Applying colour to a surface (aka painting)

The place where no good punk-asses and aimless hipsters come to discuss a rather lousy comic.
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Applying colour to a surface (aka painting)

Post by Mo »

I've recently (today) rediscovered painting. For the last few years, I sticked mostly to drawing illustrations and different methods of comicmaking, but today I spent most of the day painting and - surprise - I'm having fun doing it. Making a thread about it in here seemed like the next logical step. I don't KNOW why. Maybe because 8:1 seems like the type of comic to attract the type of people that paint.

So, any of you doing any painting? What kind of colours / techniques do you prefer, and what style?

The paintings I made today are gifts for some of my family members, so I tried to paint something I tought they would like having on their wall; it's not neccessary a style or motive I'd paint if I simply painted for fun.

This one's for my Dad. It's a portrait of all his offspring. Inspired by pop art, as you probably can tell... Acrylic on canvas. Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to take a non-blurry picture of it with my cell phone. :-?

This one is a portrait of my brother and his wife. Didn't turn out quite how I wanted it to, mostly the shading on her face... difficult lighting... and I messed up her chin a bit. But if I'd try to fix it now, I'd probably end up having to redo most of it.
Also, it's acrylic on canvas... with a lot of water.

Anywhoo, let's see them paintings. Or discuss. Or whatever.

Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Post by Nanda »

Most of my oil paintings have been gifts for my siblings, and they love homestar runner, so I started painting spoofs of famous paintings with homestar runner characters in them. I apologize to those of you who have already seen these:

Image Image

Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Post by Yeahduff »

Neat guys. I'll have to photograph some of my old stuff. And make new stuff.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Post by PortableNuke »

Those are cool and very good.

TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

My paintings look like ass when I photograph them. I'll do it anyway though.

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Post by Mo »

Heh, those are cool, Nanda. :D

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

I need to paint new stuff. Nice work there, Cookie and Nanda.

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Post by Mo »

Col wrote:I need to paint new stuff.
I was hoping you'd eventually post something here! ;)

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

I need to make some paintings that we could hang on the walls here at home before the end of the year, and I think my Grandma will be asking me to do a still-life for her soon, so I'll hopefully have some things to show in a little while.

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Post by Mo »

Made another one today, this one's for my Mom...

Yeah, I know.

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

Your paintings look like drawings. Especially your second one. Was this last one on canvas with a lot of water as well? It's pretty neat. I enjoy the texture of it quite a bit.

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Post by Mo »

Col wrote:Your paintings look like drawings. Especially your second one. Was this last one on canvas with a lot of water as well? It's pretty neat. I enjoy the texture of it quite a bit.
Heh, yeah, I noticed the drawing-y look too... I guess I've been drawing for too long. ;) Hm, yes, acrylics on canvas with a lot of water; there's also some thick layers of colours on that last one, but I like to water it out at some parts for the effect.

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

I've used that method myself in the past. I'll have to look and see if I can find some old paintings where I did that.

Also, you might want to consider trying to scrape the paint away with something before it completely dries for an even more scarred look. Though that can be a tricky one, depending on whether you've got any layers of colors underneath. Something to think about.

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Post by Mo »

Col wrote:Also, you might want to consider trying to scrape the paint away with something before it completely dries for an even more scarred look. Though that can be a tricky one, depending on whether you've got any layers of colors underneath. Something to think about.
Hmm, it sounds interesting, but I think the paint may be too dry for that by now... that and I'm a little scared of ruining it. >_>;

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

Yeah, I meant for another painting whenever you feel like trying it. That painting for your mom has to be stone dry by now. ;)

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Post by Mo »

Oh, I'm definitely going to try it with some other painting. I'm glad for the tip, not very experienced painter here. :)

TheSuburbanLetdown

Here's a covver of a magazine I did. The chapters are hard to read though unless actually holding the magazine. I blame lack of forsight when I was painting the image. I guess it turned out okay but I'm not entirely satisfied with it. It's the first "real" water color painting I've made.

Col
Cartoon Villain

Post by Col »

Wow, pretty gutsy to use watercolors for your first "real" painting for work. Came out pretty nice though.

TheSuburbanLetdown

When they explained the concept, I thought water colors would look more airy. But I guess I should've done it in acrylic on illustration board. The paper I used was way too coarse so that's why it looks like it was done in crayon.

Thanks. I really like the tree. But when I added the text I though, "Oh crap this is gonna look like crap."

PortableNuke
Regular Poster

Post by PortableNuke »

I was thinking map pencil, but it's cool. :)