HWAET!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

Warren wrote:long, meandering "quest" comics that never, in 50+ pages, ever manage to do anything or go anywhere.
Aw, damn.

I hate it when people living in Western countries decide to draw "real (web)manga", so they insist everything must be read right-to-left, insert superfluous honorifics and words like "kawaii", and give their comic at title to the effect of "[job description] [character name]", complete with Japanese underneath the English title.

It's not that I have anything against manga (in fact, I've shelled out for a fair amount). It just bugs me when people so completely rip off a style without getting any of the substance. (And it's read right-to-left because that's how you read Japanese, goddammit, not because the Japanese thought it'd be cooler to do it that way.)

And the grammar/spelling thing... I can't stand it when people can't distinguish "your" from "you're". Makes me shudder every time.

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Okay. Yep. Thought of some.

Unnecessary swearing. There's nearly always a better word or phrase you can use.

Complete disregard for spelling and the structures of written English (don't feel left out...I can't really read other languages...you know what I mean.)

Unnecessary violence including the sarcastic threat to kill/stab/murder their roommate/friend/brother/sister/postman etc.

Oh yeah...pieces that try too hard to show the world as a shithole place to live...that includes gag comics...even they take this perspectve too often, I find.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

Keffria wrote: I hate it when people living in Western countries decide to draw "real (web)manga", so they insist everything must be read right-to-left, insert superfluous honorifics and words like "kawaii", and give their comic at title to the effect of "[job description] [character name]", complete with Japanese underneath the English title.
I know I obviously have a lot of manga influence in my comic, but I can't stand that sort of thing either. Yeah, I like the big eyes. But I'm not Japanese and I can't see why so many people try to be.
Not to mention that trying to read from right to left on the computer is just confusing as all hell.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Post by IVstudios »

I guess the two that bug me most are:

1: Comics that make a strong (political) comment and either aren't funny or don't present a good argument. They're just like "Bush Sux and he's gonna kill everyone and he's not even our real president!" Now I don't exactly support everything Bush dose, but damnit come up with a cognitive reason to dislike him!

2: People who don't use curse words in situations where people would be expected to be cursing. "You killed my mother you jerk! I'm going to freaking kill you darnit!!!"

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Most of the above, actually, but, specifically I get tired of all the comics which never try anything new. All the repeated genres. The sitcoms, the gaming comics, the college roomies, webmangas, wacky adventures, sword and sorcery, space operas, dimension hopping and bizzare characters doing nothing but breaking the fourth wall. There is so much scope out there for new and original genres in webcomics, things that would be cliches in other mediums but have never been touched here, and people are only interested in recycling the same already established genres - mostly because they don't involve much which is hard to draw. You know, like action.

Coiling Spine is the best attempt at this I've seen recently. It's a post apocalyptic action adventure - very ambitious given the guy's artistic skill, but it grabbed me more firmly than anything else I've seen for a long while.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

I don't really hate anything, because everything I'm about to list has proven to make me laugh at one time or another... but these are the things I tend to shy away from:

-Sprite based comics (unless they're really well done. Strong writing can save these)

-Cut and Paste (I know, my comic is cut and paste. What are you gonna do? But I atleast change the facial features =) I mean really cut and paste, like red meat cut and paste... but as I said, writing can save this too, as it did there)

-Bad Art (like REALLY REALLY bad. where you can't tell if it's a hat or an emu. they exist)

-jokes that I don't understand (as I said, I don't HATE these comics, I just shy away from them. why would I spend time reading something I didn't understand?)

-Comics that don't have an e-mail address on them (tends to make me think the author thinks he's better than us, and then I get sad and cry)

-Bad site design. I don't want super good site design, but please don't have an animate gif as the background image.

Now, I must say again, all of these types of comics, I have read multiple times. obviously i find something redeaming in them if i keep going back.
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Sprites
MS Paint
Anything with the word "baka"
Angsty whiners
Angsty whiners that are described as "fearless" (Do these people even know the meaning of "angst"?)
Comics that take themselves too seriously
Comics that think they're Dragonball Z
Republicans
People who do ninja and samurai comics without knowing anything about ninpou or bushidou and are not spoofing it
Comics that use the Tolkien formula to make a group of people in Fantasy
Badly drawn anime
Comics where the "chosen one chosen to save the world as the one" is revealed within ten pages by a mystical light or fluffy animal
Gamer comics where they are ALWAYS ON THE COUCH
Anything with nekospeak
Cliche same-sex relationships where it's obvious the author is not the same sex as said characters
Image

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

Van Douchebag wrote:Sprites
MS Paint
=[ You hate me...


"Super Stong Magic-Like People Z!"
You know what. I will sadly admit that I have on occasion been sucked into the hour long staring contests that is Dragonball Z. However, I will only let that slide because it was one of/if not the first like that. (That I know of, I have a feeling it might not have been but that's just suspicion).

If you have comics that revolve around.
"UNGH! THIS IS IMPPPOOOOSSSSIIIBLLLEEE!!!"
"HE TURNED SUPER <Anything>!"
"You're holding back aren't you?" "So aren't you." "Let's take it to the next level!"

GAH! Just go and DIE!


HADOKEN!

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

Spriteville, USA wrote:"Super Stong Magic-Like People Z!"
You know what. I will sadly admit that I have on occasion been sucked into the hour long staring contests that is Dragonball Z. However, I will only let that slide because it was one of/if not the first like that. (That I know of, I have a feeling it might not have been but that's just suspicion).

If you have comics that revolve around.
"UNGH! THIS IS IMPPPOOOOSSSSIIIBLLLEEE!!!"
"HE TURNED SUPER <Anything>!"
"You're holding back aren't you?" "So aren't you." "Let's take it to the next level!"

GAH! Just go and DIE!


HADOKEN!
If you think Dragonball fights are bad don't EVER watch Saint Seiya. They're 500% worse.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

JexKerome wrote: If you think Dragonball fights are bad don't EVER watch Saint Seiya. They're 500% worse.
Wow.. I can't imagine worse... Do the fighters just stare at each other until one dies of old age?

User avatar
Tim
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: State of WA, formerly MA
Contact:

Post by Tim »

Spriteville, USA wrote:
JexKerome wrote: If you think Dragonball fights are bad don't EVER watch Saint Seiya. They're 500% worse.
Wow.. I can't imagine worse... Do the fighters just stare at each other until one dies of old age?
While yelling.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

Tim wrote:
Spriteville, USA wrote:
JexKerome wrote: If you think Dragonball fights are bad don't EVER watch Saint Seiya. They're 500% worse.
Wow.. I can't imagine worse... Do the fighters just stare at each other until one dies of old age?
While yelling.
With a Piccillo clone saying things like, "This is impossible!" "I have never seen power as great as this!" "OOoooOOOOAAAArrrrGGGGGGuuuuNNNgggg!"

I swear Piccillo scenes with the other weaklings being surprised sounded like all male orgies.

User avatar
Prettydragoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
Contact:

Post by Prettydragoon »

I really, really hate webcomics that never update.

Uh... So, how about them Mets?
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

Spriteville, USA wrote:
Tim wrote:
Spriteville, USA wrote: Wow.. I can't imagine worse... Do the fighters just stare at each other until one dies of old age?
While yelling.
With a Piccillo clone saying things like, "This is impossible!" "I have never seen power as great as this!" "OOoooOOOOAAAArrrrGGGGGGuuuuNNNgggg!"

I swear Piccillo scenes with the other weaklings being surprised sounded like all male orgies.
Actually, the combatants stare at each other, and then one announces an attack, but launches instead into a LOOOONG flashback on how he got that attack, and other sundry miseries and fun facts about said attack. Finally, six episodes later, he launches the attack, and then the other guy starts HIS tirade on the nifty counter move he's about to unleash.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Post by IVstudios »

My only real beef with DBZ is that Goku always saves they day. ALWAYS! Even when He's Dead! (ok, Gohan Beat Cell, but only because Goku's spirit was there to help him) They've got so may cool characters and it's always Goku who saves the universe.
I also hate how it's always the "Strongest enemy they've ever faced!!!!!!" I mean if any of the enemies had somehow shown up a few years early everyone would be screwed.

Edit: BTW, Hercule is my favorite character, just because he's so pathetic by comparison to everyone else.

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

Goku was nowhere to be seen when Garlic Junior was defeated, and he also failed to defeat Vegeta the first time. Oh, he wore him down, but he lost. Akira Toriyama had him lose just so he could say "See? he doesn't win ALL the time!"

But yeah, it get ridiculous after a time. Goku beats Piccolo, and seems he's the strongest. Then enemies appear from outer space, and you go, yeah, well, at least they're aliens. But then he beats the crap out of them, returns to Earth and even more powerful enemies pop up!!!!

Like, the Hell?!

In my not-so-humble opinion (Bow Before Me!!!), Dragonball should have ended after the defeat of Freezer. The Majin Bu saga so disturbed my Chi I refuse to see Dragonball GT.

{Edit}

Thinking about this, how 'bout we make this an Akira Toriyama bashing thread? I'll give you some reasons:

-Like Jim Davis, this guy entered comics solely for the money; before that he worked in advertising

-Dragonball Z is still making obscene amounts of money, even though it has none of the charm or wit or the original Dragonball

-Mr. Toriyama is sick and tired to death of Dragonball, yet he won't hesitate to do pin ups or license his work if it means mo' money

-His success has spawned some of the more horrible copycat webcomics in existence
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

I know someone from the Clock Crew who can do Piccolo's voice.
He recorded a mp3 of a sex scene between Piccolo and Gohan. It was hilarious.

Don't know if I could find it again or not.
Image

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

On the original topic, I hate comics that use swearing as a punchline. The occasional cuss to finish a comic is fine, but using it as the main source of humor in a comic ticks me off.

User avatar
NotoriousMEQ
Regular Poster
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: ATL -> Ottawa
Contact:

Post by NotoriousMEQ »

From the title of the thread, I thought this discussion would be about Naught-Framed!!! and would be conducted entirely in old english. :( I am very dissapointed.

I hate comics that are potentially very good, but get dropped or cancelled and the author never really does anything becuase he or she wasn't instantly famous or really good. on the same note - I hate it when people deliberately keep themselves from improving artistically for the sake of 'continuity'. Bah!

-megs

Wp
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:08 am
Contact:

Post by Wp »

godoftarot wrote:I know I obviously have a lot of manga influence in my comic, but I can't stand that sort of thing either. Yeah, I like the big eyes. But I'm not Japanese and I can't see why so many people try to be.
Not to mention that trying to read from right to left on the computer is just confusing as all hell.
If you read a lot of scanslations, you will become an expert at switching between left to right and right to left reading. I've never actually seen American webcomics do that right to left thing, though. Which ones are you talking about? I know of a possible one, but I think that's just because she's Korean.

Post Reply