when did you realize you were unathletic?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

when did you realize you were unathletic?

Post by Grabmygoblin »

so in high school, I was on two varsity teams, the varisty track team and the varsity tennis team. I wasn't the best on either team, and notoriously hated running and 10-20-whatever-they-are-called (run back and forth, forwards, backwards, sideways, crisscrossing, etc) but I was good at what I did. I could hurl a discus upwards of 60 feet. I could throw a shot-put about 22-25 feet. I slammed that tennis ball down the sideline in a kill shot that was impossible to get, and if determined, could chase down any kill shot sent my way and send it back as a point because you would be too shocked to react, convinced I would never get that ball.

yeah, I was hot stuff. (at least that's how I remember myself)

so imagine my surprise today when I decided to cut a corner by climbing a fence, and nearly killed myself. maybe it was just the fact I was wearing the wrong outfit, but I doubt it. I barely made it over the fence, and landed flat on my ass instead of, as I would have in high school routinely, gracefully landing on my feet. my butt is still soaked.

I'm not in poor shape. and at 5' 4" 110 lbs, I hardly am a member of the US's growing number of obese.

but unathletic? yeah. yeah, I'm afraid I have to put myself into that column now.

whatever shall I do if I find myself dangling off a cliff by my fingertips now? :cry:
Image

User avatar
Alaina
Regular Poster
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:37 pm
Location: Portland until California
Contact:

Post by Alaina »

When I got picked last for every team at Sports Camp. :(

Even my little sister got picked faster because she was considered a "lucky charm."

(I may be uncoordinated, but I still adore sports.)

User avatar
DJMayhem
cor leonis
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm
Contact:

Post by DJMayhem »

I'm not in any teams, but I work out with my friends by sparring. Bamboo sticks hurt.
You know, i should work on this.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

I'm getting more athletic, I dance as often as possible (sadly less than once a week) and pickup games of soccer are starting again soon. Plus I walk at least 2 miles a day and do various other excercises. I was getting pretty out of shape recently but since I got rid of a girlfriend who my mother refers to as "the burden" I've been doing great!
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

I play a game of indoor cricket once a week and that keeps me going with short, sharp bursts. Occasionally I do quite well. Otherwise, I've started regularly walking around my block and down through the pine fire break a couple of times a week, occasionally jogging it when it's early and there's no one up to see me. I'm not half dead by the end of it now. Otherwise...you're kept on your feet pretty well constantly teaching young kids, so that's a fair bit of exercise right there.

And every now and then I work on the upper body when I take the kids out for a game and throw basketballs at them.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

I get winded running about 20 yards.

Once my DDR equipment comes in, I should come back to my "Just doesn't suck" phase.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

I realized I was unathletic stairs took the wind out of me...

And DDR is amazing for excersize, I have been told that's whay it was made in the first place was to make the game crazy japanese (so I was told) have something athletic to do... for a whole summer it was my only workout, but it was a damn good work out every time. I miss those days... =[

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I never really thought I was athletic in the first place.

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

Alaina wrote:When I got picked last for every team
Wow, maybe keenspace is the collective everyone picked last in PE. :(

I also never have played on any teams.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Levi-chan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1498
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: THE TOOBS

Post by Levi-chan »

I realized I was unathletic when I was try to impress this hot chick by playing some rugby. I look at her from time to time, and smile, trying to work my charms...

...Then she decides to join. She kicks the ball - BAM! It goes 30 yards or so.

And when I tried to kick the ball - BAM! It went completely vertically, then landed in front of me. My shoe ended up 15-something yards from me.

I then tried other sports, but she kicked my ass too. Even in basketball! Gaaahhh.

User avatar
Luprand
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm
Location: Cougar country
Contact:

Post by Luprand »

Heaven knows my parents tried ... tee-ball, baseball, basketball, track ... I stank at all of them. And if my grades in dance and martial arts are any indicator, the discovery I made in first grade is still true.

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

User avatar
Rianeva
Regular Poster
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:31 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by Rianeva »

PE has always been my bane. Always. But I never got picked last for anything, thanks to political correctness. =p

User avatar
Protectmyballs
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:46 pm
Location: BGSU
Contact:

Post by Protectmyballs »

*weighed 250 upon high school graduation*
*down to 200 halfway through freshman year*
*back up to 225 beginning of sophomore year*
*currently (end of sophomore year) 220, running and lifting 3 times a week (started a month ago or so)*

BUT:
cholesterol, blood pressure, etc is all in the "average" or "above average (on the good side)"

So, I've been fat all my life, but I've been secretly healthy all along.
Image Image Image I am a Shmoe.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

protectmyballs wrote:*weighed 250 upon high school graduation*
*down to 200 halfway through freshman year*
*back up to 225 beginning of sophomore year*
*currently (end of sophomore year) 220, running and lifting 3 times a week (started a month ago or so)*

BUT:
cholesterol, blood pressure, etc is all in the "average" or "above average (on the good side)"

So, I've been fat all my life, but I've been secretly healthy all along.
I've always been underweight. As a sophmore in highschool I could bench press 135 lbs, when I weighed that much...
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
PieceOfSkunk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: DFW TX USA

Post by PieceOfSkunk »

I got one hit in my last two seasons in Little League.

It was a two-run double, but still.

User avatar
Sput
Needs an Oil Checkup
Posts: 2831
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Post by Sput »

This was going to be a long winded post on why I AM in shape but I'd be lying.
lazy sput is lazy.

User avatar
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Adventuring
Contact:

Post by Tynan »

No worries RA and any other keengal your all hot to the max! So if your feeling bad just poke your fan boys here on the forums!

Personally though I've made a nice body for myself from running away from Keenspace death bots..then I learned to slow my posts...slightly.

User avatar
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Forum Pocket.
Contact:

Post by Kris X »

I am atheletic....

Okay...No I'm not-I lie. :(
Image
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.

User avatar
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Comi-what now?
Contact:

Post by Pimpette »

I've got grabmygoblin's case here - used to be pretty athletic. Track team since first grade, soccer one year, baseball one year, hurdles one year (god I sucked at that, but it was fun).

Then I hit high school.
Played lacrosse for one year - it was about the only sport my high school had then, other than basketball which I most certainly suck at.
Then, nothing.
I feel stupid getting a bit winded after running up a flight of stairs, so I'm going to see if I can fix this over the summer. Got my best friend's wedding to go to in august, and vanity insists I work out all summer to make sure I don't look dumb in a dress.
Also so I can dance all damn night without my legs falling apart.

I want to be an athletic nerd, dammit. 8)
Image

User avatar
Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Under your skin
Contact:

Post by Stinkywigfiddle »

When they forced it upon me in PE.

I particularly disliked removing my shirt for football and showering afterwards.


the sick pedophile.
ImageImage

Locked