GHAAAAAAARRR!!!

The offical message board of The Forsaken webcomic; a place to discuss all things Interactual.

GHAAAAAAARRR!!!

Postby Jameslong on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:39 pm

Yes, Comicgenesis is down again. After being down intermittently last week, and pretty mucy all of Saturday. Now my update day is a no go.

For anyone reading, I'm really sorry (and embarassed). "Rediculous" is a weak word. I really wish the folks at the top of the CG foodchain would either shit or get off the pot. Pardon my french.
The Forsaken - Updating Mondays. Mostly.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:31 pm

See, SEE!! Your Turning Canadian, Today French, Tomorrow Citizenship!

Good job on the recent update, I kept checking throughout the weekend and today to see what was up, but alas, the site was in mating season.
Arg! Me Name Be Adam... ARRRG!!
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:59 am

if you ever tried "poutine" you'd turn canadian, too. It's french fries with gravy and cheese curds. Ugh, it's a heart attack on a plate but e-gad is it delicious.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:25 am

and we're down again...
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:10 am

LOL. Ive probably gained 8 pounds since my wifes pregnancy. I think Ill skip the curds and turds for the day, ;0)
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jntlong on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:49 pm

Good, good.....I like the build up. You will soon be the next Jack Kirby-Dale Keown and Stan Lee all rolled into one....with latent Jim Lee tendencies! Really though, I'm proud of you!!~ Your brother....
Jntlong

Postby Arcnaver on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:58 pm

James's brother, John?? Jon?

You have a brother named John right James?
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm

that's my brudder!

(you don't think you're the only one allowed to have a brother john, do you?)
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:33 pm

I was going to call you a copy cat, but then I realized...
Your older then me...

But Im still cuter...
In a non gay type of way...
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:17 am

LOL

You know, I was just about to post one of those "arcnaver is A-gal-darn-dorable" threads.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:52 am

LOL
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:15 pm

... down again...
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Cojoinedcows on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:09 am

Should I just NOT comment the obvious?
Down again on update day... :(
<a href="http://cojoinedcows.coolix.com/">Join the Cojoined Cows in their adventures!</a>
Cojoinedcows

Postby Arcnaver on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:30 am

Go ahead and just send it to me James... :lol: I dont mind.
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:02 am

Went down about 1830 MST, made catching up on archived comics in my "too Read" bookmark difficult. About 60 bookmarks and the majority are on comic gen. At least your comics are making it onto the computer.
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

...if anyone cares...

Postby Jameslong on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Here's the downlow directly from Kisai... she sorta runs things. Or, at least, she's the highest up the ladder that will actually talk to us.

Kisai wrote:
The situation could best be described with duck hunt.

Shoot one duck, it goes down, but another comes up, sometimes two of em.

Here's the basic story for those tuning in thus far:
Every 4:55am some mystery borks the database
this starts a chain reaction of killing siteadmin, ftp, and finally the webserver due to a race condition.
Hard reseting the mysql server, kills the update queue, so that then needs to be manually investigated, and it looks like autokeen is now partly to blame as it seems to be responsible for the 6.0 processor load.

Common sense would say rollback to what we were running mid-may, problem is that it doesn't work that way. It was trying to update the server to resolve bugs and security issues that sent us down this stupid path of fixing one bug only to have two more show up, and it all seems to point to possible bugs introduced in mySQL or one of the underlying libraries, or things changed that I wrote without my knowledge

Threaded servers are EXTREMELY finicky. But we don't have the money to throw a new server up every 1000 users, It's just not plausable. Where google and eBay just throw more hardware at it, we've had ONE server the entire bloody time which I'd say is pretty good, but we could have had a half million or so users by now had we been given new hardware when we asked for it, etc. Instead signup delays were implemented (replacing the "once every few month batch run that everyone forgets about) instead of straigtup creation, even though the means to do it exists (wildcard DNS + dynamic site creation), the available performance has not been available.

But also, keep in mind that CG/KS hasn't sold out as much as the likes of myspace, youtube, photobucket, deviant art, and various other "free" services that choke your screen with ads. Use the forums, it takes less than one second to load the entire page. Try that with most other "free" services. Like you have to wait several seconds, sometimes an entire minute for the entire page to load.

If we had been selling out more, maybe we would have more hardware, but at the expense of the community. I know people can host their own damn sites for 8$ a month elsewhere. So why doesn't everyone?

-Administration
-Cost
-No Community
-No ability to 'leave it and forget it'
-No credit card! (Many CG users are also minors or in college/university and can't afford to pay for decent food.)
-Automation

I could go on and on.

The point is that I'm not paid, Kelly's not paid, we haven't had a new server in ages (not since the last time the server went down and didn't come back, anyone remember schlock & YDK?)

Pretty much everything short of the actual autokeen updater and open source stuff. I wrote. PHPBB, and Wikimedia that runs on the forum server are modified somewhat from their stock configuration, the forums more so. The AutoKeen Updater was wrote originally by Nate and there are lots of legacy bits that I changed to be xhtml compliant and such in there, but I really want to rewrite it, and instead let Kelly take a shot at rewriting it instead. My specialty is really more reverse engineering and optimization, not building from scratch, as I overbuild things. There are empty tables in the DB from things I wanted to do with the Guide that I decided the wiki would do better. The Guide itself is not depreciated, but it's not community editable, which makes it harder to find related comics. The Guide I could compare to a card catalog or Yahoo circa 1999 before google was hot.

It works, but wiki's are a better idea. Plus anything that removes administration is a bonus. The community can edit the wiki and keep it updated, unlike many authors who never update their listing past the initial signup.

So if the server is down, stop bitching and go edit the wiki or something.

As far as I'm concerned, I fixed everything, but inevitably I'm going to wake up a 6pm and it'll be down or I goto work and come back at 9am and it will be down...

(Only days that Kelly doesn't log into it it seems to stay up, so I'm more inclined to think that maybe it's something being run manually. 4:55AM corresponds with 8AM Eastern time.)
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Cojoinedcows on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:34 pm

Well, thy've got their reasons and explanations...
I say get your own server. They aren't too expensive if you don't need to much traffic. Then get some ads on it, put a donation button on the site, and the server should pay itself.
<a href="http://cojoinedcows.coolix.com/">Join the Cojoined Cows in their adventures!</a>
Cojoinedcows

Postby Jameslong on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:11 am

the main problem is i'm not working right now. every dollar counts for us, so we have to stretch things to make due. Hopefully by October I'll be working again and I can afford more frivolous stuff. :)
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:29 am

I thought you "arTISTs" knew how to live off the land? And werent subject to such Earthly seductions... :P

Sounds like they are Whining about their problems just as much as everyone else is. "Dont Whine about our broken servers, thats my job...poor me." ;0)

At least they give you a free parking spot for your comic and exposure. Getting your own server would be great, however, exposure would be lessened I think.
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:28 am

arcnaver wrote:At least they give you a free parking spot for your comic and exposure. Getting your own server would be great, however, exposure would be lessened I think.

Agreed, sounds like several tests need to be done to determine the root cause, but that costs time currently spent repairing the damage and upgrading the system. I imagine it as build a device that will prevent a problem when it's working but as long as there is a problem the device will not run.
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Forsaken, The