There be goblins here...

There be goblins here...

Postby Jaydub on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:20 pm

As Scotty would say. "There be goblins here". I guess this make sense for Goblin Hollow. I wonder what else may be changing. :o
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby BlasTech on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:38 pm

soo ... much ... green Oo
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a small tower on the southern side of the college

Postby Ransom Returns on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:43 pm

First thoughts:

Piff's in an artist's smock! :D Say it now! Smock Smock Smock!! (Seriously, it's what I thought).

Secondly, Sheldon is no longer a turtle and morty is no longer a bird, which of course makes sense since everyone is now a goblin.

Thirdly, did Penny know about the posse before this, is her knowledge part of the retcon or is she only aware of them as she is temporarily blessed with fourth wall breaking omniscience? :wink:
Ransom Returns
Regular Poster

Postby Labrusca on Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:19 pm

Question is, can these goblins still "poit" Ben around? If not, and the retcon goes back to Ookami Lobo, how was Lily saved in the bank heist?

I miss Sheldon as a turtle and Morty as a vulture. It fit them better. Sheldon looks too much like Waarhorse's inner nerd now.
There's no insanity in my family. *I* have it all!!
Labrusca
Regular Poster

Postby DracoDei on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:04 pm

Well, I think Sheldon still has a shell if you look carefully...

All in all I think that so far everything seems in the green (pun intended) with this RetCon, although it is to me more of a artistic style thing than a plot/personality thing (although we will have to wait and see to be sure on both counts).
DracoDei
Regular Poster

Postby Namrepus221 on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:14 pm

labrusca wrote:Question is, can these goblins still "poit" Ben around? If not, and the retcon goes back to Ookami Lobo, how was Lily saved in the bank heist?

I miss Sheldon as a turtle and Morty as a vulture. It fit them better. Sheldon looks too much like Waarhorse's inner nerd now.

Agreed fully.

This is up there with Greedo shooting first and midi-chlorians.

I think the "egg" thing is pretty much a half-assed thrown together explanation of their existance. It even defeats their orignal purpose, that they were Ben's psyche brought to physical form for some odd reason. What possible output would these new ones have? Further more it raises the question...where did the eggs come from.

Of cource they were real in the above mentioned example, but what about carrying Ben to the ER after being mugged, the water balloon fight (The invisible bunny), meeting Lily's grandfather, etc, etc.

This also retcon's out 2 characters. Namely Ben's "ex" (when he was 4) and Warhorse which doesnt' truely effect the story, but it does throw a wrench into other things.

Unless ralph can really tie these loose ends up...then he's possibly lost me as a reader of the comic.
Namrepus221
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:51 pm

Does this mean that Ben is no longer a nutcase?
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:00 pm

Namrepus221 wrote:Of cource they were real in the above mentioned example, but what about carrying Ben to the ER after being mugged, the water balloon fight (The invisible bunny), meeting Lily's grandfather, etc, etc.

This also retcon's out 2 characters. Namely Ben's "ex" (when he was 4) and Warhorse which doesnt' truely effect the story, but it does throw a wrench into other things.

...I don't see what the problem is with either of those two objections. The Posse can still poit around, they can turn invisible, they can still scare Lily's grandfather. And we can merely presume that Warhorse, etc, have their own troupe of goblins, too. It's even less a stretch of the imagination than the tulpas were.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jaydub on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:06 pm

The JAM wrote:Does this mean that Ben is no longer a nutcase?

Let's see Ben buys a haunted mansion without telling his wife, names it Goblin Hallow and fills it with games he inherits while at the same time he is raising 7 goblins that hatch from eggs. Why would anyone think he was not normal? :o :) :D
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Why am I acting as a Ralph apologist? I'm not sure...

Postby Ransom Returns on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:26 pm

I too am interested in how the new reality relates to the previous timeline.

Of course, since it's all a comic strip anyway, we could just consider UTLT "Earth 1" and GH "Earth 2" and accept that each storyline doesn't have to have happened in an exact parallel. Ben could have still had an ex, met Warhorse at a gen-con, and saved Lilly from a crook, without neccessarily having those two characters having tulpas or the whole "dragon" subplot working out the way it did on "Earth 1." I'm not one to demand every conceivable loose end be tied up (leaves more to the imagination), so I don't really demand that much of an explanation. I think this might be part of a move to make the strip into something more about the characters themselves and less about continuity and the larger plot, if that makes sense.

I guess I'll take this moment to say that, although I wasn't planning on dumping the comic, I had begun to notice that UTLT/GH had gotten "crowded," both in terms of characters and in terms of the number of plot lines that had developed.

The posse had become somewhat the "odd group out" with Ben having become married, starting a business, and developing new "real" friends (aside from his co-workers and family, he also has the three regular arcade visitors, plus others). If I recall, people here were complaining about "missing" the posse and I felt like I could tell Ralph was struggling to keep them in. Presumably, the posse are now more "integrated" to the arcade itself.

I've got more concrete ideas on why I think this can be a good thing, but I have to wait until I see what actually happens.
Ransom Returns
Regular Poster

Postby LoneWolf23k on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:04 pm

I love the new Goblin Posse!

*swipes that body design for Goblins to use in future furry fantasy campaigns* :wink:
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:14 pm

I'm starting to feel the same way. When RH first said he was considering a retcon, I was very skeptical... but he's brought me over and I agree that this was probably the best thing to do. Just hang on, yall, it'll turn out.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Siirenias on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:23 pm

Ehhh...it's okay. I liked them better as corporeal representations of Ben's mind. >.>

And...yeah, there might be a little backstory embellishment called for.

Not bad, though. I like Lilly's new hair.
Siirenias
Regular Poster

Postby Namrepus221 on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:31 pm

Siirenias wrote:Ehhh...it's okay. I liked them better as corporeal representations of Ben's mind. >.>

And...yeah, there might be a little backstory embellishment called for.

Not bad, though. I like Lilly's new hair.

She had the same hair after she and Ben got married.

Honestly I would've wished Ralph filled in the time between Ben poping the question and ben waking up in the hotel room after getting hitched. That itself would be enough to clear up some story line issues, add in a few new ones (especailly meeting ben's parents and family) and a few more misadventures.

I mean how long have Ben and Lily been married? Couldn't going back and showing them reminicing about after ben asking for Lily's hand what they had to put up with from both families, not to mention other things.

Plus Zoot doesn't look the same without a lampshade on his head.
Namrepus221
Regular Poster

Postby Starcat5 on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:54 pm

*Blinks* Morty looks like Dracula turned traintrack Bum. ...I like it. Still waiting to see how the RetCon handles #8, the random addon.
Starcat5
Regular Poster

Postby Jwrebholz on Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:20 pm

Since the random addon wasn't mentioned here, I think it's safe to say he's been s***-canned.

Considering he only showed up like twice, I wouldn't be surprised.
^ the above was me sounding like I know WTF I'm talking about.
Jwrebholz
Regular Poster

Postby Catherine_Puce on Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:02 pm

Ransom Returns wrote:Thirdly, did Penny know about the posse before this, is her knowledge part of the retcon or is she only aware of them as she is temporarily blessed with fourth wall breaking omniscience? :wink:

I think that this is just a question of time before Penny learn about them. She had already hints of their existence. Beside I like her too much, she almost already part of the family. She needs a reason to stay or at least come often and knowing about the goblins could be a excuse for that. Beside the moment when she will learn the truth risk to be almost too funny to see.

J'aime bien les changements, jusqu'à présent.

S.P.P.
Catherine_Puce
Regular Poster

Postby Atarlost on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:02 am

jwrebholz wrote:Since the random addon wasn't mentioned here, I think it's safe to say he's been s***-canned.

Considering he only showed up like twice, I wouldn't be surprised.

Isn't the random add on Piff? He's still there.
If power flows from the barrel of a gun true democracy consists of every citizen having a gun.
Atarlost
Regular Poster

Postby DracoDei on Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:38 am

I wouldn't exactly call the addition of Pif to be random... there was a good reason given for it, he fit into the existing group, and he wasn't introduced ex post facto the way the embodiment of mindless idiocy was.
DracoDei
Regular Poster

Re: Why am I acting as a Ralph apologist? I'm not sure...

Postby SolidusRaccoon on Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:36 am

Ransom Returns wrote:
Of course, since it's all a comic strip anyway, we could just consider UTLT "Earth 1" and GH "Earth 2" and accept that each storyline doesn't have to have happened in an exact parallel.

Just wait till we hear about Earth-S, that one will be really fun and freaky.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Under the Lemon Tree