on this.

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

No no no, see . . . it's spelled GIF, but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove"!
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

Jim North wrote:No no no, see . . . it's spelled GIF, but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove"!
For God's sake, man, it's not Welsh.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

Locked