evolutionation

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

evolutionation

Post by Jeffy »

last post before I force myself to bed

I was entertained by how a character I've barely used and was randomly created not for the comic has changed more than any other character, and here is the evolution of Linda the Elf

http://webpages.charter.net/chigger254/ ... evolve.jpg

entertain me when I wake up with your own imageriness... osity
Image

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Disco Stu on the Simpsons was created solely because of a joke about Homer running out of room trying to write "Disco Stud." I bet when they created him they had no intention of ever using him again.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Disco Stu infects another thread! The Simpsons writers never throw anything away. I think they even eventually based an entire episode around Disco Stu, which is just mind-boggling. All because of that damn garage-sale episode.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Post by Valuedan »

Ach, Simpsons depresses me now. It's been awful since 2000. And I say this as a hardcore fan that owns all the DVDs that are currently out.
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

User avatar
TheGoobla
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Your anus. (That's how you do a pun, right?)

Post by TheGoobla »

Kevin Wolf wrote:All because of that damn garage-sale episode.
More specifically, the episode where George Bush moves into the neighbourhood. Ah, memories... :lol:

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

valuedan wrote:Ach, Simpsons depresses me now. It's been awful since 2000. And I say this as a hardcore fan that owns all the DVDs that are currently out.
It's sad because it's true, and also because my brother is addicted to it. :cry:
Last edited by Leko on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Those were the glory days of the Simpsons. Everything in the past couple of years has been absolute shit.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

I miss the good stuff. The last time I watched the Simpsons, it depressed me. The characters are just these walking joke dispensers.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
JeremyW
Regular Poster
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:45 pm
Location: magic town

Post by JeremyW »

Kevin Wolf wrote:The Simpsons writers never throw anything away.
What about Dr Marvin Monroe? The writers didn't like him so they decided not to use him anymore.

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

The only episode of the Simpsons I've watched in recent memory was the one where James Caan guest voiced. It got a chuckle out of me in some places, but I just kept thinkning to myself "I've heard this joke before, on this god damned show even!"

My encyclopedic knowledge of the series came back and bit me in the ass.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

JeremyW wrote:
Kevin Wolf wrote:The Simpsons writers never throw anything away.
What about Dr Marvin Monroe? The writers didn't like him so they decided not to use him anymore.
I don't even know who that is.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

He was the scratchy-voiced psychaitrist from early in the show, first introduced when the Simpsons went to family counseling and got hooked up to the "mutual electric shock" machines. They killed him off at some point, although I think it was because the guy who did his voice said he hated doing it because it hurt his throat.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Oh, wow, ancient history! Okay, yeah, I remember that one.

You ever notice how they never use Troy McClure or Lionel Hutz anymore, either? Why is that? :roll:
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Kevin Wolf wrote:Oh, wow, ancient history! Okay, yeah, I remember that one.

You ever notice how they never use Troy McClure or Lionel Hutz anymore, either? Why is that? :roll:
Because Phil Hartman died, you insensitive jerk. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Wow, way to totally miss the joke.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Did you notice how the death of Hartman didn't stop them from immediately hiring a Phil Hartman impersonator to do Zapp Branagan on "Futurama"? Does anybody know who that was?
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Driving Without Pants wrote:Wow, way to totally miss the joke.
Facetiousness is your friend. :wink:
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Zapp Brannigan's voice was done by Billy West, the same guy who did Fry and a number of other voices on the show. West is a legend in the cartoon voice-acting community... the dude was Stimpy for Christ's sake! I don't think that he was simply a Phil Hartmann impersonation.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Oh yeah, Billy West. That guy's the shit.

But he was totally doing Hartman.

Edit: I think he also did Ren after they kicked John K off the show.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Post by Valuedan »

Fry's character was named Phillip out of respect for Phil Hartman.
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

Post Reply