The Best You've Ever Done!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Dr Legostar »

Bustertheclown wrote:
Dr Legostar wrote:I've been steadily improving my photography and adding better effects, not sure if I have something I'd consider my best ever though. I do consider my best joke ever something I did for the Keenreality jam a long time ago though. Sadly it's too much of an in joke to be funny to people not informed to the avatars.
How the heck has an in-joke stopped anybody from posting anything around these parts? Let loose with it!
very well then

Image
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Bustertheclown »

I don't get it. Who are those people?! :wink:

Actually, you're right, it's a funny joke, and it made me laugh.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Dr Legostar »

Bustertheclown wrote:I don't get it. Who are those people?! :wink:
<Col. Klink> BUUUUUUUSTTER! </Col. Klink>
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Orinocou
Regular Poster
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Beautiful, flat Illinois
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Orinocou »

This is a neat thread. I'm enjoying looking at everyone's best work.

For me, my best work is probably page 71 here. It was like three weeks late because of the first panel. Now, when I look at it, I see it's got too many colors. The best part of it, though, is the Edgar in the last panel. I used a reference for his head and I'm pleased with it.
If you want to see it:
http://ff6comic.comicgenesis.com/d/20081013.html

User avatar
MattRo
Regular Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:52 am

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by MattRo »

Wow. After looking at all the work here I don't even want to post my stuff.
Image

User avatar
Redtech
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:15 am
Location: 'Terror central' London
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Redtech »

MattRo wrote:Wow. After looking at all the work here I don't even want to post my stuff.
After looking at Pimpette, I think I went blind, personally.

Oh wait, bloodflow problems. :lol:
Sometimes the failed experiments are the ones that don't try to kill you
Image

Maker
Regular Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:01 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Maker »

The best I've done is rather word heavy. In fact it's 4 771 words and five pictures, plus one picture that's a picture of a word. If that floats your boat, here you go. If not, well, you'll just have to avoid clicking. But take notice, my best is really very good, and you don't know what you're missing.

I see some pretty great artwork in this thread by the way. I'll have to look more closely.
"I’m not asking you to accept everyone and everything the same, I’m not defending the rights of KKK or anything. I’m asking if you can accept the possibility, the idea, of any one ideology or belief system or faith or doctrine or lifestyle that may be just as good as yours. I want you to look at the world in all its splendor and glory, absorb its millions of cultures, imagine that you know and love every single living person, and ask yourself, really ask yourself - don’t cheat and look to anyone or anything for answers, but figure this one thing out all by yourself:

"Do you really think you’re better than everyone else?"

User avatar
Metruis
Regular Poster
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Metruis »

Maker wrote:The best I've done is rather word heavy. In fact it's 4 771 words and five pictures, plus one picture that's a picture of a word. If that floats your boat, here you go. If not, well, you'll just have to avoid clicking. But take notice, my best is really very good, and you don't know what you're missing.

I see some pretty great artwork in this thread by the way. I'll have to look more closely.
Uh, I actually agree, that is really good. It's probably the best use of present tense literature that I've seen so far...

As for MY best... uhm...

I have certain biases, but I believe that this is the best painting I ever completed, simply because it was done entirely with a mouse in Paint Shop Pro on my 98 computer in bits and pieces because the lag was too extensive to work largescale. http://calthyechild.deviantart.com/art/ ... i-84770770

Of course, I have that bias due to the hours of work put into it and the wrist pain. Likewise, I believe my best piece of writing was also a fanfiction. (facepalm) Neither of which I can actually EVER SELL.

As for my comic...

I admit I'm very torn on this case. Obviously I think the page I'm painting right NOW is one of my best pieces of work, as I tend to love most the works in progress. I quite hate my own work but I believe some of my best paintings have come out of my comic. As shown by my choices of advertising graphics, I have a personal preference for a couple portaits that came out of my comic. So there's no way I can definately say for certain...

I believe, though, that this is the best page, according to my READERS. I got such a response from the floor. I could make a fanclub for that floor alone. http://betweenplaces.comicgenesis.com/d/20081030.html

However, as for me? I can't chose one page alone, so here's one from the repainted chapter one and one from chapter three, and these are my personal favorite pages.
20080622.jpg
20080622.jpg (199.89 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
And I'm gonna link to this page because it does contain blood and violence. http://betweenplaces.comicgenesis.com/d/20081211.html

I don't think they're the BEST. Their art isn't the BEST panels I've done. But they stood out in my mind. :) There's a few others but this isn't 'your five best'... snrk.
Image

Maker
Regular Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:01 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Maker »

Thank you. Though I don't know if it makes particularly good use of the present tense, almost everything I write is the same tense so maybe I'm blind to it.

And, that is a kickass floor. :)
"I’m not asking you to accept everyone and everything the same, I’m not defending the rights of KKK or anything. I’m asking if you can accept the possibility, the idea, of any one ideology or belief system or faith or doctrine or lifestyle that may be just as good as yours. I want you to look at the world in all its splendor and glory, absorb its millions of cultures, imagine that you know and love every single living person, and ask yourself, really ask yourself - don’t cheat and look to anyone or anything for answers, but figure this one thing out all by yourself:

"Do you really think you’re better than everyone else?"

User avatar
MattRo
Regular Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:52 am

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by MattRo »

Redtech wrote:
MattRo wrote:Wow. After looking at all the work here I don't even want to post my stuff.
After looking at Pimpette, I think I went blind, personally.

Oh wait, bloodflow problems. :lol:
That will happen.
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by McDuffies »

I must not be the only person who gets a really unpleasant association from banner in MattRo's signature.

User avatar
Heart
Regular Poster
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:45 pm
Location: under the floorboards.

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Heart »

McDuffies wrote:I must not be the only person who gets a really unpleasant association from banner in MattRo's signature.
I f you're referring to the "turd on a lawn" banner, I ad-blocked it weeks ago.

User avatar
Metruis
Regular Poster
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Metruis »

Maker wrote:Thank you. Though I don't know if it makes particularly good use of the present tense, almost everything I write is the same tense so maybe I'm blind to it.

And, that is a kickass floor. :)
The plot and characters don't matter because on one page, THERE IS A REALLY HAWT FLOOR.

I'm going to have to make a fanclub just for that panel. (dies)

I write a bit in present tense. It's hard to get right and frequently annoying to read (when done wrong), it only works right for certain types of scenes and it worked quite well here. :)
Image

User avatar
MattRo
Regular Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:52 am

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by MattRo »

Ok so, apparently the worm hole I drew next to the words "worm hole" didn't turn out to look like a hole to anybody else. This is why I didn't show my work on a thread talking about best work lol.

A simple "take it down" would've sufficed, but uh...

Continue on. Thanks for interupting the conversation to point out my piece of shit lmfao. I couldn't pass it up.

Seriously though, I noticed a lot of other people posting banners to their work in their signatures so I thought it was cool to do, but I'll take it down.
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by McDuffies »

I wasn't complaining about your banner or asking you to take it down. I just noticed similarity and thought it was funny.

User avatar
Redtech
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:15 am
Location: 'Terror central' London
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Redtech »

MattRo wrote: Seriously though, I noticed a lot of other people posting banners to their work in their signatures so I thought it was cool to do, but I'll take it down.
It's a given on a webcomics forum. Keeps lurkers interested in what you do at least. I guess your sig was a bit on the "wtf" side. Don't feel too bad, I ended up with my sig screwing up and becoming something like 700px x 700px in firefox!
Sometimes the failed experiments are the ones that don't try to kill you
Image

User avatar
MattRo
Regular Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:52 am

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by MattRo »

Is that better? Simpe, no misconceptions, straight and to the point.
Image

User avatar
Fishies
Regular Poster
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:19 pm
Location: canada
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Fishies »

Mattias wrote:This is an interesting thread! I want to see more. :) I love those pages by Warofwinds - very atmospheric!

In general, I like the silent parts of the comic.
I always find silent pages more fun to draw. Dunno why.

Letsee I liked this scene which was the climax of the 'wtf is going on oh shit the pov character is tripping' chapter:
Image
Image
Tea luvs his mommy!

Also the current chapter's opener because the first part was fun to draw:

Image
Image

User avatar
Gaisen-sama
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:25 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Gaisen-sama »

Sweetness! I want in!

First of all, hello good sirs... and ladies. I hope you're all in tip-top shape because I'm about to show you the best work in my comic. It was hard to choose the best two pages for I have ...quite too many.

Here's my pick for Best Page:
Image

Yes, quite scary. But the dude's ticked off and he's about to kick some demon butt. Now why do I think this is the best page? First because it's a full-page of the main character's portrait with an awesomely detailed expression... lol, he almost looks like he's forcing a smile for the camera. I also like the cross-hatching I did on his clothes as a failed attempt at emulating texture.

2nd Best Page:
Image

I believe this is the first time I've ever used those big blocks of black as dramatic shading (I think that's what it's called). I think I should do it more often... but then again, if I did the comic would loose its consistency. So the reason why I picked it is because it demonstrates my knowledge of and ability to use different kinds of light/shadow illustration.
Image

User avatar
Wendybird
Regular Poster
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:35 am
Location: PA

Re: The Best You've Ever Done!

Post by Wendybird »

OK, now that Monday's page is up, I can reveal it here:
20090112.jpg
20090112.jpg (117.62 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Mainly I loved doing the shading (or, what's the opposite of shading? Highlighting?). I also liked the script, and apparently I was inspired to do some wacky things with the panel borders.

Since I've usually got a huge buffer and I'm still improving fairly rapidly, my best work is always in the buffer, but now that my buffer's a bit shorter, this is still standing out now that it's public.

Post Reply