Regarding the Site Update

Answering the question, "What does a vegetarian vampire eat?" and providing enough Holding Chaos trivia to choke an elephant.

Regarding the Site Update

Postby Adobedragon on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:18 pm

If Comic Genesis ever starts behaving like a nice, stable webcomic host, I have a new website layout to upload. I'm tired of the drab black background. Although HC features vampires, it's more a romantic contemporary fantasy with a dash of mystery novel. Not really suited to gothy red and black.

As I write, the site is back up, but I'm not trying anything daring--like rebuilding the site--until things seem to be working for a few days.

So boring black for now. <a href="http://www.drunkduck.com/Holding_Chaos/index.php">The Drunk Duck</a> mirror looks sort of like what I have in mind.

(Since I have two pages done this week, an update tomorrow and Wednesday [06.12.07 & 06.14.07].)
Image -- When in Doubt, Cheat
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:49 am

About comic gen. on The Forsaken Forum
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 am

About comic gen. on The Forsaken Forum

Yup, I've been following the trials and travails of CG's errant server over on the main CG forum. Sounds like until they manage to get a new server, things will continue to be unstable.

I have a web host for my small business/art site, and I could buy my domain and plunk the comic over there. Trouble is, I like the association with a large comic community, like DD or CG. *Shrugs.*
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:53 pm

adobedragon wrote:I have a web host for my small business/art site, and I could buy my domain and plunk the comic over there. Trouble is, I like the association with a large comic community, like DD or CG. *Shrugs.*

Unless it's a comic like Machall or VGCats it's better for most artists to be associated with a comic host. If I ever finish any of my projects I will probably use one of the communities. Although if I can reach my goals I hope to run my own server oneday, but one thing at a time till then.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:31 am

This week, week of June 25th, I'm updating the site from dull black to obnoxious, cutesy purple. Most links should still be working, although some pages, like Links, will still be in the old format. (Initially, I forgot about Links, and it's currently chucked in on the right side under the RSS feed).

At this point, the link to Archive doesn't work because yours truly hasn't gotten around to creating an archive page.

I've tested the updated pages in Firefox and IE (ugh), but I have no idea what they look like, or if they work at all in Opera or Safari. (Because I don't have access to either browser, I doubt I can do much if the page doesn't function, anyway.)

The site uses "divs" which probably don't play well with some versions of Netscape. Oh, well.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:51 am

I mainly use FireFox myself but since I have opera as well I checked and it looks good. Don't have safari but I heard it's interface is worse then IE7.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:31 am

I mainly use FireFox myself but since I have opera as well I checked and it looks good. Don't have safari but I heard it's interface is worse then IE7.

Whew! Glad it isn't wonky in Opera. Thanks for checking, Koto!

Worse than IE7...? Wow. Who knew anything could be more annoying than IE? Heh. :)
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:12 am

The shout box appears better on Opea then Firefox on my computer. Could possibly be just my browser settings, but smilieys are cut off and cursor will not follow what I type.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:25 am

The shout box appears better on Opea then Firefox on my computer. Could possibly be just my browser settings, but smilieys are cut off and cursor will not follow what I type.

Hmm. Interesting. It works okay with my version of Firefox (2.0.0.4). Other than the colour, I didn't change much on the Shoutbox. And I did that over at the Shoutbox website, not through my own HTML or CSS.

Increasing the text size in Firefox does cut off some of the right side and right side smilies, but the cursor seems to be behaving. I'll fiddle with it this weekend to see if I can replicate your problem.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Mostly for my own edification, since my teeny brain quickly forgets what I did...

Added a Secondary Characters section to cast (The Living or Facimile Thereof); Need to add section for the Deceased (really dead, not just vampy). This all being text, no images (yet?) and probably sort of a glossary for the bored. Need to also add navigation bar similar to that in Links (not done yet).

Added little black strip under banner on Cast, About, Archive and Gallery pages because it was just bugging me. Added a "The Story So Far" page, link via the About page (fixed misuse of worst/worse). Added Wolf to the Links page and added the DeadSpace dropdown. (Need to add Purgatory Tower to list.) Noted comic in Links that weren't updating.

(Also, I need to futz with dailytemplate, because comics on old pages aren't aligning correctly, too high on page.)

Now, if I just managed to ftp all the right files to the right locations...
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Postby Adobedragon on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:22 am

Because they're getting lost in my bookmarks, I added Catalyst, Brink and Edwitch to the <a href="http://holdingchaos.comicgenesis.com/links.html">Links</a> section.

I also added a black strip under the header/banner on comic pages in the archive, so that the comics don't butt right up against the banner.
Adobedragon
Regular Poster

Return to Holding Chaos