HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:15 pm

1 - what are you uploading? I assume jpg's made with photoshop or something. CG supports jpg, gif and png. bmp are not supported.

2 - where are you uploading the to? You should put them in the workspace/comics folder. Note that there is also a comics folder in the public_html side but if you put them in there they won't show up.

3 - what are you naming the files? CG uses the YYYYMMDD.ext format, where Y = year, M = month, D = day and ext = extension. So a jpg for Christmas last year would be named 20071225.jpg (and if you want more than one on a single day, you'd add a b c etc after the date).
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Unexcessive on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Okay, so I signed up, got the e-mail, and entered the verification code on the 13th. My entry (Unwritten) is definitely on the samples list. But it's been there for 12 days, and the list doesn't seem to have shrunk at all the past couple of days. End, page up, fourth entry from the bottom, end, page up, fourth entry from the bottom. The older applications on the bottom seem to be staying there, and the top just keeps piling on more aspiring comics. So I'm getting kind of anxious. Is it normal to wait this amount of time, did I do something wrong, or is it just that are the admins that are in charge of this on break or something? ^^; Just wondering.
Unexcessive

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:24 am

Normally it's seven days, but if you can see the list has stalled then there might be a hiccup on the server.

Just sit tight a bit longer. I'll advise the admins and they'll have a look at the server. If your application is in the system, then you shouldn't need to re-apply. There might just be a slight delay.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Unexcessive on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:03 pm

Ah, okay. Thank you for the help.
Unexcessive

Postby Unexcessive on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Sorry for complaining again (and double-posting at that >_<), but it HAS been nearly a week now since I posted in this thread, and two and a half weeks since I sent in my entry. The sign up samples list still hasn't moved down, and I've seen at least two comics now re-apply. I won't ask "how much longer?" since this is essentially a free service, but is it possible for me to get an explanation of some sort? A word from the admins? Something?
Unexcessive

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:35 pm

Apologies for not replying sooner.

I have contacted Kisai and STrRedWolf (the admins). Kisai responded but is unable to assist. Currently waiting on STrRedWolf to hear what is going on with the server...
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Samurai 5713 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:06 am

Ok, I know you will probably find this question annoying, but I'm such a newbie at this and I just want to be reasured (I've read all the FAQ threads and can't seem to find quite the right answer). I applied for my account on Comic Genesis, got the email to varify it and that was fine. Then I got the email to say my account was ready and that I needed to create an FTP password. I filled out the form and it said it had sent the email with the activation code, but that was about 2 days ago and the FAQs said the email should arrive instantly/within a few hours. Should I wait or just create the password again?
Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find it
Samurai 5713

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:28 am

That's odd. Yes, it ought to have arrived "instantaneously" (or as close as these things get with teh interwebs).

There's nothing wrong with you getting a new password as the old one will still be in effect when until you activate the new password. (When you get the email with your new password, it will have a "click this link" in order to activate it - or a "copy this text", I forget which of the two CG uses).

It might be a case of slow email servers. Also, check your junk mail folder - though if you got the first couple, the next one should show up without any drama...
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Trackstar on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 am

hi, I am trying to activate my comic. I have gotten the e-mail verification code but not the Activation code. Will it come at a later date, or am i just not finding it? Thanks for the help.

Ty Manteuffel
The Trackstar
mangey.pirate@gmail.com
Trackstar

Postby Samurai 5713 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:07 pm

Thank you for the help. I did check my junk folder and it's not in there, and I still haven't got the email. I think I will try to create a new one and hope it works this time. Thanks again.
Samurai 5713

Postby Aceman on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:55 pm

I got the code verification e-mail shortly after submitting my request and entered it like... last Monday or so... and yeah it said that it'd be sometime *after* a week that I'd get my password... should I just hush hush and wait another week+ for it?
Aceman

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:53 am

I'm getting conflicting reports, but there appears to be something not quite right with the registration system. The proper procedure is this:
  1. A new user fills in the "Join Us" form and clicks "submit".
  2. The user receives a "please confirm" email in their inbox.
  3. The user confirms that they want an account and are told to wait 7 days.
  4. The user waits seven days.
  5. The user gets another email congratulating them, providing some basic information and instructing them to obtain an FTP password.
  6. The user gets their FTP password, logs into their account, uploads their comic(s) and all is right with the world...
Currently, there have been reports that it stops working after step 4, others say it stops working just before Step 6.

Please advise how far you are getting (that is aimed at all users experienceing difficulty.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Aceman on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:58 am

Well, I guess I'm at Step 4 then. It's been more than 7 days at this point, I think.
Aceman

Postby Unexcessive on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:31 pm

I'm at step 4 too.
Unexcessive

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:21 am

Hmm... :eyebrow:

*goes to kick the server*
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Stealnight on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi,

I signed up a while back. It has been 9 days now since I did the [stealnight] ComicGenesis Account Creation Verification on
August 27, 2008.

You will NOT receive your password untill at least 7 days have passed.
DNS takes 24-72 hours to propagate, this is beyond comicgenesis.com 's control

I am basically at the process of step 4, and can't proceed from there.
Stealnight

Postby Hainted on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:48 am

Stuck at step 4 since August 22.Not that big a deal since I still post strips on Deviant Art but still...
Hainted

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:13 pm

If you are stuck on Step 4 (no email) then post in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85702

so that STrRedWolf knows who you are and how big the problem is!
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ruthborn on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Sorry to add on to the pile of troubles you seem to be having but I don't recall receiving a email after lodging the application. Which is odd since the email I used was the same email I offered for the forums and I have received the activation email for the forums. Possible problems at Step 2.
Perhaps I should resubmit but I am unsure what would happen when I enter the same username, comic title, etc as the previous application.
Ruthborn

Postby Smurfle on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:43 pm

I just wanted to post a big thankyou to this thread!!!
managed to get through the whole signup process virtually unharmed :D
thanks again!
-If a rock could talk,does it have to sound stoned?-
-When life gives you lemons,its tequila time!-

Ant & the Man
Smurfle

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center