Hunter S. Thompson--Suicide at 67

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Hunter S. Thompson--Suicide at 67

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Mourn, you fucking swine.
Last edited by Kevin Wolf on Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

Though I always mourn for the loss of a life, I've never heard of this person or his achievements. Sad to see one more human take the coward's exit, though.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
TheBladeRoden2
Regular Poster
Posts: 609
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:40 am
Location: Kirby Asgard
Contact:

Post by TheBladeRoden2 »

I think he's a writer
"i just want to get back to life, but for that i just need to get dead" -boby
Image
JR Productions Risen: The Forum

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Was.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Ymmot
Regular Poster
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: who?
Contact:

Post by Ymmot »

he was a sports writer and outlaw journalist...my favorite in fact...his books cracked me up like no other.

he will be dearly missed.

its funny...I just finished reading Kingdom of Fear less then a week ago.
Image

User avatar
Birdie
Keeps telling everyone stuff
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:50 am
Location: With your mom
Contact:

Post by Birdie »

I knew who Hunter S Thompson was, but I have yet to see/read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, though I got to hear about him when I was reading and studying the life of Oscar Zeta Acosta who was the basis of one of the characters in FaLiLV. Hmm, it is a shame though. Good contemporary writers are hard to find.
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

His work will be missed by every high school elitist pseudo-intellectual who believes that getting high next to a typewriter is an art form.

I probably shouldn't blame the man for his work, but I do find it a source of irritation.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Another author I never got around to reading... besides his Rolling Stone articles.

Whatever.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Obviously I posted this at the wrong Goddamn forum.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Well, you can't expect us to know every celebrity in the world, eh? I've never heard of him, but I guess that's not surprising.

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

He's not a random celebrity. He's one of the greatest and most influential journalists of the last century, not just a guy who gets high in front of his typewriter, as has been suggested.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

Teh sad. *Mourns*
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Adventuring
Contact:

Post by Tynan »

Kevin Wolf wrote:He's not a random celebrity. He's one of the greatest and most influential journalists of the last century, not just a guy who gets high in front of his typewriter, as has been suggested.
Lets just cool the jets! everyone is entitled to their opinion so you gotta take critiscism..even though its not directed at you in the slightest. So its absolutely fabulous that your so dedicated to preserving his memory, dont lash out at others for their views...that'd just take away from the man and make him seem like less of a good enfluence.

User avatar
Ymmot
Regular Poster
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: who?
Contact:

Post by Ymmot »

Kevin Wolf wrote:He's not a random celebrity. He's one of the greatest and most influential journalists of the last century, not just a guy who gets high in front of his typewriter, as has been suggested.
I agree.
I guess we are high school elitist pseudo-intellectuals
but it has been five years since I was in highschool
and I am not even a quasi-intellectual...


anyhow...Thompson did have a sports column on espn.com
if you haven't read his writing you can go and check it out...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/archive? ... root=page2
they are apparently putting out some of his older stuff in tribute

I'm not much of a sports fan and I'm sure I'm not alone here... but its Hunter S thompson so you know its good for a couple chuckles.

-ymmot
Image

User avatar
Numina
Regular Poster
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:30 pm

Post by Numina »

Kevin Wolf wrote:Obviously I posted this at the wrong Goddamn forum.
Sadly so. I suppose most of the younger generation only knows about him because Johnny Depp played him in a movie, if that. He was one of the most influential journalists ever, and there was far more to the man than "getting stoned next to a typewriter."
Image

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Ah, it's nice to know there are a couple kindred souls around here, at least.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
Luprand
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm
Location: Cougar country
Contact:

Post by Luprand »

Kevin Wolf wrote:Ah, it's nice to know there are a couple kindred souls around here, at least.
Yeah ... don't mind the neko; he kinda holds everything in contempt, especially if someone happens to like it. Granted, I've also never heard of this man, but it's always sad to hear about one more person who took that exit from the road.

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

I don't necessarily hate the work or the man. I just disliked the kids who lauded him as their idol. These were the same kids who walked up to the whiteboard and drew a squiggly line, called it an interpretation of a poem, and sat down expecting praise and laughter from the rest of the class. These were the kids who told everyone else who had literary evidence to back up their opinions to shut up so they could talk. The walked out in the middle of a girl's Junior-year presentation because they felt like they were entitled to leave the class whenever they wanted. For the most part, I just associate him with those jackasses.

Unfortunately, we covered his works around the same time as the beat poets, so I lumped them together into one memory.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Comi-what now?
Contact:

Post by Pimpette »

Damn.

Though my experience with Hunter S Thompson has only been the movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (excellent) and another one with Bill Murray that's been sitting unwatched in this house for a year or more, I remove my hat in his memory.

Though only for a few minutes.
Because it's a pimp hat.
Image

User avatar
Creepychick
Regular Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Here. What the hell do you mean, location?

Post by Creepychick »

He will be sorely missed by us psudo-smarties.
Ooooooh...spooky.

Locked