general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
User avatar
Julesville
Regular Poster
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Julesville »

There are like 5000 people in the update queue. The number has been around there since the site came back up. Does anyone know how slow they are updating, and has anyone's site been updated today and how long did it take.
Image
Now with smaller banners!

Blaze Series
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Here!
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Blaze Series »

I don't think they're updating while the server is down. I've been trying to update my HTML files since yesterday afternoon (my entire site is all coded and done, but it needs a full update to show up; for now the page looks all buggy and weird since I JUST joined. xD) but the number queue has just been climbing higher. It looks like it's stopped at 5408... (I've been watching it all daaay.)

I hope things get worked out soon... xD;

User avatar
Julesville
Regular Poster
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Julesville »

Blaze Series wrote:I don't think they're updating while the server is down. I've been trying to update my HTML files since yesterday afternoon (my entire site is all coded and done, but it needs a full update to show up; for now the page looks all buggy and weird since I JUST joined. xD) but the number queue has just been climbing higher. It looks like it's stopped at 5408... (I've been watching it all daaay.)

I hope things get worked out soon... xD;
Aww,man, are you just starting your comic, that sucks dude. To be ready to go and have a problem that seems to have no end.
Image
Now with smaller banners!

Pathen
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:17 am

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Pathen »

I'm in the same boat, or nearly. :/

I was planning on getting my first update out and going- but I've been waiting for the past three days to update. It looks like it's still stuck with the incorrect index page, too. At least now I know it's something with CG, and not my failing to understand how siteadmin works.
Image

User avatar
Nziz
Regular Poster
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:49 pm
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Nziz »

I was just going to add a comment box, which I've been anticipating for a *long* time, and nooooooo it doesn't load! Very frustrating. I hope it's fixed soon.
Image
Ninjas and werewolves and Templars, oh my!

User avatar
VinnieD
Regular Poster
Posts: 795
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by VinnieD »

It's been 3 days now since I tried to update. It looks like the regular midnight updates are adding to the queue constantly as well. Can I suggest just emptying the queue entirely? The current list of tasks must be impossible to accomplish at this point, and I'm willing to bet a lot of those update requests are redundant anyway.

User avatar
Julesville
Regular Poster
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Julesville »

I really wish the mods would comment on what's happening so far. They're probably insanly busy, but it's really frustrating just sitting here refreshing your website, hoping it'll be different, over and over and again. I can only do it for so many days!!!
Image
Now with smaller banners!

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

Well, this has happened before, and been worse. Just everyone hang in there. The powers that be do have day jobs and life in general to attend to so patience is pretty much all we can work with. Keep on keepin' on, working on your comic and making things better. Readers will be forgiving. It's frustrating, agreed. But it will work out in time. We'll get more info when it becomes available- I don't think the admins are being devious and naughty and keeping things all a secret, unless you're into conspiracy theories :lol: They know there's a problem, and when they can, they will fix it to the best of their abilities.
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by [geoduck] »

If you've got the time, one thing that helps placate readers is to make a barebones backup site somewhere else; I have one set up at webcomicsnaton.com. With daily updates, it becomes almost essential.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Julesville
Regular Poster
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Julesville »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Well, this has happened before, and been worse. Just everyone hang in there. The powers that be do have day jobs and life in general to attend to so patience is pretty much all we can work with. Keep on keepin' on, working on your comic and making things better. Readers will be forgiving. It's frustrating, agreed. But it will work out in time. We'll get more info when it becomes available- I don't think the admins are being devious and naughty and keeping things all a secret, unless you're into conspiracy theories :lol: They know there's a problem, and when they can, they will fix it to the best of their abilities.
Ok... I'll be good... :cry:
Image
Now with smaller banners!

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

Julesville wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Well, this has happened before, and been worse. Just everyone hang in there. The powers that be do have day jobs and life in general to attend to so patience is pretty much all we can work with. Keep on keepin' on, working on your comic and making things better. Readers will be forgiving. It's frustrating, agreed. But it will work out in time. We'll get more info when it becomes available- I don't think the admins are being devious and naughty and keeping things all a secret, unless you're into conspiracy theories :lol: They know there's a problem, and when they can, they will fix it to the best of their abilities.
Ok... I'll be good... :cry:
*gives a reassuring piece of chocolate cake*
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

Xwhy
Regular Poster
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:55 am

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Xwhy »

[geoduck] wrote:If you've got the time, one thing that helps placate readers is to make a barebones backup site somewhere else; I have one set up at webcomicsnaton.com. With daily updates, it becomes almost essential.
Most of my comics also appear at a backup blog site -- but I can't update the page to alert readers to that fact. And the ones using Google Reader for their RSS feed aren't going to know about it. sigh. Almost wish I'd set up a twitter account just for times like this. (No point in doing that really -- I only have a handful of daily readers)
Image

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by [geoduck] »

Xwhy wrote: Most of my comics also appear at a backup blog site -- but I can't update the page to alert readers to that fact. And the ones using Google Reader for their RSS feed aren't going to know about it. sigh. Almost wish I'd set up a twitter account just for times like this. (No point in doing that really -- I only have a handful of daily readers)
Install a shoutbox. It will still work even though the rest of the site is frozen, and you can at least post updates.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

RobertBlake
Regular Poster
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by RobertBlake »

[geoduck] wrote:If you've got the time, one thing that helps placate readers is to make a barebones backup site somewhere else; I have one set up at webcomicsnaton.com. With daily updates, it becomes almost essential.
During server outages, I just post the comics on my blog.

User avatar
Julesville
Regular Poster
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Julesville »

[geoduck] wrote:
Xwhy wrote: Most of my comics also appear at a backup blog site -- but I can't update the page to alert readers to that fact. And the ones using Google Reader for their RSS feed aren't going to know about it. sigh. Almost wish I'd set up a twitter account just for times like this. (No point in doing that really -- I only have a handful of daily readers)
Install a shoutbox. It will still work even though the rest of the site is frozen, and you can at least post updates.
Or a haloscan comment box! But how does one edit their html code when the autoupdate is so backed up?
Image
Now with smaller banners!

MoonFreight3
Regular Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by MoonFreight3 »

I have comics uploaded through next week. In the event that the issue isn't fixed by the end of today (since today is the first day one of my comics hasn't uploaded), will I have to go back after the problem is fixed and upload all the comics for days it missed? Will I have to re-upload my comics with new dates? Or will it upload everything and just back-fill the older ones to the archives and post whatever is the most recent comic on the front page?
Image

RobertBlake
Regular Poster
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by RobertBlake »

MoonFreight3 wrote:I have comics uploaded through next week. In the event that the issue isn't fixed by the end of today (since today is the first day one of my comics hasn't uploaded), will I have to go back after the problem is fixed and upload all the comics for days it missed? Will I have to re-upload my comics with new dates? Or will it upload everything and just back-fill the older ones to the archives and post whatever is the most recent comic on the front page?
All your uploaded files should still be there, and will update like normal once able.

MoonFreight3
Regular Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by MoonFreight3 »

And all the stuff that was supposed to go up during the outage but didn't will also go up? They'll be in the archives? I won't have to load those manually? Not just the stuff that's been on the site since the beginning?

Sorry if I keep repeating things, but I've never had to deal with a situation like this before, and I want to be thorough and make sure I have as much information as possible for when things get back to normal.
Image

RobertBlake
Regular Poster
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by RobertBlake »

MoonFreight3 wrote:And all the stuff that was supposed to go up during the outage but didn't will also go up? They'll be in the archives? I won't have to load those manually? Not just the stuff that's been on the site since the beginning?
They should. They'll be in the archives if they do. You shouldn't have to load anything manually. Once we get over this little snag, AutoKeen should update everything you've uploaded like normal.
Sorry if I keep repeating things, but I've never had to deal with a situation like this before, and I want to be thorough and make sure I have as much information as possible for when things get back to normal.
Not a problem. The first time it happened to me way back in the day I had many of the same worries.

Jupe
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status

Post by Jupe »

So....And I ask this only because I'm technologically inept...Since the count on the upload site is up to 6900, all it's gonna take now is some time for uploads to finish, and everything should be back to normal?

Post Reply