Not Politics

Postby Joshua_w on Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:32 am

Dan, it's a good thing I'm a bloody Canadian. Communism? USA? ARE YOU _TRYING_ TO GET YOURSELF KILLED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!<P>Uh, right. Later.
--jwh<P>------------------
Joshua W.,
Photon Jockey
Read the <A HREF="http://insidejoke.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Inside Joke</A> archive until I return. And return I shall.
Joshua_w
Regular Poster

Postby Tekker on Tue Oct 24, 2000 11:42 am

I'm hearing all this stuff about people voting in some election down in America, and since I'm a cynical Canadian, and I don't really know much about American politics, so I was hoping someone (anyone) could explain something to me. No matter how I watch, or how many news anchors try to explain it, I can't figure out the difference between the democratic and republican parties. Is there a difference? It seems no matter what, you're voting for basically the same thing, and this wouldn't really appeal to me. Are there any other options? Perhaps Communism is big in the States?<P>Okay, I hope this doesn't offend anyone. <P>------------------
Daniel Thibeault
I am not a stalker
I just happen to be very good at it
Tekker

Postby Tekker on Sun Oct 29, 2000 5:01 am

Look, I don't know. I'm sorry. Who's Joe McCarthy? Is he going to kill me? Apparently I've done something wrong.<P>------------------
Daniel Thibeault
I am not a stalker
I just happen to be very good at it
Tekker

Postby Chris Chobotor on Sun Oct 29, 2000 6:50 am

Communism in the USA?<P>Joe McCarthy, anyone?<P>(yes, I am an American)<P>------------------
Chris out. <A HREF="http://davidandjohn.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Read my comic</A>.
Chris Chobotor
Regular Poster

Postby Chris Chobotor on Mon Oct 30, 2000 3:51 am

Heh, no, I believe he's dead himself.<P>In the fifties he brought upon the idea that many Hollywood celebrities and such were communists, trying to slowly convert our nice democracy to communism. The concept was called McCarthyism.<P>I think that's how it went. I read about it a few years ago, and my mind's a bit fuzzy.<P>------------------
Chris out. <A HREF="http://davidandjohn.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Read my comic</A>.
Chris Chobotor
Regular Poster

Postby Joshua_w on Mon Oct 30, 2000 5:02 am

Hey, I know a bit about this....<P>ACCESSING LAST VESTIGES OF HISTORY 12 KNOWLEDGE:<P>McCarthy was this guy who likes to hold big, public trials, rooting "communists" out of America. The fact that most of them weren't communists was of no matter to this demento.<P>Heh heh. I said "demento."
--jwh<P>------------------
Joshua W.,
Photon Jockey
Read the <A HREF="http://insidejoke.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Inside Joke</A> archive until I return. And return I shall.
Joshua_w
Regular Poster

Postby Himitsu ya on Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:58 pm

Hey guys!

I guess I'm a just a very temporary guest. I'm from BMB and I was actually at Google looking for the Keenspace voting booth and I got you all instead. Not like its a bad thing, but I had better read Inside Joke. I may never see it if any of you reaspond, but I'd like to answer tekker's question.
First, I'm currently taking AP US History and I can confirm that J McCarthy was a Senator who gained power by playing on the general fear America had of Communism and accusing many people (who weren't) of being communists. He was extremely influential, but McCarthianism (or whatever its called) didn't last very long -- pretty sure it was less than a year. Eventually HE was accused of using false evidence, etc. He was probably disgraced, kicked out, or something, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
Yes, tekker, you must be crazy to suggest communism for the USA, but I can't blame you as I know nothing about Canadian politics. I've been to Quebec though! Actually, I'd be nice if you guys would give me a short explanation of Canada -- maybe I'll check back for it.
I don't think America is as panicky about Communism as it used to be, but remember we had the Cold War against the Soviet Union, and the stupid Vietnam War to hold back Communism. During most of this last century America had concerned itself from preventing the spread of communism. Personally, I think its a good concept, but it sucks in practice. People are corrupt, that is the way the world works. Knowing that, communism isn't really a good way to go because it takes the power from the people. At least in a Democratic system, we have more power to get rid of corrupt people.
Now, the Republican vs. Democrat thing.
First, Republicans are way cooler. (ok, can you tell I'm biased?) Well, Democrats are generally in favor of giving the government more control. Republicans try to keep the power with the people. Now, in my mind Democrats are generally trying to pass stuff that is good for everyone but it really just restricts us more(like, say, education) now originally this was SUPPOSED to be up to the states, but then the gov't took it over. I can see why the Democrats could want it regulated, but really, the gov't has now just frelled it all up. As my Dad says, they complain when freedoms are taken away that their own legislations were responsible for. Whatever.
One thing I can't understand is why people are so hard on Bush. So what if he isn't a great speaker? How superficial is that? Is it really important? He's honest which I have to say is #1 in my book. I'm sorry, but I've always thought that Gore was slimy.
Anyway, enough with my own political opinions. I hope I helped some. This has become way too long.

And I also hope someone actually does read this 'cause I just realized this was from 2000! You must have been talking about the election where the stupid old grannies in Florida couldn't understand (see?) their ballots and messed up the tally. It's really just a joke throughout the country, although some Democrats are probably still sore 'cause they'll claim Gore should've won in Florida.
Ugh, can't even stand Al's last name, it reminds me too much of gore crows from Garth Nix's Sabriel.

Goodnight

Chiana
The Donut Queen
"I am so going to kill my subconcious..." ~Cyanide
"Thank you: I do my best." ~Cyanide

"Hell is other people." ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the Universe together.
It SOLVES EVERTHING, even math problems.

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."
~Harry MacDougall
Himitsu ya

Return to Inside Joke