Quality or quantity

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

More comics or more detail?

The numbers
10
23%
The style
33
77%
 
Total votes: 43

User avatar
The Chill Clan
Regular Poster
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:36 pm
Location: You know that feeling when someone is watch you? Yeah that's me..
Contact:

Quality or quantity

Post by The Chill Clan »

Ok, I've recently had a somewhat odd encounter with someone who has actually read my comic. They said that it was pretty good but, and I quote, "It's too damn detailed I think you should work on getting more comics done rather than screwing around with details!” Granted I spend some time on certain things but I for one never thought my comic wrought with detail, spelling errors yes, but not detail. Never the less I doubt I'll change how I do my comic any time soon; however, it had me wondering though, do people want great quality with fewer updates, or do they want less detail and quality in exchange for more comics. So what does everyone else think in general, quality or quantity?
Image

"Less talk, more Violence!"

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

It's all about the Qualntity!

Without a quality visual you might as well just be writing a novel or a joke book. If you need to take longer with the images then do so, your viewers are slaves to whatever update schedule you want. don't get confused and put on the sack cloth when you should be wearing the silk. I'm really really tired I fully expect none of this to make sense.
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Both, to a point. There is a certain level of quality which is just too low and a frequency of updates which is too slow. A great many readers will give up on a comic that updates just once a week. Anything above that is generally acceptable, three times a week being about average. Trouble is, it all depends too. College Roomies From Hell was updating five times a week and people were complaining it was too slow because the story wasn't moving anywhere. Similarly, McDuffies can get away with very scrappy and extremely quick artwork where Faub couldn't.

Basically, if a few people are complaining about the slow pace, they probably have a point. It may not be the frequency of the comics, though, but the pace of the story.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I think it's up to you and your temper for the most. Detailing is a good justification for not having more comics, only lack of effort is not. "mcDuffies" is heavily suffering from too-much-quantity/not-enough-quality. But that's my temper, I like to do things quick.

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Put it this way. There are comics out there with piles of strips that I don't read even though they may have new content for me each day. I think you have to be like the guy who belted the fortuneteller who kept laughing at him and strike happy medium.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Quantity means nothing if the product is terrible in both writing and artwork. But if you never update, then not many people are gonna read your stuff, so you need to be somewhere in between. But I'd lean towards the quality side more than the quantity one.
Image

User avatar
DJMayhem
cor leonis
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm
Contact:

Post by DJMayhem »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:Quantity means nothing if the product is terrible in both writing and artwork. But if you never update, then not many people are gonna read your stuff, so you need to be somewhere in between. But I'd lean towards the quality side more than the quantity one.
My view wrapped up in a nutshell. A good number a comics don't mean squat if they all suck.
You know, i should work on this.

User avatar
Netpoet
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:19 am
Location: Hiding from my employers in the interwebs!
Contact:

Post by Netpoet »

I will always value a comic for quality over quantity any day. I'd MUCH rather a comic be sporatic updating (as long as it wasn't like, oh.. years between updates) and high quality over a bunch of crap thrown together just to *HAVE* a comic up.

>Matt

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

A good comic must have both; if it can't manage it, then go for quality.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

I think it depends on the comic. and what you want to do. do you like writing or drawing more? is your comic, supposed to be quick, general and updated frequently..

in terms of the chill, I'd suggest quality over quanity cause its more graphic oriented. McDuffies on the other side is not so..
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Meep the Greek
Regular Poster
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:07 pm
Location: NC, USA
Contact:

Post by Meep the Greek »

I'm another vote for quality, although not necessarily of just the art variety. For me, its the writing that clinches it. I can put up with bad art, I don't mind copy-paste (to a certain extent), and I quite frequently enjoy comics with extremely simplistic styles (stick art, or even just geometry). But if the writing is crap, I don't want to bother with it.

(Although, if the art is stick-figure simple, I gotta say those better be some damn nice stick figures. No smudged pencil lines or eraser shavings unless they can convince me its a deliberate part of their style and not just a case of "I'm too lazy to huff on my paper before I scan it.")

I think one of the best ways to have both worlds, if your comic is of the heavily-detailed variety, is to build up a big backlog of pages before you even start updating. I had meant to do that with Fairy Trash (National Novel Writing Month was gonna be Heather's Comic Drawing Month, for example - one comic a day every day all November! HA. Didn't happen). I got, *ahem* overzealous, though, and only had four pages before I started updating. But my comic's not so detailed that it takes me too long to finish one, anyway. I can do two a day if I'm a good girl about it.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Equal parts of both.

I won't read a poor quality comic.

I'll stop visiting a rarely updating comic.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

Meep the Greek wrote:I think one of the best ways to have both worlds, if your comic is of the heavily-detailed variety, is to build up a big backlog of pages before you even start updating.
I've found that doesn't work so well. Oh, sure, you start out with a nice buffer, but the buffer quickly runs out. You still have to time your updates to the rate at which you can create finished products.

I think if a comic updates *regularly*, then they should worry about the quality. Anything's better than irregular updates. Whatever you do, don't miss updates by trying to produce them in greater quantity.
Image

User avatar
Humbug
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Not here.
Contact:

Post by Humbug »

Hmm, quality, yea. Then again, even with my random updates I still get pretty lazy with my comic. Image

User avatar
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:08 am
Location: The Big Apple
Contact:

Post by Isukiyomi »

I would say both because it gives a fair balance.
Valar Morghulis - Michiko Monogatari & Tehuti

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

You know why Scott Kurtz is where he is?

Work ethic.
Updates on a regular unbroken schedule, rain or shine. And he does it for years on end.

Another example would be Ian J of RPG World. His early work was terrible, but look at him now. Over 500 strips.
Image

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

I much rather read a comic that rarely updates, but has a great story and good artwork than a comic that has stick figures telling inside jokes. (That might be an extreme spectrum, but you know what I mean)

A comic with a good story and quality art is worth waiting for. That's why I'm not hounding Robin to update Mixed Myth. As her art work improved, her comic updates became further inbetween.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Ste-Julienne
Contact:

Post by Ti-Phil »

I'd tend to lean toward quantity... but with a good buffer!
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter

User avatar
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Yes, let us check!
Contact:

Post by K-Dawg »

Quality booyah!

I'm a patient person, I can wait a while for updates. Hell a decent amount of comics I read are great at the quality side but haven't been updating much. Comics like Copper, SGVY and Deity Permit.
Image

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

User avatar
Alaina
Regular Poster
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:37 pm
Location: Portland until California
Contact:

Post by Alaina »

It depends--if your comic is very story-heavy, then quantity would be best, as it would make the storyline easier to follow without massive breaks inbetween updates.

But if it's the art you're interested in, then quality. I'm more of a quality person myself.

Post Reply