Easy there, old timer.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Easy there, old timer.

Post by Van Douchebag »

Well, today I got one of the biggest surprises of my life as I went through pictures from the San Diego convention - all these famous webcomic artists are old.

Looking from face to face of the Keenspotters... looking at Mike and Jerry from PA... just... NO!
I don't know - I was under some weird impression that the majority of webcomic artists are in their early twenties.


I myself felt I was a little late to get in the game at age 17 when I concieved White Hydra and age 18 when I started to crank it out, but now looking at people's ages I'm a little put off and little ego inflated.

Just how old is everyone? I'm 18 (Birth date: February 24th, 1986)
Image

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

One of these again...

I was born in 1970, and I think I'm the third oldest here.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
[AOD]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: On the run!
Contact:

Post by [AOD] »

I'm 16, but I'll be 17 next May!

!~AoD
My Comic Hexagon Death Squad

A Comic I do with my Buddy Raocow: Artificial Time XS

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

Most big comic'ers have been at it for a few years, hence the large number of people in their early twenties. I'm 19 here, the comic was conceived when I was 15 in an attempt to improve traditional skills, and, uh, I still can't draw.

19 means I'm part of the '85 crew; Other members include the ever infamous Digital War, Trinket(?), Mr.Bob, Soap(?) and a few others I can't really remember....

For some odd reason I was expecting Douchebag to be older - probably the beard - but yeah, that explains a bit.

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Most people I meet think I'm in my twenties. I was growing a beard at age 15.
I still can't grow a moustache though, strangely.
Image

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

I'm 20 years and 2 days old ^.^
Image

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

20. 21 in about 1/2 a year.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
Zhan_Dvega
Regular Poster
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:49 pm

Post by Zhan_Dvega »

LAGtheNoggin wrote:19 means I'm part of the '85 crew; Other members include the ever infamous Digital War, Trinket(?), Mr.Bob, Soap(?) and a few others I can't really remember....
Zhan D'vega, Feb 6th y'all ;D
<a href="http://aiyaiyai.keenspace.com">Image</a>
Updates Sundaily

User avatar
Alaina
Regular Poster
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:37 pm
Location: Portland until California
Contact:

Post by Alaina »

I'm 18. And I think the reason many cartoonists are old is because it took them that long to actually get good at what they do.

Perhaps once they were young, like us...

User avatar
Soap Soaperson
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1182
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 7:44 am
Location: Florida

Post by Soap Soaperson »

LAGtheNoggin wrote:19 means I'm part of the '85 crew; Other members include the ever infamous Digital War, Trinket(?), Mr.Bob, Soap(?) and a few others I can't really remember....
Yup. March 24th. I wonder why that year gave such a big crop of webcomics artists? Well, on Keenspace, anyway. I'm not sure what the majority age is, but it seems to be 17 to 20.
Yay. | Yay Part II.

---

NOOOOTE: Any and all links posted by me have the possibility of being NWS, and are likely from http://www.LUElinks.net. K? K.

<Derenge> yo
<TLH> Hey Derenge, want an enema?
<Derenge> no

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

I'm 18 (DOB is July 18, 1986). I started on Keenspace when I was 15, I starting drawing comics at age 6. Yes, that's right, age 6. I had a comic called "The Toilet Zone" I need to dig up somewhere in my basement...
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Contact:

Post by KathleenJ »

< 21 in a little over a month. Started on th' Keenspace at 17.
Image

User avatar
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Post by Terotrous »

18. Birth date 1986/01/05
Frankly I was surprised the Keenspace crowd wasn't a little older. I originally figured the average age was around 21-23. However, after the first age thread I knew better.
It feels weird not to be the youngest one around because I always am everywhere else.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Image
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

User avatar
SuperSnob
Regular Poster
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: SK, Canada
Contact:

Post by SuperSnob »

I'm 19. Birthdate is July 3rd 1985. I've been drawing comics since I was about 5, but I did my first "serious" one 'round age 16-17. I started this one at the end of November so I would've been 18... :P
Image
These Days - updates on Thursdays.

User avatar
Resolve
Regular Poster
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:39 pm
Location: This island Earth
Contact:

Post by Resolve »

Uncanny! hey I started my first keenspace comic when i was 15 too. Back before there was an interenet! in 1806. I updated every mwf in my brain.

I'm 19 too.
It's kind of weird, when I first started I thought I was in the age minority.
"If all else fails let's go to Old Mexico."
Familiarblue I am Macdoogle

User avatar
Xmung
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Oz
Contact:

Post by Xmung »

ahem.......38...
:( :oops:
Magellan ... super hero cadets - their worst enemy is themselves!
Loxie and Zoot ... cos nudists have adventures too y'know!

User avatar
Patch
Regular Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Mexico

Post by Patch »

I

Esoterik
Regular Poster
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:15 pm

Post by Esoterik »

Birthdate: July 22, 1984. So that makes me 20. Yay!

Garasade
Regular Poster
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:54 am
Contact:

Post by Garasade »

I'm 22. I guess I am one of the older ones.

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Alaina wrote:I'm 18. And I think the reason many cartoonists are old is because it took them that long to actually get good at what they do.

Perhaps once they were young, like us...
Not really. A lot of older artists are raped by the new ones.

Just look at this guy's work. He's 16 or 17 if I remember and chills at the Spawn.com forum
http://www.geocities.com/art_of_rodrigo/main.html
Image

Post Reply