Another obscure question

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Another obscure question

Postby robotthepirate on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:57 am

I'm king of those.

Anyone remember Logo?
We used to use it at school and it makes me wonder if there's something similar but more practical out there. What I want is a program I can draw Robot in with a bunch of written commands, then if I want to draw him again in a slightly different position, I make a few changes and BAM!

With most comics this wouldn't work but for RTP I've already set up a way of doing this manually on photoshop, it's just so darn faffy. I can construct Robot entirely out of strategically placed lines and circles, once it's set up I don't really need to be there, only I do because I have nothing to do the actual construction for me. It's like being a architect on a row of identially houses and having to build to all of them yourself because you don't have any builders.

So I know it'd work. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what I can use to do it.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Re: Another obscure question

Postby chainmailbikini on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Have you ever thought about making your comic with a vector drawing program like Flash? You could make sprites of your characters for cutting and pasting, you can add scripts if you're in to programming, and even do some simple animation if you want.
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

Postby spoonyliger on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:31 pm

chainmailbikini wrote:Have you ever thought about making your comic with a vector drawing program like Flash? You could make sprites of your characters for cutting and pasting, you can add scripts if you're in to programming, and even do some simple animation if you want.

Homestuck comes to mind... :shifty:
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby Bustertheclown on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:06 pm

Is there a good free/open source vector-based drawing program out there? A GIMP for Flash type of thing?
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby CMikeNIke on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Inkscape is decent. I don't know if it has any sort of scripting or animating thing. But it's not super complicated to make up vector images and stuff like that.
CMikeNIke
Regular Poster

Postby Bustertheclown on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for the tip. I don't need the animation, so this should work out just fine.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:57 am

Inkscape is brilliant. If it wasn't for people weren't so ridiculous about wanting AI formatted... I wouldn't even use Illustrator.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby robotthepirate on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:48 am

Awesome. Cheers guys. This should do the trick once I get the hang of all the controls.

Still learning how to use photoshop after all these years so I'll be doing things the hard way for a long time but this'll certainly be something to push me forward.

I did think of Flash but the cost thing was an issue, Buster must have been chanelling me with that question.

And I can get the hang of it with my new project... but more on that later.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Return to General Discussion