Old Lady Sues Teenagers For Being Nice

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Taiwanimation
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Fremont, CA
Contact:

Post by Taiwanimation »

Makes you wonder if juries are really randomly selected from the population...
Image

Ian Moulding
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
Contact:

Post by Ian Moulding »

Crossfire wrote:*sheds a tear for his brothers back in the Hall* Yeah I was a Witness! I sorta had a falling out after a big depression so I don't go anymore... but we're still friends. They're good people! We just want to be loved! :cry:
See, that's the problem. Try for fear; It's easier to get, and people make fewer jokes.

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Post by Valuedan »

chrismills wrote:
valuedan wrote:Don't blame the lawyers, blame the law.
I'll blame both, thank you. Frivolous lawsuits wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if half the lawyers in this country hadn't sold their souls for a dollar. Every time my faith in humanity gets a little better, something like this happens. Fuck.

Is there any more room on the moon?
It's the lawyers' jobs to defend their clients by any means possible. If the law just happens to be on their side in some case, then blame the lawmakers.
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

valuedan wrote:
chrismills wrote:
valuedan wrote:Don't blame the lawyers, blame the law.
I'll blame both, thank you. Frivolous lawsuits wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if half the lawyers in this country hadn't sold their souls for a dollar. Every time my faith in humanity gets a little better, something like this happens. Fuck.

Is there any more room on the moon?
It's the lawyers' jobs to defend their clients by any means possible. If the law just happens to be on their side in some case, then blame the lawmakers.
The whole "sue everyone" practices came about pretty much in conjunction with the "no win, no fee" offers. The allure of financially safe lawsuits has really drawn more people out into suing anyone and everyone. It's really the lawyers to blame.

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Post by LibertyCabbage »

i wonder how many sacks of flaming dog shit that lady gets on her doorstop every night.

if i were there, i'd do it!
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

valuedan wrote:
chrismills wrote:
valuedan wrote:Don't blame the lawyers, blame the law.
I'll blame both, thank you. Frivolous lawsuits wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if half the lawyers in this country hadn't sold their souls for a dollar. Every time my faith in humanity gets a little better, something like this happens. Fuck.

Is there any more room on the moon?
It's the lawyers' jobs to defend their clients by any means possible. If the law just happens to be on their side in some case, then blame the lawmakers.
This "excuse" is the reason why the "why won't a viper bite a lawyer?" joke was invented. A job where you are required by law to forget your prinicples, beliefs and morals if so required is evil by definition, regardless of how well it pays.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

This is why Wolfram and Hart is so very plausible

::braces to be attacked by all the Buffy/Angel haters::
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

legostargalactica wrote:This is why Wolfram and Hart is so very plausible

::braces to be attacked by all the Buffy/Angel haters::
hee. that was a good show.
Image

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Post by Valuedan »

JexKerome wrote:
valuedan wrote:
chrismills wrote: I'll blame both, thank you. Frivolous lawsuits wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if half the lawyers in this country hadn't sold their souls for a dollar. Every time my faith in humanity gets a little better, something like this happens. Fuck.

Is there any more room on the moon?
It's the lawyers' jobs to defend their clients by any means possible. If the law just happens to be on their side in some case, then blame the lawmakers.
This "excuse" is the reason why the "why won't a viper bite a lawyer?" joke was invented. A job where you are required by law to forget your prinicples, beliefs and morals if so required is evil by definition, regardless of how well it pays.
Wow, you're right! Well, we'd better kill all the lawyers then, huh? It's not like they serve a purpose or anything, right?

RIGHT?
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

Even the most evil of creatures serves a purpose, if only to make the goodness of the world more... um... good. By comparison. Yeah.

...Damn, that fell apart, didn't it?
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

valuedan wrote:
JexKerome wrote:
valuedan wrote: It's the lawyers' jobs to defend their clients by any means possible. If the law just happens to be on their side in some case, then blame the lawmakers.
This "excuse" is the reason why the "why won't a viper bite a lawyer?" joke was invented. A job where you are required by law to forget your prinicples, beliefs and morals if so required is evil by definition, regardless of how well it pays.
Wow, you're right! Well, we'd better kill all the lawyers then, huh? It's not like they serve a purpose or anything, right?

RIGHT?
Whoa there, Nellie! You sure like to go to the extremes, don't you? No middle ground? They're EVIL SO THEY MUST BE DESTROYED? Where in that post did I say that?

What I said: the job of a lawyer is evil, and people notice and react to it, using the viper joke as an example. Never did I ask for their extermination; I simply pointed out something that for some reason people don't get.

As for necessary evil... I don't know. Shortly before the War of Secession, some US judges called slavery "a necessary evil" as they ruled in favor of it. Which means, of course, that eventually conditions arise where such an evil is no longer necessary. I mean, America's among the strongest countries on the planet even though their economy took a hit with Emancipation, right?

So maybe, some day, lawyers will no longer be needed.

But while they are, things like frivolous lawsuits will keep happening.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
[AOD]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: On the run!
Contact:

Post by [AOD] »

JexKerome wrote:Shortly before the War of Secession
Now that's an interesting idea! Why don't we create a state (by which I mean a nation) whose entire population consists soley of lawyers who've been forcibly relocated to a barren area somewhere in Utah? Something like what was done to the Navajo, only instead of gambling being the economy of said lawyer-state, it'd rely on lawyering services...

@~AoD
My Comic Hexagon Death Squad

A Comic I do with my Buddy Raocow: Artificial Time XS

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

I wish I didn't have lawyers in my family, because then it would be easy to say, "All lawyers are slime-pigs who rape our society."

The fact is tho, most of them aren't bad people. As is usual, the minority sets the reputation of the majority, and once that reputation is set, nobody gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.

"Twice I did good, that I heard never. Once I did bad, that I heard ever."

The lawyers in my family handle this by memorizing all the lawyer jokes they can, and when someone tries to spring one on them, they take over and tell a whole bunch.

It's hard to be upset at someone who is laughing at themselves.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

And you have to remember that lawyer is just the generic term for the different kinds of lawyers you get. There's no super judge which attends any kind of case. You have personal injury lawyers (probably the worst of them). The only lawyer I know that I can think of offhand is a specialist in child abuse cases.
There's ones who specialise in fraud cases, in IP cases, juvie crime etc. We're generalising things here really. We just need to kill personal injury lawyers.

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

mcDuffies wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
Jim North wrote: I feel a Monty Python skit coming on.
Nobody expects the Spanish... girls with cookies?
I think Jim was referring to vicious gangs of baby-snatchers (continuement of hells grannies).
Eh? Oh, no . . . though that would have worked too. ;)

I was actually referring to MP and the Holy Grail . . .

"Old woman!"
"Man!"
"Man! Sorry! What knight lives in that castle over there?
"I'm 37!"
"I- . . . what?"
"I'm 37! I'm not old."

:P
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

rkolter wrote:I wish I didn't have lawyers in my family, because then it would be easy to say, "All lawyers are slime-pigs who rape our society."

The fact is tho, most of them aren't bad people. As is usual, the minority sets the reputation of the majority, and once that reputation is set, nobody gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.

"Twice I did good, that I heard never. Once I did bad, that I heard ever."

The lawyers in my family handle this by memorizing all the lawyer jokes they can, and when someone tries to spring one on them, they take over and tell a whole bunch.

It's hard to be upset at someone who is laughing at themselves.
Well, it's not even that easy. We're talking about a different set of principles. For instance, lawyer's job is to defend a person who is obviously guilty too. I wouldn't, but that's why I never thought of being a lawyer. Just like I never thought of being a doctor because idea of cutting live flesh is gross to me. Now, who am I to say that my principles are right, and their principles are wrong? There probably is an extreme mainority of lawyers who look like caricatures of themselves. But most of lawyers would do something that would be against my principles, which doesn't neccesary mean that they are bad people. Bed person is not defined as "someone who would do something I wouldn't", because my moral code is debatable just as anybody's. To go a bit extreme in examples, I would never be a prostitute, but does that make all prostitutes bad people? I think not. Specailly, it's there is someone in this world who's to judge right from wrong, that person is certainly not me.
Bottom line, lawyers are like news reporters, awfull and extreme for the most we get to see, but only because the entire society is going toward awfull and extreme. But we do need them, nevertheless.

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Post by IVstudios »

The thing that bugged me most about that article was that the families offered to pay the ladies medical bill, but she decided to sue them anyway because the "apology wasn't sincere." And then has the gall to claim she didn't enjoy suing them. :-?

And I've worked in a courthouse, so I know not all lawyers are evil jackasses. After all, none of those evil lawyers would have jobs if it weren't for the equally evil people who hire them.

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Just personal injury lawyers!

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Post by IVstudios »

Well, I worked in traffic court, so I never saw any of them. Just a lot of people who think the speed limit is a recommendation.

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

A lot of the time I don't think a lawyer is even necessary or should be allowed. Were doing 100 in a 30 limit? Pretty open and shut I'd say, shouldn't even be an option for a lawyer.

Locked