Does monochrome work better for my comic?

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Does monochrome work better for my comic?

Postby Harishankar on Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Since I've published only six episodes as of now, I'm still looking to improve in some areas.

Firstly, I've been colouring all my comics in full colour. But now, after finishing my latest one (as yet unpublished), I tried to "colour down" my comic:
test-monochrome.png
(293.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Now this was fully coloured, but reduced in GIMP to monochrome.

I have a few questions:

1. Does this look better than fully coloured? Does mono work for my art style (look at my earlier comics for the coloured ones)
2. Should I abandon colour entirely and simply colour in monochrome directly? (if the above answer is yes) Or continue to colour the strip and then tone down afterwards?
3. Should I replace my earlier coloured strips with monochrome?
Harishankar
Regular Poster

Re: Does monochrome work better for my comic?

Postby McDuffies on Tue May 22, 2012 5:16 am

It gives an old photograph feel.
I don't have experience with working in limited colour range, though I've seen a few fine comics done that way... It is said that it's a different process from just de-colourizing coloured strips, but I can't vouch for that.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Harishankar on Tue May 22, 2012 5:39 am

I thought it matched the satirical theme of my comic better than full colour. Yes, if I decide on monochrome for the future ones, I would probably use a limited palette at the colouring stage, rather than colouring it fully and then reducing it to greyscale/sepia.
Harishankar
Regular Poster

Postby MichaelYakutis on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm

I rather like the monochrome. When looking at your art style, it would seem more obvious that it would be done in full color, so doing it in monochrome makes it a bit more unique. If you do decide to make the switch, it may be a good idea to either wait until a new chapter to do so, or go back and change the previous pages to monochrome as you had suggested. I think it's ok to wait until a new chapter if you don't want to have to recolor old page, which always sucks. You just want to avoid making the shift mid-chapter.
MichaelYakutis
Regular Poster

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks