**grumbles**

Postby Woody_Hearn on Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:34 am

Stupid Keenspace. What do they do? Shut the servers off on the weekends to conserve bandwidth?

I mean, hell these days it's hit and miss whether the site will be up or not, and that does NOT count the weekends.

Thank goodness I don't do 7 strips a week anymore.

EDIT: NOTE:: I DO NOT actually have a problem with Keenspace. I know that the down time is a result of the recent server moves. And NOT Keenspace's fault in the least. They are constantly IMPROVING their services... they should be commended.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Woody_Hearn on 2002-03-05 17:08 ]</font>
Woody_Hearn
Regular Poster

Postby Hugh_Betcha on Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:26 am

On 2002-03-03 10:34, Woody_Hearn wrote:
Thank goodness I don't do 7 strips a week anymore.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Woody_Hearn on 2002-03-03 10:36 ]</font>

I'm inclined to disagree with the cartoonist on this point, if only to cause undue pressure upon him for the sake of my self-absorbed fandom. While the proper degree of ingratitude would also include calling him "lazy" for giving us funnies only 3 days out of the week instead of 7, and mind you this is done only by presuming that he has no life of his own outside the strip and that his existance is solely for the purpose of amusing me for free, I'm trying to grandfather him into me being a complete and utter dick, by being just a little bit more dickish each week. Cartoonists love this.
Hugh_Betcha
Regular Poster

Postby Takara on Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:30 am

Dickish. Nice new word. *grins*

Well, knowing that there's not a new comic, i'm not AS cranky that Keenspace is down, though I'm sure it doesn't help you any that they can't decide if they should be up or down... But it is a free service afterall.

*pets Woody*
Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.
Takara
Regular Poster

Postby Katina on Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:11 pm

well it took hitting refresh about a hundred times before the comic actually came up.. soo.. yeah... stupid keenspace.
Katina Waelin'sargtlin
Cazic-thule
Elg'caressen
Katina

Postby Shadowydreamer on Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:06 am

And so I present the words of wisdom..

"It's free, ain't it?"

You get what you pay for.. and while Keenspot may be down 25% of the time, they're *up* 75% of the time. If you don't like their service, buy a server, park it at a server warehouse and run your comic / humour thing from there.

Worked for me. ^_^
Shadowydreamer
Regular Poster

Postby Woody_Hearn on Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:01 am

Listen... I know that with Keenspace I'm "getting what I pay for". I hate that comment it's stupid.

But listen when it comes to GU and moving it off of a free host and onto a free server... go out and price over 120 gigs of bandwidth each month on a dedicated server.

Sorry, but the unemployed tend not to want to dump over $700 a month on a hobby.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Woody_Hearn on 2002-03-04 05:08 ]</font>
Woody_Hearn
Regular Poster

Postby Hugh_Betcha on Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:08 am

Heck, I'm employed and -I- don't wanna spend 700$ for just -one- month to support my hobby. Which means that XBox and PS2 ain't happenin' anytime soon.
Hugh_Betcha
Regular Poster

Postby Woody_Hearn on Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:56 pm

**looks at the PS2 that's been sittin beside the TV untouched since Devil May Cry came out and starts to feel really bad.**

And I'm boycotting the XBox in my house.
**grins and nudges**
Woody Hearn - cartoonist
gucomics.keenspace.com
GU Comics
Woody_Hearn
Regular Poster

Postby Hugh_Betcha on Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:55 pm

Don't feel bad, I've got a Gameboy Advance keeping me warm at night. And my failure to buy those other two is less indicative of a financial blight than it is of a neurosis I have about getting anything for myself. I'm scared to spend money on things unless they're for someone else. I did just negotiate the purchase of a Sega Genesis, with 2 controllers, all hookups, and 8 games, for a grand total of about 20 US Dollars, but as is fitting with my delicate condition, it's not for me.

PS2 has the allure of Final Fantasy X, topped with crispy bacon and tangy tomatoes. XBox now has the zesty flavor of Jet Set Radio Future with their secret-recipe cajun-style croutons to give it that extra bite. So I'm conflicted.

Of course, there is that one particular game out there for the XBox which Shall Not Be Named, Much Less Purchased, but one can't really fault the entire console for that.
Hugh_Betcha
Regular Poster

Postby Woody_Hearn on Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:34 pm

SHHHHHHH.... if I don't think I hate it, then I'll think I want/need it.

So... **ahems**... The XBox is banned from my home I say. To the death with the injection molded, car-sized controller using, evil game harboring, piece of Microsoft devilry.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Woody_Hearn on 2002-03-04 14:35 ]</font>
Woody_Hearn
Regular Poster

Postby Shadowydreamer on Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:14 am

Listen... I know that with Keenspace I'm "getting what I pay for". I hate that comment it's stupid.

Why thank you, I always enjoy being called an idiot by a comic artist. "Come, enjoy my comic. But as soon as I disagree with you, I shall insult you."

Let's try this little concept a second time. Keenspace is paying the bandwidth to host your comic. *They're* paying the supposed-$700 a month for /GU to exist. Yes, maybe the service sucks in comparison to many other things, but it's FREE.

So *you're* not paying the supposed-$700 a month is bandwidth.

My point? (Which you seemed to have missed last time?) Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It might not be everything it could be, but it's better than nothing.

[P.S. 120 Gigs of bandwidth a month costs me $60 CDN.]
Shadowydreamer
Regular Poster

Postby Hugh_Betcha on Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:50 am

On 2002-03-05 08:14, Shadowydreamer wrote:
Why thank you, I always enjoy being called an idiot by a comic artist. "Come, enjoy my comic. But as soon as I disagree with you, I shall insult you."

It's free, ain't it?
Hugh_Betcha
Regular Poster

Postby Takara on Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:52 am

On 2002-03-05 08:14, Shadowydreamer wrote:

My point? (Which you seemed to have missed last time?) Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It might not be everything it could be, but it's better than nothing

And maybe... JUST MAYBE.. he already knows that?

Let the man vent for chrissakes. It's frustrating when you have thousands of page hits everyday and your service is down. Free or not, it still sucks. Does that mean he shouldn't be frustrated?

Assberry.
Takara
Regular Poster

Postby Orenda SilverCougar on Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:13 pm

*sits next to Woody*

We were warned about this place... :wink: Heck I *still* can't get my site updated.

*smooches Woody*
Orenda SilverCougar
Regular Poster

Postby Shadowydreamer on Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:12 pm

I wasn't complaining you were being grumpy / rude / insulting / petty / immature, I was poking. [Pick an adjective that fits, I don't know you, I can't.]

What gets me is that people will bitch about a free service but continue to use it.. "I pay nothing a month and I expect perfection!" .. It's kind of unrealistic and ungrateful.

People volunteer their time, effort and knowledge to run a free service but yet there's certain artists who use Keenspot / Keenspace are really negative towards Keenspot / Keenspace. Just seems unappreciative and kind of rude.. In reality land, for all *I* know those self-same artists are flooding the inboxes of Keenspot techs saying "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" but I can only go on what I see in public.

Now, if they charged you $40 a month and still had the horrific service, then I would support you in all rants and bitches and moans. If you pay money and get a bad service, be grumpy.. But if you go with a free product and get what you consider bad service.. well, what do you expect? Perfection for free?

Now that I've helped blow this all COMPLETELY out of proportion.. >_< .. I'll bow out gracefully and leave you to your comic and forum. I do enjoy the comic but I obviously share different views of life and conduct from artist and fans.
Shadowydreamer
Regular Poster

Postby Woody_Hearn on Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:56 pm

Listen shadowy, you came in and posted on my board (provided by the wonderful people at Keenspace, thank you for your time). That means you are subject to me as a person controlling these boards (provided by the wonderful people at Keenspace, thank you for your time). If you don't like the things I say or do, take a walk. I could care less. You're a drop in the proverbial bucket and I don't need your kind of sillyness in my fan muster.

The fact is, I know that the problems with keenspace are being caused by the current server moves. I know I get this for free. But as for what they pay... hell you shot yourself in the foot didn't you? Keenspace ain't paying $700 a month if you know there are places that sell the bandwidth for $60 huh? They have more end resources than a person flying solo does. I expect they KNOW where to find cheap bandwidth, and can get huge discounts because of the bandwidth they use. Besides, you see that banner at the top of every single page? Hmm... you think the 2million+ page views this month netted them more than $60? Oh ... I would venture to guess so.

I came in to grumble that's it. You're the one that opened your mouth to berate me. And I didn't call you an idiot. If I thought you were an idiot, I assure you, I would have said: "You're an idiot." What I said was that I feel that "get what you pay for" comment is stupid. I don't care WHO uses it... you, my mom, the president. So, get off your high horse, looking up at you makes my neck sore.

A final point of humor for me would be that I have advised Keenspace for more than one person in my day. I don't have problems with Keenspace. I have a problem with the downtime, which is the result of a move for our benifit, and is not really Keenspace's fault. So take your artist bashing elsewhere. If I feel I need to say "this sucks" then I will.

Now waddle off to annoy someone else, I have a comic strip to do.

Edit: typos, tense, grammar, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Woody_Hearn on 2002-03-05 17:19 ]</font>
Woody_Hearn
Regular Poster

Postby Takara on Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:24 pm

Amen
Takara
Regular Poster

Postby Takara on Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:28 pm

Damn double posts.

I suppose i'll take this opportunity to tell Woody something.

NUB!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Takara on 2002-03-05 17:29 ]</font>
Takara
Regular Poster

Postby Woody_Hearn on Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:33 pm

'Tard Scooter
Woody Hearn - cartoonist
gucomics.keenspace.com
GU Comics
Woody_Hearn
Regular Poster

Postby Whallil on Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:09 am

Ya know one thing you all need to think about is that keenspace is getting something out of this also! /gu... let me ask you all how many of you heard about keenspace before woody came back? I can tell you I wasn't one of them. so the way I look at it, woody you are doing them a favor by plugging their site and in turn you let them hold your comics each month!

complain all ya want dude! downtime sucks anyway ya look at it
Whallil

Next

Return to GU Comics