Church burnings

Postby ChronicMisadventures on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:36 pm

NydaLynn wrote:Hop? Hmm... now see I would have interpreted that as 'proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' to quote Ben Franklin about beer. But that's just me. ;)


*snickers* Good one
"They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave." --Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
ChronicMisadventures
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:40 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:16 pm

NydaLynn wrote:Hop? Hmm... now see I would have interpreted that as 'proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' to quote Ben Franklin about beer. But that's just me. ;)


I like fermented grape juice, he whined.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Postby Earl McClaw on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:02 pm

The JAM wrote:
sapphire wrote:reduces the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission by approximately 85%

Oh dear, that means that 3 times out of 20......you're done for?
I wouldn't call that "safe sex", I'd call that suicidal sex....

Um... Sapphire refers to it as a reduction of transmission. So it seems to me we'd need the unprotected transmission rate to calculate a realistic risk rate.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
User avatar
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:15 am

Postby BrockthePaine on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:52 pm

Hortmage wrote:Brock:

Thank you VERY much for that clear outline of the definition of a Christian. I appreciate the bullet format, which makes it much easier for me understand.

I have saved that post for future study. Thanks again!

Glad I could be of assistance. If you have any more questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby The JAM on Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:25 pm

Well, I just want to know: is current latex (you know, what condoms are made of) 100% impermeable to the HIV?
User avatar
The JAM
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Mexico...

Postby Wanderwolf on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:08 am

The JAM wrote:
sapphire wrote:reduces the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission by approximately 85%

Oh dear, that means that 3 times out of 20......you're done for?
I wouldn't call that "safe sex", I'd call that suicidal sex....


Er, J.A.M.? Math error. The original number is reduced by 85%, but that number was not 100.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
User avatar
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Forney, TX, U.S.A.

Postby Deckard Canine on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:26 am

Schools, including highly liberal ones like my college, have gotten more likely to say "safer sex" to remind us that it's not 100% safe.

And CM, I'm afraid you were still unsound in addressing HM's point on alcohol sales. He does not object to a day banning them, but when that day is based on one faith's sabbath and other sabbaths get no such treatment, he deems it unfair. I think he has a point, altho if they chose Sunday arbitrarily, he wouldn't really. And speaking of drinks...

Squeaky Bunny wrote:I like fermented grape juice, he whined.


"Ooh, no more fruit juice for me," he said dolefully.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:21 am
Location: DC

Postby TMLutas on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:12 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:Schools, including highly liberal ones like my college, have gotten more likely to say "safer sex" to remind us that it's not 100% safe.

And CM, I'm afraid you were still unsound in addressing HM's point on alcohol sales. He does not object to a day banning them, but when that day is based on one faith's sabbath and other sabbaths get no such treatment, he deems it unfair. I think he has a point, altho if they chose Sunday arbitrarily, he wouldn't really.


Well, one has to pick a day of rest, otherwise you end up like the French with their revolutionary calendar, a disaster of collapse and death from exhaustion. If you're going to pick a day, it might as well be on the majority's sabbath. This is neither arbitrary, nor unfair. It is pure utilitarianism and not particularly immoral in this case.
TMLutas
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Postby Sapphire on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:55 pm

TMLutas wrote:
Deckard Canine wrote:Schools, including highly liberal ones like my college, have gotten more likely to say "safer sex" to remind us that it's not 100% safe.

And CM, I'm afraid you were still unsound in addressing HM's point on alcohol sales. He does not object to a day banning them, but when that day is based on one faith's sabbath and other sabbaths get no such treatment, he deems it unfair. I think he has a point, altho if they chose Sunday arbitrarily, he wouldn't really.


Well, one has to pick a day of rest, otherwise you end up like the French with their revolutionary calendar, a disaster of collapse and death from exhaustion. If you're going to pick a day, it might as well be on the majority's sabbath. This is neither arbitrary, nor unfair. It is pure utilitarianism and not particularly immoral in this case.


Check that, The French Republican Calendar was abandoned mostly due to the 10-day work week, not because you "have to have a day of rest." Think about how many major corporations, and how many Americans they employ, ignore the day of rest. You'd actually be hard-pressed to name national name brands that aren't open on sundays.
I would have hoped to say something meaninful, or possible inciteful. But, alas.
How goes the world today? From right to left or left to right? Perhaps it runs round mad reels, turning in on itself only at long last to blow away with the leaves and gutter-trash.
How goes the world today? Top to Bottom or Bottom to Top? Perhaps it will rise high enough so that it may see the back of its own head, in a maddening tunnel of infinity.
How goes the world today? Clockwise or Counter? Perhaps it will spin itself mad, curling a spring-from into endlessness.
Or maybe, today, it will just stop.
User avatar
Sapphire
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:15 pm
Location: Louisville, Kentucky

Postby BrockthePaine on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:07 pm

sapphire wrote:Check that, The French Republican Calendar was abandoned mostly due to the 10-day work week, not because you "have to have a day of rest." Think about how many major corporations, and how many Americans they employ, ignore the day of rest. You'd actually be hard-pressed to name national name brands that aren't open on sundays.

As opposed to the current French calender, where they push for three days of rest out of seven...

And Chik-Fil-A wasn't open for a long time on Sundays, though they might have changed that recently. Oooh, chicken... mmm.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Frigidmagi on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:40 pm

How sad is it that I was thinking that condoms do a better job of protection from death then the old flak jacket upon reading this.
Frigidmagi
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:23 am

Postby The JAM on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:13 pm

[...unWARP!!!]

Good evening.

Wanderwolf wrote:
The JAM wrote:Oh dear, that means that 3 times out of 20......you're done for?
I wouldn't call that "safe sex", I'd call that suicidal sex....


Er, J.A.M.? Math error. The original number is reduced by 85%, but that number was not 100.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer


[scratches head] Odd, I thought I was emplying simple 6th grade math.

The original number may not be 100, but I chose 100 simply because of the perCENT symbol and thus the other 15% would proportionally reduce to 3/20..........oh alright, all I'll say is that if it's 85% safe, that means it's 15% UNsafe.

Anyone want to bet their lives with those probabilities?


¡Zacatepóngolas!

Until next time, remember:

I

AM

THE

J.A.M. (a.k.a. Numbuh i. "Just because I'm imaginary doesn't mean I don't exist")

Good evening.

[WARP!!!]
User avatar
The JAM
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Mexico...

Postby BrockthePaine on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:47 pm

I believe what he meant was that it reduces the chances of HIV infection by 85%. So, if we say that 50% of the time you'd become infected, it is now 85% of 50%, or 7.5% chance. (FWIW I use 50% chance as an example because it's easy to calculate and I don't know the actual rate.)
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:43 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:Schools, including highly liberal ones like my college, have gotten more likely to say "safer sex" to remind us that it's not 100% safe.

And CM, I'm afraid you were still unsound in addressing HM's point on alcohol sales. He does not object to a day banning them, but when that day is based on one faith's sabbath and other sabbaths get no such treatment, he deems it unfair. I think he has a point, altho if they chose Sunday arbitrarily, he wouldn't really. And speaking of drinks...

Squeaky Bunny wrote:I like fermented grape juice, he whined.


"Ooh, no more fruit juice for me," he said dolefully.


I could make nine puns about milk, but I lactate.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Postby The JAM on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Duly noted. Thanks.
User avatar
The JAM
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Mexico...

Postby TMLutas on Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:52 pm

sapphire wrote:
TMLutas wrote:
Deckard Canine wrote:Schools, including highly liberal ones like my college, have gotten more likely to say "safer sex" to remind us that it's not 100% safe.

And CM, I'm afraid you were still unsound in addressing HM's point on alcohol sales. He does not object to a day banning them, but when that day is based on one faith's sabbath and other sabbaths get no such treatment, he deems it unfair. I think he has a point, altho if they chose Sunday arbitrarily, he wouldn't really.


Well, one has to pick a day of rest, otherwise you end up like the French with their revolutionary calendar, a disaster of collapse and death from exhaustion. If you're going to pick a day, it might as well be on the majority's sabbath. This is neither arbitrary, nor unfair. It is pure utilitarianism and not particularly immoral in this case.


Check that, The French Republican Calendar was abandoned mostly due to the 10-day work week, not because you "have to have a day of rest." Think about how many major corporations, and how many Americans they employ, ignore the day of rest. You'd actually be hard-pressed to name national name brands that aren't open on sundays.


I think you're quite missing the point. Somebody's got to tend the sick and do other work that just won't wait. Sabbath workers just tend to get their day off on another day and get paid more for breaking sabbath. The rest still occurs and people get rotated in and out of it because it's generally recognized as a hardship.

That some companies (and not all of them do) work 7 days a week on a voluntary basis doesn't change the fact that having a day of rest is a good idea as far as public policy goes and putting it where the majority would like it is not bad either.
TMLutas
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Postby MikeVanPelt on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:16 am



No one disputes that condoms provide some protection. The numbers you give are in line with what I figured the case was.

The problem I, and many other, have is that when you're talking about an incurable, invariably fatal disease, even though you can generally stave off death for quite a few years with a lot of expensive medication, 85% protection is not anywhere in the area of good enough.

When people toss fistfulls of condoms at teenagers and say "Here, use this and you can screw your brains out in perfect safety", they are lying. Yes, with a condom, it's less unsafe. That is not the same thing as safe.

Similarly, people say that amusing contact explosive nitrogen triiodide is stable when it is wet. It is not. It is more stable when wet than it is when it is dry, but it is most assuredly not stable when wet. I have personal experience with some of it going off in the bottom of the paper towel I was filtering it through in the men's bathroom of my dorm at school, blowing the bottom out of the paper towel and splattering me from head to foot in the stuff. And later that night, I witnessed some going off in the bottom of a bottle of water I was storing it in.
User avatar
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:07 pm

Postby RHJunior on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:06 am

..... dude. You frighten me. seriously.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: WV

Postby Tbolt on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:21 am

As far as the entire condom thing is also concerned, with condoms being pushed as well as the entire concept of "safe sex" ie encourages people to engage in dangerous behavior more often.

Yes a condom reduces the probability of disease, but if one increases the number of chances taken...

Example: Let's play Russian Roulette

In one paw I have a 5 shot revolver with one bullet in it, you need but pull the trigger once.

On the table here, I have ten, ten shot revolvers with ten bullets spread randomly among them. You must pull the trigger on each of them once.


Bottom line, if one as a virgin, marries a virgin, and both parties maintain that monogamous pact one can happily yiff the rest of one's life and be almost certain of never having to worry about any STD's, period! ( the only other real ways of getting an STD are through sharing needles as an IV drug user, or receiving tainted blood. Or one might have been unfortunate enough to inherit the disease from one's parents)

That is safe sex.
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
User avatar
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:47 pm
Location: Pa, The 'Burgh

Postby The JAM on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:17 am

Well said, Tbolt! It also makes you a much better candidate for donating blood (I've donated 5 times already), and the recipients are much more inclined to trust you.
User avatar
The JAM
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Mexico...

PreviousNext

 

Return to Nip and Tuck



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron