Old Lady Sues Teenagers For Being Nice

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

Mr.Bob wrote:She was only 49. She's not a real old lady.
I feel a Monty Python skit coming on.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

And she got our KeenBucks taken away!
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

While I agree the lawsuit was ridiculous, delivering cookies at 10:30 at night ain't the best time for people. Some might be in bed, or in their pjs, or whatever. By 10:30, if I'm at home, I don't really wanna have anything to do with the outside world. It wouldn't have been that hard to wait until morning to deliver the cookies. The woman definitely overreacted, but the girls kind of made a dumb decision too.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Jim North wrote:
Mr.Bob wrote:She was only 49. She's not a real old lady.
I feel a Monty Python skit coming on.
Nobody expects the Spanish... girls with cookies?
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
NotoriousMEQ
Regular Poster
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: ATL -> Ottawa
Contact:

Post by NotoriousMEQ »

Col wrote:While I agree the lawsuit was ridiculous, delivering cookies at 10:30 at night ain't the best time for people. Some might be in bed, or in their pjs, or whatever. By 10:30, if I'm at home, I don't really wanna have anything to do with the outside world. It wouldn't have been that hard to wait until morning to deliver the cookies. The woman definitely overreacted, but the girls kind of made a dumb decision too.
The girls did check and only delivered cookies to houses with LIGHTS on, thinking that those people might still be up. Their behavior was really very on the up and up, just knocking and running off.
I mean, geez, what would this lady have done if they'd actually been playing PRANKS on the neighborhood, running up to doors and knocking and then running away repeatedly is a CLASSIC, but the mildest prank I can think of. There wasn't any toilet paper in the trees, or any actual attempt to SCARE people.

But what scares me is the precedent cases like this present. I tend to walk very quietly and scare my husband nearly everyday because I just walk into a room like normal and he won't hear me coming and will spook when he looks up and sees me (.... I'm not scary looking, I promise!). It happens in public, too, where I'll walk up to a busstop or something and people will spook a little because they didn't hear me. What if they have a pre-existing condition that my startling them aggravates and they go to the hospital? Am *I* liable? I factually caused it somewhat. Just as much to blame as these girls were.
What if I shout in public because my husband steps on my foot and THAT scares someone so they fall down some steps? Am I liable or is my husband? Or do we have to place legal blame on causality?

-megs

User avatar
Steverules
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1710
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:26 pm
Contact:

Post by Steverules »

Soap Soaperson wrote:Her address and phone number (as well as the judge's) is being circulated on the internet. o_o
So she's gonna file suit over that and probably win millions for harrassment. Dried up old rotten crotch should be shot. She wouldn't try that junk in Texas.
Image

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

NotoriousMEQ wrote:The girls did check and only delivered cookies to houses with LIGHTS on, thinking that those people might still be up.
Ah, missed that part. Thanks for pointing it out. Disregard what I said then.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

legostargalactica wrote:
Jim North wrote:
Mr.Bob wrote:She was only 49. She's not a real old lady.
I feel a Monty Python skit coming on.
Nobody expects the Spanish... girls with cookies?
Image

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

NotoriousMEQ wrote:
Col wrote:While I agree the lawsuit was ridiculous, delivering cookies at 10:30 at night ain't the best time for people. Some might be in bed, or in their pjs, or whatever. By 10:30, if I'm at home, I don't really wanna have anything to do with the outside world. It wouldn't have been that hard to wait until morning to deliver the cookies. The woman definitely overreacted, but the girls kind of made a dumb decision too.
The girls did check and only delivered cookies to houses with LIGHTS on, thinking that those people might still be up. Their behavior was really very on the up and up, just knocking and running off.
I mean, geez, what would this lady have done if they'd actually been playing PRANKS on the neighborhood, running up to doors and knocking and then running away repeatedly is a CLASSIC, but the mildest prank I can think of. There wasn't any toilet paper in the trees, or any actual attempt to SCARE people.

But what scares me is the precedent cases like this present. I tend to walk very quietly and scare my husband nearly everyday because I just walk into a room like normal and he won't hear me coming and will spook when he looks up and sees me (.... I'm not scary looking, I promise!). It happens in public, too, where I'll walk up to a busstop or something and people will spook a little because they didn't hear me. What if they have a pre-existing condition that my startling them aggravates and they go to the hospital? Am *I* liable? I factually caused it somewhat. Just as much to blame as these girls were.
What if I shout in public because my husband steps on my foot and THAT scares someone so they fall down some steps? Am I liable or is my husband? Or do we have to place legal blame on causality?

-megs
On the plus side, time to sue Jehovas witnesses!

User avatar
Chrismills
Regular Poster
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Contact:

Post by Chrismills »

valuedan wrote:Don't blame the lawyers, blame the law.
I'll blame both, thank you. Frivolous lawsuits wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if half the lawyers in this country hadn't sold their souls for a dollar. Every time my faith in humanity gets a little better, something like this happens. Fuck.

Is there any more room on the moon?
Image

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Mr.Bob wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
Jim North wrote: I feel a Monty Python skit coming on.
Nobody expects the Spanish... girls with cookies?
Image
Mr.Bob, it has been said by many on this forum and I must concurn, you rock.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

Digital War wrote:
NotoriousMEQ wrote:
Col wrote:While I agree the lawsuit was ridiculous, delivering cookies at 10:30 at night ain't the best time for people. Some might be in bed, or in their pjs, or whatever. By 10:30, if I'm at home, I don't really wanna have anything to do with the outside world. It wouldn't have been that hard to wait until morning to deliver the cookies. The woman definitely overreacted, but the girls kind of made a dumb decision too.
The girls did check and only delivered cookies to houses with LIGHTS on, thinking that those people might still be up. Their behavior was really very on the up and up, just knocking and running off.
I mean, geez, what would this lady have done if they'd actually been playing PRANKS on the neighborhood, running up to doors and knocking and then running away repeatedly is a CLASSIC, but the mildest prank I can think of. There wasn't any toilet paper in the trees, or any actual attempt to SCARE people.

But what scares me is the precedent cases like this present. I tend to walk very quietly and scare my husband nearly everyday because I just walk into a room like normal and he won't hear me coming and will spook when he looks up and sees me (.... I'm not scary looking, I promise!). It happens in public, too, where I'll walk up to a busstop or something and people will spook a little because they didn't hear me. What if they have a pre-existing condition that my startling them aggravates and they go to the hospital? Am *I* liable? I factually caused it somewhat. Just as much to blame as these girls were.
What if I shout in public because my husband steps on my foot and THAT scares someone so they fall down some steps? Am I liable or is my husband? Or do we have to place legal blame on causality?

-megs
On the plus side, time to sue Jehovah's witnesses!
OMDM, that's right! Those bastards have harassed us for the last time.

...well, we've dealt with more of the fundie christian crowd.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

ever since msnbc.msn reported fox bought al-jazzera, I've been suspicous of that site. can't trust anything these days >_>

Crossfire wrote:*adds a tick to his "reasons to move to Canada" list*

Currently Canada is in the lead with... A shit ton. And the "stay in the US" list is at... Jack shit! How 'bout that.
NYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNY
....NY!!!
Image

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

chrismills wrote:
valuedan wrote:Don't blame the lawyers, blame the law.
I'll blame both, thank you. Frivolous lawsuits wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if half the lawyers in this country hadn't sold their souls for a dollar. Every time my faith in humanity gets a little better, something like this happens. Fuck.

Is there any more room on the moon?
I guess... but you have to stay on the dark side!
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Taiwanimation
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Fremont, CA
Contact:

Post by Taiwanimation »

Sometimes you got to wonder who to blame for porblems... the government or various demographic groups. More and more it seems to be the latter.
Image

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

DarkMagician wrote:
Digital War wrote: On the plus side, time to sue Jehovah's witnesses!
OMDM, that's right! Those bastards have harassed us for the last time.

...well, we've dealt with more of the fundie christian crowd.
*sheds a tear for his brothers back in the Hall* Yeah I was a Witness! I sorta had a falling out after a big depression so I don't go anymore... but we're still friends. They're good people! We just want to be loved! :cry:
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

When you consider people have sued cities (like NY) for tripping/slipping on the boardwalk and won, you know things are just going to get a lot worse. When you add that said people were not exactly just walking around, yet they still hold someone else responsible, and the jury agreed with them...
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

legostargalactica wrote:
Jim North wrote:
Mr.Bob wrote:She was only 49. She's not a real old lady.
I feel a Monty Python skit coming on.
Nobody expects the Spanish... girls with cookies?
I think Jim was referring to vicious gangs of baby-snatchers (continuement of hells grannies).

"I just went to the shop to buy something and when I got back my husband was gone... he was only 45 *bursts into tears*"

So, is USA gonna change it's name to United States of Legal Persecution any time soon?

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

mcDuffies wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
Jim North wrote: I feel a Monty Python skit coming on.
Nobody expects the Spanish... girls with cookies?
I think Jim was referring to vicious gangs of baby-snatchers (continuement of hells grannies).

"I just went to the shop to buy something and when I got back my husband was gone... he was only 45 *bursts into tears*"

So, is USA gonna change it's name to United States of Legal Persecution any time soon?
I know what he meant, I was just trying to be funny, emphasis on the "trying"
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

I can't remember where I heard it, but apparently a while ago, a grandma took her grandkids to Disneyland and had to leave the kids with the staff while she made a phone call... they sent the kids to the dressing rooms so the actors who dress up as Disney characters could keep an eye on them. This was around closing time, so all of the characters were getting out of their costumes, and the kids were purportedly traumatized by seeing their favorite cartoon characters taking their heads off. The grandma sued Disney and won.

Now, see, that kind of thing is funny. Suing a couple of girls cause they left you cookies as a surprise and, without meaning to, made it too much of a surprise? That's just stupid.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

Locked