How is YOUR comic done?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

mcDuffies wrote:1. I draw comic
2. ???
3. Profit
I'm still trying to figure out how I can just skip the first two steps.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Collapse
Regular Poster
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:52 pm

Post by Collapse »

Jim North wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:1. I draw comic
2. ???
3. Profit
I'm still trying to figure out how I can just skip the first two steps.
Posted at the same second as me.

Hmm, I'm having serious deja-vu. Have you guys had this conversation before?
Image
Image

Disclaimer: By responding to this post, you acknowledge the possibility that collapse may argue with you.

User avatar
Derenge
Regular Poster
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 1:22 pm
Location: kentucky
Contact:

Post by Derenge »

collapse wrote:
Derenge wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:1. I draw comic
2. ???
3. Profit
Hey, mcduffies is an underpants gnome, who'da thunk it.

And here is my very long answer to the question even if I'm still polishing it.

http://ameryonline.com/pointless/forum/ ... TOPIC_ID=8
Holy shit! That's the longest, most involved method I've ever seen... for anything! How long does each page take you? (I didn't read all of the text, so if you said, I missed it :P )
Actually, funny enough, that's something I forgot to mention in all that. Each page takes about 8 hours from start to finish. Some faster some slower it just depends.

User avatar
Collapse
Regular Poster
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:52 pm

Post by Collapse »

Do you have school, or a job, or anything like that, or do you comic full time?
Image
Image

Disclaimer: By responding to this post, you acknowledge the possibility that collapse may argue with you.

User avatar
Derenge
Regular Poster
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 1:22 pm
Location: kentucky
Contact:

Post by Derenge »

Normally that's just once or twice a week, spread out over a few days that ammount of time is really not all that huge of a deal.

User avatar
Rhellik
Regular Poster
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:21 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Rhellik »

MAN! It just now took me 5 hours to do tomorrows page O_O
I should really NOT do all the work on ONE day.....
actually that's why I do WSa, but oh well ^^;
Image

User avatar
Collapse
Regular Poster
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:52 pm

Post by Collapse »

My pages take about 5 hours each.
Image
Image

Disclaimer: By responding to this post, you acknowledge the possibility that collapse may argue with you.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Egad, people, now you really make me feel like an awfull cheater! It takes no more than a few hours to make a weekly update for me.
Weekly update is four strips, but usually strip spans into a half-page or full-page.
True, it's b/w but know people who take very lokg time with b/w too. It just feels as though I'm letting all kind of crap get in...

Wp
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:08 am
Contact:

Post by Wp »

Just cuz you're better than us doesn't mean you have to flaunt it.

User avatar
Birdie
Keeps telling everyone stuff
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:50 am
Location: With your mom
Contact:

Post by Birdie »

mcDuffies wrote:Egad, people, now you really make me feel like an awfull cheater! It takes no more than a few hours to make a weekly update for me.
Weekly update is four strips, but usually strip spans into a half-page or full-page.
True, it's b/w but know people who take very lokg time with b/w too. It just feels as though I'm letting all kind of crap get in...
You complain about doing a weekly update in a few hours? I can do a monthly set of updates in an hour or two. I've done two weeks worth of comics in about 2 hours due to my cheap manuevers, but I'm working on doing some handsketched SFF comics for the future. Now that I'm over my writer's block.
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!

User avatar
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 5339
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: noitacoL

Post by [AlmightyPyro] »

Ok! It takes me at the MAX 2 hours to finish a comic! 8 total hours is just insain!

I feel bad! I've always wondered why all of you "all most profesionals" look ten time better than my best, and I just found out why. Not only do you take more time and scan at 600 dpi and do like abillionan'one steps that you call three, you also use technicle things like 4A paper and different HB pencils and special straight edges and gum erasers and Monkey slaves and toaster ovens! THAT'S NO FAIR!

I use the best wood pencil I can find at the moment, a peice of computer paper (or card-stock if I'm lucky), MABEY a ruler and a white eraser that is becoming dull.
Then, I scan it in at 200 dpi, open it in PSP7, change the light to make it better, make a new layer to ink and color in, another layer for text, flatten, resize and save.

I don't have special pens or special pencils or special brownies to make mine fancy. no wander Esoterik has super drawing skillz! He has the stuff to do it for him! *growls* I'm going to sharpen my claws on your couch!
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

supernerdcore wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:Egad, people, now you really make me feel like an awfull cheater! It takes no more than a few hours to make a weekly update for me.
Weekly update is four strips, but usually strip spans into a half-page or full-page.
True, it's b/w but know people who take very lokg time with b/w too. It just feels as though I'm letting all kind of crap get in...
You complain about doing a weekly update in a few hours? I can do a monthly set of updates in an hour or two. I've done two weeks worth of comics in about 2 hours due to my cheap manuevers, but I'm working on doing some handsketched SFF comics for the future. Now that I'm over my writer's block.
Finally someone who gets me!

User avatar
Collapse
Regular Poster
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:52 pm

Post by Collapse »

I rushed my latest page, and got it done in three hours instead of five. And there's not even a visible difference! I'm gonna rush everything now.
Image
Image

Disclaimer: By responding to this post, you acknowledge the possibility that collapse may argue with you.

User avatar
Rhellik
Regular Poster
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:21 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Rhellik »

hm maybe i should try that
Image

User avatar
Dalis
Regular Poster
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:50 pm
Contact:

Post by Dalis »

I guess I can try rushing my work... I mean really. The cookie breaks aren't really THAT needed... right?
-Dalis

Image

User avatar
G-Lode
Regular Poster
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:00 pm
Location: Team Zissou
Contact:

Post by G-Lode »

wow. I always wondered how long it took other people to do their comics. Maybe becuase I am still learning, but it takes me anywhere from 8-10 hours to sketch, scan and print a copy, ink it, rescan, clean it up, color it, shade it, add text, and finally update my blurb on the main page.

Even my extras art, where I practice my photoshop techniques take me 5-8 hours to do. sadly, that's why my updates are only once a week (if that!)
:-?

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

[AlmightyPyro] wrote:Ok! It takes me at the MAX 2 hours to finish a comic! 8 total hours is just insain!

I feel bad! I've always wondered why all of you "all most profesionals" look ten time better than my best, and I just found out why. Not only do you take more time and scan at 600 dpi and do like abillionan'one steps that you call three, you also use technicle things like 4A paper and different HB pencils and special straight edges and gum erasers and Monkey slaves and toaster ovens! THAT'S NO FAIR!

I use the best wood pencil I can find at the moment, a peice of computer paper (or card-stock if I'm lucky), MABEY a ruler and a white eraser that is becoming dull.
Then, I scan it in at 200 dpi, open it in PSP7, change the light to make it better, make a new layer to ink and color in, another layer for text, flatten, resize and save.

I don't have special pens or special pencils or special brownies to make mine fancy. no wander Esoterik has super drawing skillz! He has the stuff to do it for him! *growls* I'm going to sharpen my claws on your couch!
Where is your comic anyway?
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

I actually gave a presentation on how I do my comic as my demonstrative speech in my public speaking class. I have it on video, so I can probably post it when I convert it to DV.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Aropeofsand
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:31 pm
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Post by Aropeofsand »

FLASH!
Image

Andrew Hickey
Regular Poster
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:47 pm
Contact:

Post by Andrew Hickey »

Takes me about 12 hours to do a comic normally. The one I posted last Saturday was an exception - only took about 4 hours because five of the six panels are the same panel copy-and-pasted. The one before that though took maybe 30+ hours to do. This is why I'm updating sporadically at best...never try to do a photorealistic comic when you have no discernable artistic ability...
http://dumbangel.keenspace.com - Look!Listen!Vibrate!Smile!
FINALLY returned Aug 13 2005. Updated approximately weekly

Post Reply