How much time do you spend making your comic?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

How many hours a week do you spend on your comic?

1-2 hours
10
12%
2-5 hours
26
31%
6-8 hours
19
23%
8-12 hours
11
13%
12 hours and above
11
13%
0 hours (I'm not crazy enough to do a webcomic)
6
7%
 
Total votes: 83

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

There have been times when I wish I hadn't done the Jaded in colour, because it really slows down the pace at which I can tell the story without burning out.

But I do have a rough estimate of where the comic is going, and when and how it's going to end, so it does keep me going, knowing that there is an end somewhere down the road, years and years away though it may be. ;)

Of course, that doesn't stop me from endlessly experimenting and finding new ways to do stuff faster and better.

I don't believe in dragging out a comic on and on until the characters 'go past their prime', or so to speak, or until the readers themselves get bored with it. That would be even worse.

Speaking of which- I just removed CRFH from my bookmarks list. It was a great comic and I really loved it in the beginning, but it's been dragging on and on, and at one point I realised I'd been reading for half a year without getting any enjoyment from it. I'd been doing it only because I've been reading it for the past 4 years or so. I'd stopped caring for the characters, and it was time to stop.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Research: 8-40 hours total per storyline.

Individual comics: 45 minutes apiece.

It used to be a half hour, but I've gotten a bit more careful about drawing my main character. Still, he's just a blob of light and I draw in PSP, not on paper, so I can bang them out pretty quickly.

Then again, if I tried to draw with pencil and paper, the effect would be useful to poison control centers for when they need to induce vomiting.

Art is definately not a career for me.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Post by Terotrous »

Kyouryuu wrote:It depends. In the short stint I did CG'ed work it took me forever and even then it didn't turn out too well.
The problem is the "short" part. CG is like anything. You get better and faster at it as time goes on.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Image
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Script: hard to say, as I rewrite it a couple of times before it's really finished. I'd estimate an average storyline, month long, to a few sleepless nights of work.
Once that's finished, I need less that an hour to finish a comic. Depends on size, really, but usually not more than hour.
CRX usually takes me a lot more, since it's a bigass page format.

That's actually a good side of tablet. When working with pen and paper, I need 7-8 hours to finish a page.

User avatar
Chrismills
Regular Poster
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Contact:

Post by Chrismills »

Now that On the Job has switched to a cut and paste format, each one takes about 30 minutes. I'd like to spend more time, but grad school has to come first.
Image

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

Okay. I just checked and it seems like I'm way under 6 hours.
I can start work around 16:00, and have it all ready before 22:00, taking a couple of breaks, scanning pencils for backup, doing various random stuff and reading a short story in the mean time.

But still, every week I seem to procrastinate a bit longer than the previous. And then I work a bit faster than the previous week.
And I wonder where that leads.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Worked on a comic for 10 hours. Still in the pencil and ink stage.

Stopped to think for a bit, and then thought it might be a better idea to do tomorrows comic instead of one for two weeks time.

Wethamster
Regular Poster
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:54 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Wethamster »

All dependning. Rushart where the art looks horrible and I dont have time to make it looks any nicer, that takes 30 mins about. But normally I like to use 2-3 hours on a page, since my comic has small updates everyday 2-3 panels everyday. you get a tiny bit of the story everyday. *shrugs* Thats what people wanted, I aske people what they wanted at somepoint and seems like everyone wanted a lot of small updates everyday instead of the big comic page with lots of panels a few times a week.

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

TDL
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
LennyZ
Regular Poster
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by LennyZ »

I really can't say how long it takes, since college applications have sucked up my life (I'm actually doing one right now).

But on average I draw every day during class. Almost never at home.

Storyboard: 10 minutes max
Penciling: 1-5 hours
Inking: 15-30 minutes
Coloring: 1-3 hours

So a little over 5 hours is the average.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I noticed it takes me more and more time. Dunno why.

User avatar
SuperJoe
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2962
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Landland.
Contact:

Post by SuperJoe »

One hour?!
What kind of insane comic takes an hour to do?
You horrible jerks.
The unSnarkable J-Walkin'!

User avatar
VileTerror
Anti-Villain
Posts: 3437
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:16 am
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.
Contact:

Um . . .

Post by VileTerror »

Are you insinuating it
Haughty spirit and pride make for a wild roller coaster ride!
I mean, as long as you like fairly final endings.

DarkArtist
Regular Poster
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:36 am
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by DarkArtist »

It seems that it is taking me more and more time to do pages. The better I draw the slower i get. I think the average page runs me about 3-5 hours to create, letter and post.
Image

User avatar
SuperJoe
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2962
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Landland.
Contact:

Post by SuperJoe »

I'm insinuating that it is too long.
Far too long.
I mean unless one comic is like two comic sized pages with full colour. Then I would say you'd top a bit over an hour.
The unSnarkable J-Walkin'!

User avatar
Dalis
Regular Poster
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:50 pm
Contact:

My times

Post by Dalis »

Mine's jump up and down in time, it all depends on how quickly my brain clicks for the mood to work on the comic as a whole.

I usualy right down scripts while I'm in my college classes.. so that's 15 minutes there, but it's for more than one page.

The panels themselves take the longest time, an hour or more(3+ hours, I'm picky about my art) if I'm not satisfied with the picture.
1 hour to reline the pencil art.
1-2 hours on coloring if the panels need coloring.
30 minutes to review the script for spelling errors and such since my grammar's pretty bad. I also need to reword and change the sentances if I need too.
Then I upload away!
-Dalis

Image

User avatar
Nishichi27
Regular Poster
Posts: 705
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 11:44 am
Location: Tied up in M.E. Charm's basement, at the moment.
Contact:

Post by Nishichi27 »

SuperJoe wrote:I'm insinuating that it is too long.
Far too long.
I mean unless one comic is like two comic sized pages with full colour. Then I would say you'd top a bit over an hour.
*Ahem*.....

Only one comic-sized page, full color, and about 4-8 hours to work on it, for each of mine. If I only took an hour to do all that, it would probably not look nearly as nice :-?

An hour is hardly long enough for me to clean up the picture and do the lettering!
-Fire our shit!
-But I am Le Tired....
-OK take a nap.
THEN FIRE OUR SHIT!!
==========================
Supaa Disco revolution apocalypse Mahou genki na Tokyo watashi doki doki sugoii mega kawaii baka otaku neo neko wai wai chibi bishonen manga o kudasai hai onegai no uta 25k!!

Image

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

Ah, whatever works. Nishi, you labor over yours for hours, attending every little detail, and it shows in your work (oooh, color). Joe here is more gestural and loose, and that shows. Not that either is better than the other, just that each fits what their trying to do. I would tend to agree, though, that most people should be working over an hour on a page.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
SuperJoe
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2962
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Landland.
Contact:

Post by SuperJoe »

Actually, I just joke around because I am so terrible at drawing.
If I took 4 to 6 (sorry, 8. WOW!) hours I'm sure I could make a lovely page, but frankly working on anything for that long would make me want to kill myself more than usual, so honestly if you have the power to be able to do that I commend you.
Me, I will stick to quick little doodles that fly off my fingers in no time flat.
The unSnarkable J-Walkin'!

User avatar
Guyara
Regular Poster
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:09 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Post by Guyara »

The time I spend on making a page for my comic varies a lot, but I believe the average is between 6 and 8 hours. I think about the layout of the panels, what is supposed to happen on the page as a whole, and in each panel, and how the text whould go, how I should display the content of each panel, and so on. This could take some time, and it's not just when I sit at the table, drawing my comic. After that, I sketch the content of the page, which could take 2 to 4 hours, as I might come up with a better way to draw a panel, and as I prefer detailed sketches. Then I ink the page, using between 1 and 3 hours. When I'm done inking, I scan the page and put in some text and text balloons using Photoshop 7. This might take up to an hour, as I don't write anything down so I can just look at it, and type it in. But it still might vary a couple of hours more or less. :)
Not using Keenspace, I just am here. For some reason. Probably because I'm making a webcomic. Yeah.

Post Reply