Making a fun Icon next to your URL and in people's bookmarks

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Post Reply
User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Making a fun Icon next to your URL and in people's bookmarks

Post by Smight »

I just learned that making a fun Icon next to your URL and in people's bookmarks is way easier than I thought.

just make an image 16X16 and save it as a bmp adn then download something like http://www.icongrabber.com-http.com/download.html to convert that bmp to an ico file. put that file in your public directory directly(not your images directory!), then slip this happy little guy in between the head tags on all of your pages: <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="/image/ico"/>

now your site will be Teh |3()/\/\|3
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Forum Pocket.
Contact:

Post by Kris X »

Interesting... *Considers*
Image
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

Oooh! thanks!

http://webcomicfinds.blogspot.com/

Does this work?
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

I never confirmed it but I think a ICO file is a BMP file, just with a different extension.

It does rather sound like something Microsoft would do.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

It is indeed. I haven't done in since the Win95 days, but if you made a bmp the correct size and limited yourself to a 256 colour palette and then renamed it to ico, you could then use it as an icon.

User avatar
Kirb
A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am
Location: I'll wrestle you for him.
Contact:

Post by Kirb »

Oooh, handy. =o
Thanks.
ImageImage
*^*^*^*^* http://spacejunkarlia.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Comic
*^*^*^*^* http://deadgeargame.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Game
Image Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
Image

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

man, I wish I Wasn't so lazy!
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

success... i'm less lazy than i thought
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

Ruxen
Regular Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:14 pm
Location: Canadaing along!
Contact:

Post by Ruxen »

Phalanx wrote:Oooh! thanks!

http://webcomicfinds.blogspot.com/

Does this work?
Looks like it's working to me, the funess. I might try this out thanks for the tip! 8)
Image

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

Glad you all like it.


Now I want to see everyone's comic with a little picture next to it in my favorites bar!!!!!!!
I'm a really visual kind o' guy so it's easier for me to remember if I've checked you for an update that way.
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
BeefotronX
Regular Poster
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by BeefotronX »

Whoo, I got one!
I've got to make some other icons now.
Image
A webcomic so scrumptrelescent you can barely move.

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

Smight wrote:Glad you all like it.


Now I want to see everyone's comic with a little picture next to it in my favorites bar!!!!!!!
I'm a really visual kind o' guy so it's easier for me to remember if I've checked you for an update that way.
I've had one on my comic for months. You are now forced to start reading it.



(Although I couldn't figure out where exactly the file had to be, and so stuck copies everywhere in my files...)
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

I shall have to try this for myself!
Phalanx wrote:Oooh! thanks!

http://webcomicfinds.blogspot.com/

Does this work?
Ah, I can't see it... (I'm using Firefox 1.0.)

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

Phalanx wrote:Oooh! thanks!

http://webcomicfinds.blogspot.com/

Does this work?
I saw it yesterday, but I can't see it today. I'm using firefox 1.0 too
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

Smight wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Oooh! thanks!

http://webcomicfinds.blogspot.com/

Does this work?
I saw it yesterday, but I can't see it today. I'm using firefox 1.0 too
It does seem to have disappeared :-? .
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

It's remotely linked, which might be problematic.

Hoo well... that's the best I can do under the circumstances.

Edit: Oh wwait, I think I found the problem. I accidently borked the template.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

Mercury_Hat wrote:
Smight wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Oooh! thanks!

http://webcomicfinds.blogspot.com/

Does this work?
I saw it yesterday, but I can't see it today. I'm using firefox 1.0 too
It does seem to have disappeared :-? .
Firefox is sometimes strangely erratic about picking them up, and adding them to your bookmarks when it does.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

Yeah, that fixed it, Phalanx. Looks good.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

Post Reply