Movies: What makes and impact with you?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: hmm

Post by McDuffies »

fi13r wrote:
bright spark wrote:
fi13r wrote:I like "The Adventures of Baron van Munchhausen" quite a bit.
The death guy in that movie scared the fuck out of me when I was little.
Oh, and wasn't it voted one of the worst movies of all time in a poll or something?
By idiots, maybe.


What poll are we talkin' about, anyway? I always thought most people agreed that the worst movie of all time was Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space," although, to those who know, that isn't even Ed Wood's worst movie ("Bride Of The Monster" is MUCH worse).

Personally, I think the worst movie ever made is Bill Rebane's "Monster A-Go-Go." I've seen it 3 times, and I still have no idea what happened in it.
Yes, Munchausen is a masterpiece, IMO. I like it even more probably, because of all Pythons, I like Idle the best. But you have to be a certain kind of person for it - to have your wacky side. :)
I guess that's the case with most of his movies. That's why I think "Brasil" is the best: it's the most universal, covers wider audience while remaining original T.G.
But I like "12 monkies" too very much. Apart from being the best Bruce-Villis-saves-the-world-SF-spectacle there is, It's masterpiece of film language. The one scene that I'll never forget: giraffes running over the bridge.

I've seen "Plan 9" and although it is awfull, I also wouldn't take it for the worst. I mean, there's so much worse things filmed meantime... the worse ones, well, I've seen I can't even remember their names.
If we're talking in terms of script, "Wild things" is near the top. Take first 45 minutes as a standard erotic thriller story, and what do you get till the rest of the movie? :lol: :lol: :lol: Laughter bursts induced by wannabe-DePalma behaviour and depressing urge to drag the film to 90 minutes.

Here's two films I reccomend, they're soo bad, they're actually fun: "Attack of ninja cheerleaders" and "Killer Barbies vs. Dracula".
I actually like watching bad movies, much more than average. And if they're bad bacause of lack of money put into them, the better.

User avatar
ShineDog
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:56 am
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Post by ShineDog »

that one film. with the mathemetician. and the rabbi. and then he STABS HIMSELF IN THE BRAIN.

yeah.

something about a mathematical formula inherent to everything. and the big computer.


and the SPIDER in the computer and it EXPLODES.

or something

what the hell was that film?
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.

User avatar
ShineDog
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:56 am
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Post by ShineDog »

figure it out from that, the most vague and rambling discription ever, and i shall reward you with a progress cake. just like granny used to make.
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.

User avatar
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: College, CA
Contact:

Post by DEVO-Bot »

ShineDog wrote:that one film. with the mathemetician. and the rabbi. and then he STABS HIMSELF IN THE BRAIN.

yeah.

something about a mathematical formula inherent to everything. and the big computer.


and the SPIDER in the computer and it EXPLODES.

or something

what the hell was that film?
Pi.
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
Image

Now Alive Again

User avatar
Okie
Regular Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Okie »

If by "Fight Club" and "The Usual Suspects" you mean "Eraserhead", then yes, the ultimate mind-fuck movie.
Naked Lunch is on the same level as Eraserhead.
I always thought most people agreed that the worst movie of all time was Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space," although, to those who know, that isn't even Ed Wood's worst movie ("Bride Of The Monster" is MUCH worse).
Let me guess, you haven't seen Orgy of the Dead (written by Ed Wood), Necromania (directed by Ed Wood), The Love Feast (starring Ed Wood), or One Million AC/DC (written by Ed Wood).

I've seen most of his movies, except for the Snowbunny, Stewardess, and Cowboy ones. They get a lot worse than Bride of the Monster. BotM had a plot, and more than one location.

The song from One Million AC/DC follows thusly:
The Spear Goes in-to the Monster
The Spear Goes in-to the Monster
The Spear Goes in-to thaaa Mawwnsssttterrrrrr....
And the monster loses his mind!
<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">Image
<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">Roughies</a>
For fans of Brainwashing and Garbage Eating.

User avatar
Okie
Regular Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Okie »

I'm still looking for a copy of this 1998 Billy Zane, Christina Ricci, Jon Ritter, Ron Pearlman, Sandra Bernhardt movie based on an ED WOOD short story.

I Woke Up Early the Day I Died
http://www.iwokeupearly.com/download/iwuetdid.mpg

User avatar
Ratbert
Regular Poster
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:22 pm
Location: vmbnslngslrjgoergm
Contact:

Post by Ratbert »

Regardless, the movie "Ed Wood" was pretty good.

I think Road to Pardition was pretty touching. I mean, I knew the kid wasn't gonna shoot the photographer, as it would have ruined the whole point of the movie, but when everything came together, it was brilliant.
Image

Fi13r
Regular Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:05 am
Location: The Planet England (Not the COUNTRY... the PLANET)
Contact:

Re: hmm

Post by Fi13r »

mcDuffies wrote:Here's two films I reccomend, they're soo bad, they're actually fun: "Attack of ninja cheerleaders" and "Killer Barbies vs. Dracula".
I actually like watching bad movies, much more than average. And if they're bad bacause of lack of money put into them, the better.
I wanna see Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter. JUST because of the title.
Image
What the heck is going on here??


"I am an Automaton Nuclear Neo-Human Android."

User avatar
Okie
Regular Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Okie »

I hear its good, but people complain that Jesus gets a haircut and modern clothes very early in the movie, ruining his Jesusishness.

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Okie wrote:I hear its good, but people complain that Jesus gets a haircut and modern clothes very early in the movie, ruining his Jesusishness.
If he were into punk, he'd look like me.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
DGC
Regular Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:27 am
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by DGC »

"Manos: the Hands of Fate" gets my vote for worst movie in history. It was... wow...

"Attack of the the Eye Creatures" which I also saw on mst3k was pretty bad too. (The extra "the" is not a typo on my part.)
"The Last Star Fighter was a guy from a trailer park. And people from trailer parks are MEAN."
http://section3.comicgenesis.com
http://www.myspace.com/benmannix-because I'm just too lazy to have a Real Blog

User avatar
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: College, CA
Contact:

Re: hmm

Post by DEVO-Bot »

fi13r wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:Here's two films I reccomend, they're soo bad, they're actually fun: "Attack of ninja cheerleaders" and "Killer Barbies vs. Dracula".
I actually like watching bad movies, much more than average. And if they're bad bacause of lack of money put into them, the better.
I wanna see Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter. JUST because of the title.
"The Power of Christ Impales You!"

But seriously, folks, I just saw Love, Actually, and (please don't hurt me) it was incredible. One of my friends was moved to tears several times, and the sarcastic people I was watching it with actually shut up for most of it. I no longer hate people nearly as much...
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
Image

Now Alive Again

Fi13r
Regular Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:05 am
Location: The Planet England (Not the COUNTRY... the PLANET)
Contact:

Re: hmm

Post by Fi13r »

DEVO-Bot wrote:
fi13r wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:Here's two films I reccomend, they're soo bad, they're actually fun: "Attack of ninja cheerleaders" and "Killer Barbies vs. Dracula".
I actually like watching bad movies, much more than average. And if they're bad bacause of lack of money put into them, the better.
I wanna see Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter. JUST because of the title.
"The Power of Christ Impales You!"

But seriously, folks, I just saw Love, Actually, and (please don't hurt me) it was incredible. One of my friends was moved to tears several times, and the sarcastic people I was watching it with actually shut up for most of it. I no longer hate people nearly as much...
Um, isn't Hugh Grant in that?

I'm sorry, but it's impossible for a movie with Hugh Grant in it to not be utterly contemptable.
Image
What the heck is going on here??


"I am an Automaton Nuclear Neo-Human Android."

User avatar
Bright spark
Regular Poster
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Post by Bright spark »

Four weddings and a funeral was pretty good, I think.
Go on, check it out


http://brightspark.keenspace.com- is now dead, but drop by and pay your respects.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~misjed/- my sisters comic, be nice to her and she'll be nice to me.

User avatar
Okie
Regular Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Okie »

Four weddings and a funeral reminds me of two great movies...

Harold and Maude. This 70's cult classic makes everyone laugh, and makes a lot of people cry. Its about a young man who's hobby is death.

Kissed starring Molly Parker as a necrophiliac.

User avatar
Bright spark
Regular Poster
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Post by Bright spark »

They both sound really interesting
Go on, check it out


http://brightspark.keenspace.com- is now dead, but drop by and pay your respects.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~misjed/- my sisters comic, be nice to her and she'll be nice to me.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

bright spark wrote:Four weddings and a funeral was pretty good, I think.
I think thats's because it was the first of his long line of cloned roles in British Rom-coms.

I mean geez, he's pretty much the same foppish twit in Notting Hill, Mickey Blue eyes and all the rest of them.
He was slightly better in Bridget Jones' diary because he was a bad guy for once.
But it was back to romantic business as usual again in love actually, but I'd really only gone to see that because Rowan Atkinson was in the title credits (Oh boy! How they lied to me! 3 lines..???). Anyway I quite enjoyed it especially forthe appearance of a popular British ensemble cast. My best bit being the innocent relationship between the porn stars John (Tim from the office) and Judy.

I'd pay money to see Hugh Grant in a war movie where he is brutaly killed by wild dogs (Julia Roberts and barbara Striesand?).

User avatar
ShineDog
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:56 am
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Post by ShineDog »

national lampoons men in white.

worst movie ever, by a very.... VERY... VERY long shot
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.

User avatar
Chaos Cricket
Regular Poster
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:35 am
Location: State of Delusion
Contact:

Post by Chaos Cricket »

No, I'm fairly certain the worst movie in existence is an old sci-fi superhero flick called Supersonic Man. I think the thing was filmed in Italy years ago.

As an exampel of just how bad this film is: there's a scene where the heronie is being chased by the bad guys. She's driving down this road, and there's a tractor or something in the road up ahead. Supersonic Man "flies" down (it was obvious he was standing and just bent over in front of the camera for the flying effect), lifts up the tractor, and she drives under. Except in the shot of him lifting the tractor, you can see that it's obviously a cardboard cut out.

But that's not the best part. Supersonic Man sets the tractor back down, so the bad guys have to swerve off the road. They start rolling down a hill, and suddenly one of them says, "oh no!" and the car bursts into flames for no apparent reason. They didn't hit anything, not even a bump. The car just...exploded. Poorly.

We decided to turn the movie off after watching that scene a couple of times. It was just...awful.
~Chuck
Image
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing."
~Kingsley Amis

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Chaos Cricket wrote:We decided to turn the movie off after watching that scene a couple of times. It was just...awful.
a couple of times.

I like that.

:D
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Post Reply