o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

Postby Deckard Canine on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:30 pm

I've found for several days now that when I try to log in -- regardless of which computer or Net client I use -- the progress bar lingers around the halfway mark for a bit and then I get either a blank page or an error page that redirects me to the login screen. When I try refreshing the blank page, it says I timed out.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Kisai on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Which siteadmin?
which page?
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Deckard Canine on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Kisai wrote:Which siteadmin?
which page?

I use this URL. It's been no trouble for years, until lately.

The last time I tried logging in and refreshing, the message was "502 Bad Gateway: The CGI was not CGI/1.1 compliant." Whatever that means.

A friend suggested that I copy my drawing from Windows Explorer, use IE8 to access the FTP directly, and paste the drawing in. When I try, the "Paste" option is always grayed out.

My comic, if it makes a difference, is Downscale.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Whatupwidat on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:54 pm

One thing I've been wondering, and I'll put it here for the sake of space and not wanting to create a new thread just for it, is what happened to the site-traffic-tracker?

I recently managed to get back on the CG Site Admin page for my comic after finding a txt file on my PC with the password to it, and eagerly scrolled to the "STATS" part...but it hasn't been updated since Feb 09.

Obviously this isn't a big deal or anything, but I really enjoyed seeing where people were getting my site reffered from and don't know of any programs I as a user can download and use without access to the server.

But like I say, it's not a problem or anything, I'm just curious more than anything.
Whatupwidat
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:A friend suggested that I copy my drawing from Windows Explorer, use IE8 to access the FTP directly, and paste the drawing in. When I try, the "Paste" option is always grayed out.

Okay, I found that a variation of this method works: FTPs can be accessed via WE. Web-FTP is still problematic, but I'll probably never need it again.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Spaceprincess on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Whatupwidat wrote:One thing I've been wondering, and I'll put it here for the sake of space and not wanting to create a new thread just for it, is what happened to the site-traffic-tracker?

I recently managed to get back on the CG Site Admin page for my comic after finding a txt file on my PC with the password to it, and eagerly scrolled to the "STATS" part...but it hasn't been updated since Feb 09.

Obviously this isn't a big deal or anything, but I really enjoyed seeing where people were getting my site reffered from and don't know of any programs I as a user can download and use without access to the server.

But like I say, it's not a problem or anything, I'm just curious more than anything.

they stopped using. it was causing some problems and taking up too much server space.
google analytics works pretty well for tracking info.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby Kisai on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:
Kisai wrote:Which siteadmin?
which page?

I use this URL. It's been no trouble for years, until lately.

The last time I tried logging in and refreshing, the message was "502 Bad Gateway: The CGI was not CGI/1.1 compliant." Whatever that means.

A friend suggested that I copy my drawing from Windows Explorer, use IE8 to access the FTP directly, and paste the drawing in. When I try, the "Paste" option is always grayed out.

My comic, if it makes a difference, is Downscale.

That's not siteadmin. That's the broken web-ftp. Use http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/net2ftp/index.php or use a real ftp client.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Kisai on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Spaceprincess wrote:
Whatupwidat wrote:One thing I've been wondering, and I'll put it here for the sake of space and not wanting to create a new thread just for it, is what happened to the site-traffic-tracker?

they stopped using. it was causing some problems and taking up too much server space.

A little from column A, a little from column b.

Pretty much can be summed up as, the server was spending 90% of it's time processing webalizer logs, and 10% of it's time serving comics. Unfortunately the way virtual-host setups work, there is no efficient way of logging all the sites while also keeping accurate logs. Back on the older server, simply trying to keep the logs was responsible for nearly all the downtime. So when push came to shove, we decided to make a business case for simply no longer logging any site at all.

I mean it seems rather silly to have to keep a second server around, just for processing logs for sites that are no longer updated, abandoned or whatever. The same issue with autokeen and it's successor... a lot of CPU and disk i/o are expensed at doing useless activity because of abandoned sites. Turning the updater off is easily done. But it's not possible to "optional" log certain sites without increasing the overhead over "logging all" sites. It's all or nothing.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Deckard Canine on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:01 pm

That works better. Thank you. Guess I should read CG news more often.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Whatupwidat on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Spaceprincess wrote:they stopped using. it was causing some problems and taking up too much server space.

I'm sure it would be if it wasn't harder to install than the CERN device.
Whatupwidat
Regular Poster

Postby HLHASKETT84 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:34 pm

I simply get my activation code to work. I put it in once to get it verified with the e-mail but have to put it in again and I don't know what to do. It just keeps up asking for the activation code.

Help?
HLHASKETT84

Postby Spaceprincess on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:32 pm

HLHASKETT84 wrote:I simply get my activation code to work. I put it in once to get it verified with the e-mail but have to put it in again and I don't know what to do. It just keeps up asking for the activation code.

Help?

what does it say at the top of the page after you hit verify? once you verify it should take a day or so to activate so nothing will happen right away.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby HLHASKETT84 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Spaceprincess wrote:what does it say at the top of the page after you hit verify? once you verify it should take a day or so to activate so nothing will happen right away.

Account E-Mail has been verified
Verify E-mail with code
Activation code (case sensitive):

That's it. Been two days and nothing.
HLHASKETT84

Postby Spaceprincess on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:15 pm

HLHASKETT84 wrote:
Spaceprincess wrote:what does it say at the top of the page after you hit verify? once you verify it should take a day or so to activate so nothing will happen right away.

Account E-Mail has been verified
Verify E-mail with code
Activation code (case sensitive):

That's it. Been two days and nothing.

sorry I forgot a step, it takes 7 days after you do the verification. then you should get an email telling you to set a password, its the same page as the verification page. then its a 24 wait till your page will be up. it takes some time but its worth the wait
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby HLHASKETT84 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:56 am

Spaceprincess wrote:
HLHASKETT84 wrote:
sorry I forgot a step, it takes 7 days after you do the verification. then you should get an email telling you to set a password, its the same page as the verification page. then its a 24 wait till your page will be up. it takes some time but its worth the wait

Oh. Okay! Thank you so much with your help. Kept thinking that I did something wrong! XD
HLHASKETT84

Postby zedwordcomic on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:07 pm

okay, i'm having the same problem as everyone else since 2009. after logging out and then logging in with uppercase (ZedwordComic instead of zedwordcomic) i still can't get through the siteadmin login. i log in with ZedwordComic (my forum login) and i use my forum password, but it tells me:

Forum Username Zedword not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)

Please see below for possible correct spellings:

Logout to try again (hit cancel)

so, what? i was hoping to get the answer from asking cause i'm too lazy to scroll through 3 years of forum posts looking for the answer. can ya help a poor computer illiterate new guy out?
zedwordcomic

Postby Risky on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:05 pm

zedwordcomic wrote:okay, i'm having the same problem as everyone else since 2009. after logging out and then logging in with uppercase (ZedwordComic instead of zedwordcomic) i still can't get through the siteadmin login. i log in with ZedwordComic (my forum login) and i use my forum password, but it tells me:

Forum Username Zedword not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)

Please see below for possible correct spellings:

Logout to try again (hit cancel)

so, what? i was hoping to get the answer from asking cause i'm too lazy to scroll through 3 years of forum posts looking for the answer. can ya help a poor computer illiterate new guy out?

Too lazy to figure out if you meant meant it says "Username ZedwordComic not valid". Did you hit cancel? After you log out, I suggest trying to open the site in a different window, that sometimes works for me. But you should also probably ask an admin to change your forum username so it Actually starts with a capital. Looking at your post, your username under "Author" looks lowercase to me. hth
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby zedwordcomic on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:58 pm

But you should also probably ask an admin to change your forum username so it Actually starts with a capital. Looking at your post, your username under "Author" looks lowercase to me. hth[/quote]

not to risk sounding like a total idiot, how do i ask an "admin" to change my username? i looked under changing your password in the wiki and i doesn't say. do i just resend the activation code or something?

also, i can get onto my page using my FTP client, but the changes i make aren't really making any changes (excpet for a few). it kinda hit or miss as far as what actually changes as far as the html code or which of the comics i posted go up. the file names are all right and they go in the right folder on my workspace. is this normal? i understand that my page has to queue against the other comics updating.

thanks for the help so far. i know new guys can be a pain. especially dumb ones!
zedwordcomic

Postby Risky on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:08 am

You could try Kisai, just scroll up a bit to one of her posts and click "PM" and ask to have your name capitalized. Changes to your website generally propagate after midnight, and which comics go up usually depends on whether their name has a date in the past or future. But that's really a different subject.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby MrGBH on Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 am

I'm trying to create my webcomic. I've created an FTP password and used the activation key, but for some reason it won't let me log in. So at the moment my comic is just blank.
MrGBH

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center