Official Info: The Second Annual St. Louis Comic Cookout!
- [AlmightyPyro]
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 5339
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:12 pm
- Location: noitacoL
Man! No Fair!
I'm only 17, and there's no way my parents would let me come. And I even live relatively close to Dallas Texas so I could hop a ride.

I wish I was 18... mabey I can go to the 2006 one too. ... If not, I'm stabbing my parents... no seriously.
I'm only 17, and there's no way my parents would let me come. And I even live relatively close to Dallas Texas so I could hop a ride.
I wish I was 18... mabey I can go to the 2006 one too. ... If not, I'm stabbing my parents... no seriously.
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
- DocBrown03
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 50
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:40 am
- Location: kansas
- Contact:
Wow, looks like we'll draw quite a crowd this time around.
Some questions/suggestions and generally start discussion on potential activities:
time: last time the bulk of the cookout was from I think saturday afternoon to late night then sunday morning and afternoon were for wrapping up and tasering. Any chance of extending it a bit this time? I don't know what kind of jobs/classes/etc. people have during july but I don't mind skipping a day of summer school to cram in an extra day of neatness. If not then its still good, we'll just have to go light on that whole "sleep" thing, besides last time I slept at your house I giant electric rodent attempted to anally violate me.
Activities:
eating obviously, for the great foodage. Some other activities we might want to try:
Anime: Faub's anime trove provided a lot of entertainment for all of us (although I personally blame him for watching Puni Puni Poemy), so I say this is definitely worthy of more. Excel saga is still great but I'm sure faub has many many more weird things he could show us.
Lan/console games: this didn't really end up happening at the last cookout, and I'm sort of wondering how much room they'll be to set everyone up but it's still a neat idea. Either bring our boxes and laptops and start blasting each other in some FPS, Warcraft 3, or similar. Or bring in some good multi-play console systems like Gamecube or X-box and have a tournament.
RPGs: The Call of Cthulhu game I hosted at the last cookout took up plenty of our time and I think it went off well enough that we should try again (not necessarily CoC this time). Since Jim can hopefully make it this time maybe he can lead us this time (I'd love to give shadowrun a try) or any other DM-experienced among the cookouters. If it does come down to me again, I'm perfectly willing to make a game for you, hopefully I'll have learned what the words "one-shot adventure" means by then.
Other games: these are what I like to call "wussy games" (just kidding) : cards, board games, jacks, what have you.
anything I'm missing?
Some questions/suggestions and generally start discussion on potential activities:
time: last time the bulk of the cookout was from I think saturday afternoon to late night then sunday morning and afternoon were for wrapping up and tasering. Any chance of extending it a bit this time? I don't know what kind of jobs/classes/etc. people have during july but I don't mind skipping a day of summer school to cram in an extra day of neatness. If not then its still good, we'll just have to go light on that whole "sleep" thing, besides last time I slept at your house I giant electric rodent attempted to anally violate me.
Activities:
eating obviously, for the great foodage. Some other activities we might want to try:
Anime: Faub's anime trove provided a lot of entertainment for all of us (although I personally blame him for watching Puni Puni Poemy), so I say this is definitely worthy of more. Excel saga is still great but I'm sure faub has many many more weird things he could show us.
Lan/console games: this didn't really end up happening at the last cookout, and I'm sort of wondering how much room they'll be to set everyone up but it's still a neat idea. Either bring our boxes and laptops and start blasting each other in some FPS, Warcraft 3, or similar. Or bring in some good multi-play console systems like Gamecube or X-box and have a tournament.
RPGs: The Call of Cthulhu game I hosted at the last cookout took up plenty of our time and I think it went off well enough that we should try again (not necessarily CoC this time). Since Jim can hopefully make it this time maybe he can lead us this time (I'd love to give shadowrun a try) or any other DM-experienced among the cookouters. If it does come down to me again, I'm perfectly willing to make a game for you, hopefully I'll have learned what the words "one-shot adventure" means by then.
Other games: these are what I like to call "wussy games" (just kidding) : cards, board games, jacks, what have you.
anything I'm missing?
- Zhan_Dvega
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 322
- Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:49 pm
*tracks down Pyro's ip and address and kidnaps him!*[AlmightyPyro] wrote:Man! No Fair!
I'm only 17, and there's no way my parents would let me come. And I even live relatively close to Dallas Texas so I could hop a ride.
I wish I was 18... mabey I can go to the 2006 one too. ... If not, I'm stabbing my parents... no seriously.
-
Spriteville, USA
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2060
- Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm
RPG: If anyone locally can GM a "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" game, I am quite partial to it. I think everyone would have excellent fun.
Some notes on AFMBE is that it's supposed to have a high player turnover rate. No resurrecting in this. It involves zombies naturally. The whole thing is pretty intuitive. It's the first rolepleying game I had ever played and I picked it up like no bodies business. Really pretty simple. If you know about Unisystem, it uses that.
Just an idea. I like zombies. =]
Some notes on AFMBE is that it's supposed to have a high player turnover rate. No resurrecting in this. It involves zombies naturally. The whole thing is pretty intuitive. It's the first rolepleying game I had ever played and I picked it up like no bodies business. Really pretty simple. If you know about Unisystem, it uses that.
Just an idea. I like zombies. =]
- Rkolter
- Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

- Posts: 16399
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
- Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
- Contact:
The cookout website has been updated!
We already have 9 people definately coming (and up to three more guests)! That right there puts us over last year's total.
I added carpool information and the list of names (yesses and maybes).
Reminder - if you're not paying big bucks to get here, you have to bring food of some kind. Let me know what you want to bring either now, or as the time gets closer.
[EDIT] Spriteville posted before I did, but after I updated - I'll add his rpg suggestion in the next update of the cookout site. Zombies rock.
We already have 9 people definately coming (and up to three more guests)! That right there puts us over last year's total.
I added carpool information and the list of names (yesses and maybes).
Reminder - if you're not paying big bucks to get here, you have to bring food of some kind. Let me know what you want to bring either now, or as the time gets closer.
[EDIT] Spriteville posted before I did, but after I updated - I'll add his rpg suggestion in the next update of the cookout site. Zombies rock.
- Rkolter
- Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

- Posts: 16399
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
- Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
- Contact:
Oh hell.cortland wrote:Grrr...![]()
Didn't I mention in the last thread that the weekend of June 4-5 was the ONLY weekend in June I wouldn't be able to do this? Oh well. Another cookout without Cortland.
I wrote down the last weekend of June.
Fuck. Sorry Cortland. I'd change it, but I already put in for vacation that week and got a backup assigned.
- The Chill Clan
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:36 pm
- Location: You know that feeling when someone is watch you? Yeah that's me..
- Contact:
I'm in and I'll kidnap Orion again if necessary . . . hell I'll do even if it isn't.
Here's the deal folks, If you need a ride and you don' mind road trips wih people you've never met before, then I'm your wheelman. I have lots o' credit cards this year so I can probably rent a fairly large SUV too, so if you live between Cleveland and St. Louis I'll swing by and duct tape you to the hood of my car. And if you're a little out the ways don't worry I like driving so I'll probably come and get you anyway (I also like duct-taping people to my car)
Here's the deal folks, If you need a ride and you don' mind road trips wih people you've never met before, then I'm your wheelman. I have lots o' credit cards this year so I can probably rent a fairly large SUV too, so if you live between Cleveland and St. Louis I'll swing by and duct tape you to the hood of my car. And if you're a little out the ways don't worry I like driving so I'll probably come and get you anyway (I also like duct-taping people to my car)
- Christwriter
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1915
- Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:56 am
Well...talked it over with Mom yesterday, and I think my status can be upgraded to yes. She knows how much I liked it last year and she'll be able to take time off by then...you know...maybe the fact that it's in June and she's working as a paraprofesional teacher has something to do with it. </sudden obvious realization>
The only question is whether we fly up there or drive. I mentioned the car pool idea to her, and she didn't immedately say "No way", which is good. Her only reservation--and now it's mine--is that the van I thought we would be using is in my father's posession...which means it's AWOL (Don't ask. Please. Lots of baggage there). Her car isn't tiny, but it's got a maximum seat capacity of five, two in front and three across the back. I'm going to say four, though, because we're talking about at LEAST a six hour drive, and I don't know anybody who would go without that much leg room. So right now the passengery level is limited to two, maybe only one if we bring my brother, which we probably will. Leaving him here, alone, with certain family members, would be like dangling meat in front of a pack of wolves. I'll stay on that part, though...I really want that van. It handled the trip last year pretty well.
So...still at the "no promises" stage for rides, but it looks like more of a possibility now than it did yesterday. Just as long as nobody knows any Veggietales songs. Last time I rode in a large car with other people not my family, I recieved a three hour a capella Veggietales concert, free of charge.
*shudders*
I still have nightmares.
CW
The only question is whether we fly up there or drive. I mentioned the car pool idea to her, and she didn't immedately say "No way", which is good. Her only reservation--and now it's mine--is that the van I thought we would be using is in my father's posession...which means it's AWOL (Don't ask. Please. Lots of baggage there). Her car isn't tiny, but it's got a maximum seat capacity of five, two in front and three across the back. I'm going to say four, though, because we're talking about at LEAST a six hour drive, and I don't know anybody who would go without that much leg room. So right now the passengery level is limited to two, maybe only one if we bring my brother, which we probably will. Leaving him here, alone, with certain family members, would be like dangling meat in front of a pack of wolves. I'll stay on that part, though...I really want that van. It handled the trip last year pretty well.
So...still at the "no promises" stage for rides, but it looks like more of a possibility now than it did yesterday. Just as long as nobody knows any Veggietales songs. Last time I rode in a large car with other people not my family, I recieved a three hour a capella Veggietales concert, free of charge.
*shudders*
I still have nightmares.
CW
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a><a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.
Never played it before myself, but I ran a call of cthulhu game at the last cookout and at least half the people hadn't touched an rpg before let alone the cthulhu system, so I figure if its easy to learn you won't have a problem finding players.Spriteville, USA wrote:RPG: If anyone locally can GM a "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" game, I am quite partial to it. I think everyone would have excellent fun.
Some notes on AFMBE is that it's supposed to have a high player turnover rate. No resurrecting in this. It involves zombies naturally. The whole thing is pretty intuitive. It's the first rolepleying game I had ever played and I picked it up like no bodies business. Really pretty simple. If you know about Unisystem, it uses that.
Just an idea. I like zombies. =]










</a>






