Googlemaps + Flickr = teh cool.

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
JPSloan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Germantown, MD
Contact:

Googlemaps + Flickr = teh cool.

Post by JPSloan »

I saw someone used the satellite feature of GoogleMaps to save his old stomping grounds, and then uploaded it to Flickr to annotate points of interest.

I couldn't fit all of my points of interest down into my old neighborhood, but here is my hometown of Baton Rouge, Louisiana:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42573799@N00/8635861/

I thought this was kind of interesting.

(Edit)
Here is a closer one of my neighborhood:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42573799@N00/8637651/
Last edited by JPSloan on Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient relic of a by-gone era.

User avatar
Sput
Needs an Oil Checkup
Posts: 2831
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Post by Sput »

woah, neat. I would try it but i don't stay in one place very long, though it'd be cool to see round rock now that it's huge~
lazy sput is lazy.

User avatar
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Comi-what now?
Contact:

Post by Pimpette »

Boo, my area doesn't get enough notice to be seen in any amount of detail. I found the collection of streets that make up my general neighbourhood, but couldn't get very close before google announced that "We're sorry, but we don't have imagery at this zoom level for this region. Try zooming out for a broader look."
Bah.


I did find this interesting image of the CN Tower though.
Image
Took me a while to actually see it..
Image

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Y'might have better luck with terraserver then.

User avatar
Rianeva
Regular Poster
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:31 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by Rianeva »

My old high school. I've been on that roof. And thrown things off that roof.

And part of my university's campus. The round thing is Drumheller Fountain, and at the top center you can see part of Red Square (Which actually looks red if you go there and look at it. =p).

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

Wow, I can see my old high school from here.

Image
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Comi-what now?
Contact:

Post by Pimpette »

War wrote:Y'might have better luck with terraserver then.
It appears to be only US-oriented..

...unless I'm missing something, which happens often. =/
Image

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

Woo hoo!

Image

Mailbomb party at my place!
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Kirb
A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am
Location: I'll wrestle you for him.
Contact:

Post by Kirb »

I feel vaguely unconfortable that satellites can see clearly into my backyard.
ImageImage
*^*^*^*^* http://spacejunkarlia.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Comic
*^*^*^*^* http://deadgeargame.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Game
Image Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
Image

User avatar
Pillywiggin
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:05 am

Post by Pillywiggin »

Kirb wrote:I feel vaguely unconfortable that satellites can see clearly into my backyard.
Yeah. They can see the trampoline in my backyard.

I tan there sometimes....

:oops:
Image Image Image

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

The really good ones can read the time on your watch...

My city, and my house. This thing is cool! Although the pics are kinda old. Because where a tree is in that pic now there is a patch of dirt. And a new tree off to the left. And that field on the far left has been thoroughly developed now... Sheesh, Lowel street goes right through that place now. When was this pic taken?
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Image

My house, courtesy of the Department of Land Administration website. It's a great website to show internet beginners (whom I occassionally get to teach). Of course, I usually focus in on the college where I do the teaching and let them find their own houses after that.

It was also one of the first to provide such a service and it really freaked people out when I posted these satelitte pictures on forums back when they were unique.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

Actually...upon further inspection...

Image

HOLY CRAP THERE IS A POOL ON THE ROOF
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Whoa, this is fun.

All locations are labeled as we referred to them when I was a kid.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

Driving Without Pants wrote:Whoa, this is fun.

All locations are labeled as we referred to them when I was a kid.
haha you lived in the burbs
Image

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

Dang, this map thing is outdated.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
Alaina
Regular Poster
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:37 pm
Location: Portland until California
Contact:

Post by Alaina »

This was taken a year ago (is creeped out).

I wish we had a pool. The red scribbles is where a "mansion" was built this summer.
Attachments
no pool.JPG
no pool.JPG (48.87 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

Wow, that's a lot of pools.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

DarkMagician wrote:Dang, this map thing is outdated.
Yah, noticed that. In my picture, there should be some more houses in the bottom left hand corner and a bunch of construction work towards the top where they're putting in a new road.

Still, I've been living at these apartments for a few years now, so there's still the possibility that one or two of those little cars is mine and/or Kat's.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

Woah, lookit all the planes O.o

[quote="GoogleSightseeing"]the

Locked