Which Gender do YOU like to draw?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Do you like to draw men or women more?

Women! I love zee boobs and zee curves!
31
46%
Dude, like, guys are, like SO totally Sex-AY!
13
19%
Um...I'm gonna take the middle road - both.
16
24%
Screw people! Neither!
7
10%
 
Total votes: 67

User avatar
Enoll
Regular Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:36 pm
Location: Tweed Heads, Australia
Contact:

Post by Enoll »

I draw both but I could never draw boobs properly..
they alwys ended up being all wonky or misshapen..
luckily I CAN draw just fine now...but there are a whole bunch
of cumpled up paper women out there that need surgery...
Yes..tis' I & my gang of Idiots.

Watchout for our comic "Irregular Guys"
..comming soon...hah.

User avatar
Asarea
Regular Poster
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:53 pm
Location: Outta space
Contact:

Post by Asarea »

Mhh I mostly draw women 'cause I draw my RPG characters ^^ but in fact I like to draw both. Each gender has its on specialities and until you have mastered the correct form of the breasts the beauty of women can compete easily with those of men ...
My DA-Gallery - some art stuff

User avatar
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 3182
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: How the hell should I know? I just live here...
Contact:

Post by KittyKatBlack »

sippan wrote:
KittyKatBlack wrote:
Ghastly wrote:A little from column A and a little from column B.

(Do I even need to qualify any link I put up as NSFW? I mean, c'mon!)
A link from Ghastly is like a horrible car accident. You don't want to look, but you just have to, and often times, you regret doing so soon aftewards.... :o
I dunno, that phrasing doesn't really apply to Ghastly's stuff, I think... Sounds more like what you could say about THIS (not at all worksafe) or *THIS* (mother of not worksafe)

Click on those and then you can talk about car accidents :D

...I hate you.

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

mcDuffies wrote:
KittyKatBlack wrote:
Ghastly wrote:A little from column A and a little from column B.

(Do I even need to qualify any link I put up as NSFW? I mean, c'mon!)
A link from Ghastly is like a horrible car accident. You don't want to look, but you just have to, and often times, you regret doing so soon aftewards.... :o
Meh, a girl with male genitals. Nothing I haven't seen before.

:oops: Um, not in live.
Well, I don't know the Ghastly's characters, but this one is supposed to be a guy, right? Well, maybe it's just the pose, but he seems to have a female pelvis.
And I find it odd, because usualy when Ghastly posts pictures of girls (again, I don't know the characters, so maybe they're not really girls, erm) their pelvises are not really feminine.

:-?
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

I'm kind of laughing at this thread... all these artists who are far and away better than I am at drawing can't draw breasts. Breasts are one of the few things I can draw pretty well. Faces are what kill me.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

I suck at drawing girls properly. I'm getting better at it, but there is a very good reason why there's only one girl in my comic. I suck royally at drawing them.

Okay there I said it. I like drawing guys more anyways. the broad shoulders and segmented jawlines are so much fun.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Wp
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:08 am
Contact:

Post by Wp »

Man, you guys should read anatomy drawing tutorials written by women. I think there's one on the howtodrawmanga.com site by Julie Dillon or something like that. She describes breasts as "overturned teacups" rather than balloon-like masses. Pretty good way to look at it if you're really trying to get anatomy right rather than the "j00 are teh sexy" effect.

User avatar
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls
Posts: 3568
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Together
Contact:

Post by MariaAndMichelle »

It's easier for Michelle to draw girls (y'know... 'cause she is one and all...), but 'SAK!' is full of boys which she has come to enjoy drawing... so... both...
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image

User avatar
Hiye
Regular Poster
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Sapporo, Japan
Contact:

Post by Hiye »

I like drawing boys better. The female curves are easier to draw, but in my opinion not as aesthetic as the planes and sharp angles of the male body.

The contradiction lies in the fact that the boys I draw are usually rather feminine. I prefer some degree of androgyny, so my drawings are a combination of stereotypical male and female features.

In fact, drawing hermaphrodites is fun. But then again, drawing and looking at female breasts is really not something I enjoy..
Image

'She seemed, poor woman, to imagine that the French and the Martians might prove very similar.'
-H.G. Wells, War of the Worlds

Melody
Regular Poster
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 9:21 am
Contact:

>>

Post by Melody »

Mmmmm. Breasts.

The abovementioned Julie's tutorial is where I learned effective breastdrawing.
http://www.gamasutra.com - Game developer community and resources.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Guys I suppose.

You have to be a lot more careful with girls...have to make sure they stay attractive and don't start looking manly.

Guys you can just go crazy and make 'em and crazy and ugly looking as you want...
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Enoll
Regular Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:36 pm
Location: Tweed Heads, Australia
Contact:

Post by Enoll »

Jackhass wrote:You have to be a lot more careful with girls...have to make sure they stay attractive and don't start looking manly.
That's true...I've seen drawn girls that look just like men
broad shoulders...manly chin....the works..

but hey..../there are lots of guys in real life that look like ugly chicks &
chicks that look like guys.
Yes..tis' I & my gang of Idiots.

Watchout for our comic "Irregular Guys"
..comming soon...hah.

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Sure...ugly chicks exist, heh...but who wants to draw those?

I should say, I'm actually pretty good at girls...most people prefer my girls. But I actually enjoy drawing guys more.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

::cringe::
Image

User avatar
Birdie
Keeps telling everyone stuff
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:50 am
Location: With your mom
Contact:

drawing A woman is fun.

Post by Birdie »

On my own I think I prefer to draw girls, in my comic all my characters were "male" until recently when I added my first female character, and she's fun to draw. It also added a whole new opportunity for bad jokes about women and dating.
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!

User avatar
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: College, CA
Contact:

Post by DEVO-Bot »

I just started drawing girls for the first time in the style I use for ORBVS, and it's a lot of fun! Especially drawing them in sexy leather catsuits... I guess I'm also really enjoying drawing my new female character because she's really sassy, and sassy people are so much fun to draw.

So my vote is now for "sassy girls" as a gender.
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
Image

Now Alive Again

User avatar
CapitanG
Regular Poster
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:32 pm
Location: My mountain hideout
Contact:

Post by CapitanG »

You had to invoke goatse and tubgirl, didn't you sippan?

For shame.

Liriel
Regular Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:20 pm
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Contact:

Post by Liriel »

You know for all this talk about anatomy and trying to draw breasts... has anyone considered that porn mags maybe yet the best resource for good lookin' boobs?

Anyhoo, I used to always have problems darwing women, so I've long prefered capturing maleness in the drawn form.

~Liriel
Image
Mature Readers ~ Every Thursday
-
Image

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

Liriel wrote:You know for all this talk about anatomy and trying to draw breasts... has anyone considered that porn mags maybe yet the best resource for good lookin' boobs?

~Liriel
I actually do look at women in porn magazines..... for Anatomy reasons.... don't look at me like that..... Liriel is correct in saying that they are a good resource for good looking boobs.

(BTW, long time no see Liriel, was beginning to wonder where you were at)
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

well current porn mags really are more silcone and malshaped forms. I do however have table photography books, of vintage stuff from the fifties and sixties that help out a lot. Man Ray, bettie Paige, and the like really are wonderful resources.

todays current standards really don't help me a lot. Now those weight lifting mags come in handy to help figure out anatomy stuff...

anyone ever use those?
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Post Reply