I've started to learn how to draw (i doodeld before but knew very little about what i was doing) a few months ago, around the time i joined here, using tutorials from the net, namely:
"Fun with a pencil"
McDuffies's (thanks a lot, i picked a few good hints from there)
How to draw manga (mostly just drawing simple manga faces)
I can't say i've "done" them (as in drawing everyhing - too lazy), i plan to do that someday, but i did read them - they helped, and i think i'm improving.
But i've run into a weird problem:
I've used only my tablet to do them, and basicly everything that i posted on here, or that will go in my comic (once i'll get back to doing it).
So i've tried to do some drawing on paper, and i was disappointed that i don't seem to be able to translate what i've learned into that, i'm back to square one. I thought hand-eye coordonation should be better, if anything on paper.
Anyone else had this happen to them ?
Is it my technique ? My sketches are pretty ugly/messy when i start with them, and i keep refining them until i can live with them.. a rather tedious process which involves lots of erasing. I'm quicker now, but i still do a lot of little corrections here and there.
Is it the tools ? What is the most basic set of tools that i'd need for pencil drawings with lots of erasing going on
How about for simple inking ?
I'm using Art Dabbler to do my sketches, which is supposed to be a "natural media" program (i chose it to be as close to "real" drawing) - so i don't use layers undos and stuff like that a lot until the coloring stage.
Second problem - digital "inking":
I'm using PSP.
I've found that just darkening the sketches and coloring on a mask layer above makes the edges look rather messy/pixelated unless i seriously shrink the image - which i don't want to do because they don't have that high a resolution to begin with - probably around 800 pixels wide or less.
I've tried using the pencil tool but i can't seem to get the hang of it ... doing it point by point seems a chore not unlike editing my image pixel by pixel
Does anyone have any advice on this (other then get a vector drawing program) ?
Also just as an expresion of frustration: every single body drawing tutorial seems to use it's own, and rather incompatible with others way of building.
I mean they seem totally incompatible ?! Argh. Right now i'm just drawing stick figures with aproximate proportions and hope for the best...





