Unforseen popularity of certain characters
I think mine might be Jenny Damien. She was missing in action for most of the first series, but became totally central to the second. People seem to like her.
But I think her move to the center stage had more to do with the fact that I kind of fell in love with the character while redesigning her and figuring out what exactly her deal is.
But I think her move to the center stage had more to do with the fact that I kind of fell in love with the character while redesigning her and figuring out what exactly her deal is.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
Oh my god, you are so right. Urkel was a one shot character that was supposed to be a blind date for Laura. And he ended up being the main character pretty much.cortland wrote:Absolutely. The exact same thing happened to both the Fonz and Steve Urkel. Ton is not alone. 8)K-Dawg wrote:So my question is has anyone else had to revamp scripts to feature a character who by some odd reason gained some unknown popularity?
I haven't had anyone preffering any of the other characters in my comic over the main one yet. But we'll see what happens when I get more stuff in my archive.
I'm not really sure if this counts because i'm not sure if i have fans, but one of my friends told me that i should put "the martian" in more of my strips. he started out as just a visual gag at the end of my third strip. and now he has been in many more. I'm not sure why my friend liked him so much (or my other friends who later agreed with her), but i enjoy writing the character so i don't mind much.
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Mmh, no, not really. When I asked people who're their favourite characters, answers were mostly whithin the main characters who are apperaing the most already.
I did put more of characters on my own iniciative: I squeezed in Slight who wasn't planned in the first place. I put much more of Blocky and Ray because I thought they had a natural charm that I didn't even plan. And I put a tad bit more of Voicey.
I did put more of characters on my own iniciative: I squeezed in Slight who wasn't planned in the first place. I put much more of Blocky and Ray because I thought they had a natural charm that I didn't even plan. And I put a tad bit more of Voicey.
- K-Dawg
- I wanna LIVE
- Posts: 4844
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Yes, let us check!
- Contact:
I'm just glad I wasn't pressured into renaming the comic to "Tontaku Felipe Rodriguez D. Monkey...featuring Angry D. Monkey"cortland wrote:Absolutely. The exact same thing happened to both the Fonz and Steve Urkel. Ton is not alone. 8)K-Dawg wrote:So my question is has anyone else had to revamp scripts to feature a character who by some odd reason gained some unknown popularity?
- Kevin Wolf
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1232
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Walking the Earth.
- Contact:
I never expected Cissy, the hot, large-breasted nymphomanical lesbian to take off like she did, but I guess there's just no accounting for taste.
Um...Hamish MacCreagle, if anybody here has ever actually read my comic, became far more popular than I had ever planned, causing me to write him into a more prominent role and then actually write him out of the comic altogether.
Um...Hamish MacCreagle, if anybody here has ever actually read my comic, became far more popular than I had ever planned, causing me to write him into a more prominent role and then actually write him out of the comic altogether.
- Alschroeder
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 881
- Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:21 pm
- Location: Nashville
- Contact:
I never changed a storyline because of her, but Vicki, my character's artificial intelligence/hologram/best friend is the favorite of quite a few of my readers. ---
Al
Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>

---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>

- BrownEyedCat
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:24 pm
- Location: Lurking in the Corners
- Contact:
A large number of people have listed Toky, my obligatory cute thing, as their favorite character, even before I'd really done anything with him. Honestly, I keep forgetting he's there, and the number of times I've swapped his wings is just disgraceful.
But still, adorable cute thing. And I did try to make him more interesting than the usual sort of cute thing. So I probably shouldn't be too surprised.
But still, adorable cute thing. And I did try to make him more interesting than the usual sort of cute thing. So I probably shouldn't be too surprised.
- Tim
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3285
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
- Location: State of WA, formerly MA
- Contact:
I'm not sure about this "popularity" of which you speak...
I've been asked a surprising number of times (well, surprising to me) about the status of a certain ex-cast member. Sym seems to be a popular character - and I need to write more of him in anyway, being what I consider a main character - but judging by the fanart I've received, the most popular character is...me.
I've been asked a surprising number of times (well, surprising to me) about the status of a certain ex-cast member. Sym seems to be a popular character - and I need to write more of him in anyway, being what I consider a main character - but judging by the fanart I've received, the most popular character is...me.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!
- Ghastly
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 5154
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Contact:
Re: Unforseen popularity of certain characters
Freddy was originally pretty much intended to be a "one-shot" character but s/he became so popular and took on such a life of hir own that s/he became one of the main characters.K-Dawg wrote: So my question is has anyone else had to revamp scripts to feature a character who by some odd reason gained some unknown popularity?
Drunk and Bitter Jesus was also another "one-shot" character who became for more popular than I had ever imagined.
This particular phenomenon isn't that strange, or uncommon. A quirky-cutesy-different character that a creator came up with as just a throw-away can easily be chosen as a fan favorite.
The reasons? People love cute things, especially if they look like little animals. Look at Pokemon! People also love characters with odd quirks, like a wicked sense of biting sarcasm in a perky, happy world, or something more physical, like a sexy girl with fur and a tail in an environment filled with simple, normal, not-so-sexy humans.
The reasons? People love cute things, especially if they look like little animals. Look at Pokemon! People also love characters with odd quirks, like a wicked sense of biting sarcasm in a perky, happy world, or something more physical, like a sexy girl with fur and a tail in an environment filled with simple, normal, not-so-sexy humans.
Tim wrote:I'm not sure about this "popularity" of which you speak...
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.











ANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!



