Where's the beef, or comic as the case may be.
- Dburkhead
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1083
- Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
- Location: Indianapolis, IN
- Contact:
Where's the beef, or comic as the case may be.
Okay, I was clicking on a newsbox entry that seemed interesting and started at the first page of the comic in question. First page, well and good. Second page, filler. Third page, filler. WTF? And on and on it goes. Something like twelve pages of filler brings me to the latest "update."
I say again, WTF?
What was this person thinking?
I say again, WTF?
What was this person thinking?
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
- Dr Legostar
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 15660
- Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: right outside your window.
- Contact:
perhaps the filler WAS the comic and it was all part of some devious plan.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

... was it mine?
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]
Sounds frighteningly familiar....dburkhead wrote:I don't know. Do you have a webcomic that consists of a first page, then twelve pages of filler, then nothing?KODAMA wrote:... was it mine?
I've been good for the past 9 pages :)
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]
Filler updated inside the main comic always drives me nuts. It's one of the main reasons I stopped reading through Suburban Jungle; the filler shatters the flow of the archives.
I like filler, but I like it even more to have a seperate location, unless there's a serious and important reason for its presence.
I like filler, but I like it even more to have a seperate location, unless there's a serious and important reason for its presence.
"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Patchwork Champions. Note to self: You cannot read by laserlight.
Patchwork Champions. Note to self: You cannot read by laserlight.
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Peer pressure maybe?
Like, they saw other comics do it, they overheard somewhere that it's good to update regularly, they put 2 and 2 together and got 1.5
Like HNTRAC established years ago, if you have to put a filler, remove it from archive later. If I'm reading someone's archives, I don't care which days I updated and which ones not. I only care about that if I'm reading it as it updates.
Though even then I don't get the point of a filler. I come for a comic, and if it isn't there, I don't care if there's some text image apologuising, or a stick-figure fan comic instead of it.
Like, they saw other comics do it, they overheard somewhere that it's good to update regularly, they put 2 and 2 together and got 1.5
Like HNTRAC established years ago, if you have to put a filler, remove it from archive later. If I'm reading someone's archives, I don't care which days I updated and which ones not. I only care about that if I'm reading it as it updates.
Though even then I don't get the point of a filler. I come for a comic, and if it isn't there, I don't care if there's some text image apologuising, or a stick-figure fan comic instead of it.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
- Dr Legostar
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 15660
- Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: right outside your window.
- Contact:
sarcasm cleanup on ailse three!Jackhass wrote:Waaaait a minute...
...are you saying there's a bad webcomic hosted on Comicgen?!
No sir, I refuse to believe this.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
- Mr. Caravaggio
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 377
- Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 11:28 pm
Someone's got to make a comic like this on purpose. The real point of the site will just to have a misc. art account, like deviant art, only framed as a webcomic, so that the site itself because kind of an ironic little statement on the medium. (And no, I don't think Vas already thought of this)
Christ, I shouldn't have taken that modern art class...
Christ, I shouldn't have taken that modern art class...
- Dburkhead
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1083
- Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
- Location: Indianapolis, IN
- Contact:
Well, yeah, there have been exactly twelve updates. And that's what tripped my irony switch: every single one of those twelve updates--every one--was filler. So, with the starter comic followed by twelve "fillers" we've got a "comic" that's 92.3% filler.SergeXIII wrote:How old is the site? They might be just setting everything up?
Maybe?
Its kinda possible...
I don't know.
- Cope
- Incompetent Monster
- Posts: 7378
- Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
- Location: Masked man of mystery
- Contact:
It seemed so daft that it must've been avante garde.
I think someone's done this, actually. Now if I can only remember where that site was...Mr. Caravaggio wrote:Someone's got to make a comic like this on purpose. The real point of the site will just to have a misc. art account, like deviant art, only framed as a webcomic, so that the site itself because kind of an ironic little statement on the medium. (And no, I don't think Vas already thought of this)
lol, I clicked on that banner too. I was reading some archives and there was a webcomic banner, so I was like "whoa, neat. An advertisement that isn't lame" and clicked on it.. and it's says come back a month later... lolOBS wrote:One thing I can't understand is how (popular indy comic that was once hosted on Keenspace) ramped up some big ad campaign for the comic, only to post filler durring days the comic updated citing "Oh, I've gone off on business and won't be back until the 15th".
It's just like kicking yourself in the face.
Sure made me think "wtf mate?" and I didn't feel like reading the archives. The artwork wasn't very appealing to me neither (very very few webcomics appeal to me simply by art, but I still read a few pages from the front and a few pages from the back for most of the webcomics I encounter.)
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]










