Who's style is most similar to your own?
-
ChaosBurnFlame
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 401
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:45 pm
- Contact:
Who's style is most similar to your own?
This is a good question for alot of artists looking to improve. You have to pick a fellow 'spacer or fellow webcomic artist as a comparison.
I think Phalanxping's style is very similar to my own. Ok, aside from the fact that she's about a bazillion times better and more advanced than I am, the very basics of the facial structures I use are very compatable with the ones she uses. In fact, from the Pencil/Inking sharing, from just seeing how she inks or pencils my own characters really teaches me alot about how to better define facial features on my female characters.
I think Phalanxping's style is very similar to my own. Ok, aside from the fact that she's about a bazillion times better and more advanced than I am, the very basics of the facial structures I use are very compatable with the ones she uses. In fact, from the Pencil/Inking sharing, from just seeing how she inks or pencils my own characters really teaches me alot about how to better define facial features on my female characters.
- TheBladeRoden2
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 609
- Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:40 am
- Location: Kirby Asgard
- Contact:
No one's been able to capture the ol' JR Productions feel yet.
"i just want to get back to life, but for that i just need to get dead" -boby

JR Productions Risen: The Forum

JR Productions Risen: The Forum
- Cortland
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1202
- Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:52 am
- Location: Bellevue, Neb.
- Contact:
Probably David Willis. I first read his comics, I thought, "Yes! That's exactly how I've been trying to draw all these years!" Though I blame Cortland's hair entirely on Akira Toriyama.
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
I'd point out David Willis for mcDuffies too. Even though I wasn't influenced by him much.
LWK art reminds me of art of comic thandem Yoann/Omond. But in terms of webcomics, I found myself in a bunch of totally different comics on GraphicSmash. The only comic similar to LWK there, is Psiogen's Ascent.
LWK art reminds me of art of comic thandem Yoann/Omond. But in terms of webcomics, I found myself in a bunch of totally different comics on GraphicSmash. The only comic similar to LWK there, is Psiogen's Ascent.
- Phalanx
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 3737
- Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
- Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
- Contact:
In terms of style closeness, probably Lovarian Adventures. The comic itself wasn't a particular influence of mine, and the style is a bit on the manga-ish side, but I did figure out what kind of nose representation I liked from watching how Geejay did it.
I didn't think that ChaosBurnFlame's style was that close to mine, really. I like harder edges and geometric shapes, he seems to go more for rounded edges and muscle builds.
And the most important thing, the way we draw eyes is vastly different. IMHO, half the drawing style of a person is how they draw faces, and eyes are pretty much one of the most important aspects of the face.
I didn't think that ChaosBurnFlame's style was that close to mine, really. I like harder edges and geometric shapes, he seems to go more for rounded edges and muscle builds.
And the most important thing, the way we draw eyes is vastly different. IMHO, half the drawing style of a person is how they draw faces, and eyes are pretty much one of the most important aspects of the face.
- LAGtheNoggin
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2532
- Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: the sea side
- Contact:
Looking back, I'd probably say Komiyan's Darken was closest to my style, which isn't surprising as I was kinda' trying to copy her afterall.
I've had a lot of style change over the past few months and no existing stylistic goal in mind though, so there's lots of change (hopefully) that I haven't shown yet. Losely I'm aiming for a more angular and tighter look these days, just gonna see where I end up mostly.
I've had a lot of style change over the past few months and no existing stylistic goal in mind though, so there's lots of change (hopefully) that I haven't shown yet. Losely I'm aiming for a more angular and tighter look these days, just gonna see where I end up mostly.
- Christwriter
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1915
- Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:56 am
Oh, man...you had to do a hard one.
I haven't got a clue what spacer is closest to my style...certainly not the one I'm using right now. When I started I was using Phalanx's tutorials as a base, but the thing I did not want to do was carbon-copy her when she was kind enough to teach me how to use Photoshop for what I wanted.
The one I'd say I'm closest to (and I HATE to say it because I respect the artist enormously) would probably be a non-'Space comic called <a href="http://www.malakh.com/comic.php"> Malakhim </a>. Not the line-art style but the coloring and atmosphere.
However, if my mother did a webcomic, I'd be forced to say her. My mom is an incredibly, INCREDIBLY gifted artist/writer/everything else she puts her hands to, and as I've grown as an artist, I've noticed simularities between our styles. Sometimes when I put our artwork side-by-side, it looks so similar it's almost scary. Mine is nowhere near as good as hers is, but we draw things like eyes, noses, even profiles the same. That's why picking a webcomic artist is so hard--it's a bit hard to pick an online simularity when a bigger one is living under the same roof as me.
CW
I haven't got a clue what spacer is closest to my style...certainly not the one I'm using right now. When I started I was using Phalanx's tutorials as a base, but the thing I did not want to do was carbon-copy her when she was kind enough to teach me how to use Photoshop for what I wanted.
The one I'd say I'm closest to (and I HATE to say it because I respect the artist enormously) would probably be a non-'Space comic called <a href="http://www.malakh.com/comic.php"> Malakhim </a>. Not the line-art style but the coloring and atmosphere.
However, if my mother did a webcomic, I'd be forced to say her. My mom is an incredibly, INCREDIBLY gifted artist/writer/everything else she puts her hands to, and as I've grown as an artist, I've noticed simularities between our styles. Sometimes when I put our artwork side-by-side, it looks so similar it's almost scary. Mine is nowhere near as good as hers is, but we draw things like eyes, noses, even profiles the same. That's why picking a webcomic artist is so hard--it's a bit hard to pick an online simularity when a bigger one is living under the same roof as me.
CW
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a><a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.
-
Spriteville, USA
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2060
- Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm
- Van Douchebag
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
- Location: The Televizzle
- Contact:
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
A while back, Phalanx told me that my style reminded her of Joe England's Zebra Girl. At the time, I had not seen it, so I took a look, and I see some similarites. Not so much in the construction, but mostly in the hatching style. I like the use of lines to create shades and textures. Not that I'm any good at it, but I try.
Some keenspace comics that are similar to mine are The Man Who Hates Fun and 8:1. We all use lots of hatching, but we do it differently. This page and the one after it are I think are the best examples of my style.
Much of my style is influenced by Robert Crumb, an incredibly influential figure in the development of the "Underground Comic Revolution." His career spans several decades and he now has mutiple style at his disposal like a quiver full of arrows. He himself is kinda creepy, but his work is amazing. Watch the Terry Zwigoff film "Crumb" to learn more.
Some keenspace comics that are similar to mine are The Man Who Hates Fun and 8:1. We all use lots of hatching, but we do it differently. This page and the one after it are I think are the best examples of my style.
Much of my style is influenced by Robert Crumb, an incredibly influential figure in the development of the "Underground Comic Revolution." His career spans several decades and he now has mutiple style at his disposal like a quiver full of arrows. He himself is kinda creepy, but his work is amazing. Watch the Terry Zwigoff film "Crumb" to learn more.
I've no idea--there's a little bit of manga in my geneology, but not much. This is a passable example of the semi-realistic, desaturated-color, weighted-lineart I use.
If I remind anyone of someone, I'd be quite curious...
BTW, Peppermint: Nice Earthling lyrics in your sig. ^_^
If I remind anyone of someone, I'd be quite curious...
BTW, Peppermint: Nice Earthling lyrics in your sig. ^_^
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Heck if I know... I drew some influence from print comics when developing what I like to call the "decypher" style. but I wasn't really prevy to many webcomics before I started, doing mine. My sister use to send me links to penny-arcade and PVP and the like, which got the ball rolling on actually doing a comic... but I don't know.
though I gotta ask, how would we improve by seeing someone who is simular to us. I get ideas, like how people characterize backgrounds or how they shade or what not, everytime I read comics. but I think thats normal, doesn't everyone analize artwork they think looks neat for ideas?
though I gotta ask, how would we improve by seeing someone who is simular to us. I get ideas, like how people characterize backgrounds or how they shade or what not, everytime I read comics. but I think thats normal, doesn't everyone analize artwork they think looks neat for ideas?
-
Ian Moulding
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1330
- Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
- Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
- Contact:
- Godoftarot
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 911
- Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
- Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
- Contact:
Aside from the obvious anime/manga influence, I haven't really seen any other art that looks quite like mine. Of course I'm sure there's tons of webcomics I have seen, so...
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
- Anywherebuthere
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1500
- Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:29 pm
- Location: North-da-fucking-kota
- Contact:
- Faub
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 3698
- Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
- Location: Missouri, USA
- Contact:
Who am I like? I can't really say. I certainly didn't try to be like anyone when I started drawing FAUB. Most of the styles I've seen, especially online, are incredibly simplified or they're done in Flash. After the fact, I would like to think I put in as much effort inking as yeahduff and Ursula Vernon of Digger. Maybe a little Joe England of Zebra Girl (who beat me for best B&W art, btw).
One of my goals is to be more like Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise), the good people at Aardvark Vanaheim (Cerebus) both in artwork and writing. Sandman by Neil Gaiman and most anything by Charles DeLint are great sources of inspiration in terms of writing and the general feeling of wonder they inspire in the reader. I would love to be able to match that.
One of my goals is to be more like Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise), the good people at Aardvark Vanaheim (Cerebus) both in artwork and writing. Sandman by Neil Gaiman and most anything by Charles DeLint are great sources of inspiration in terms of writing and the general feeling of wonder they inspire in the reader. I would love to be able to match that.















