Hunter S. Thompson--Suicide at 67
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Kevin Wolf
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1232
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Walking the Earth.
- Contact:
Hunter S. Thompson--Suicide at 67
Mourn, you fucking swine.
Last edited by Kevin Wolf on Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Though I always mourn for the loss of a life, I've never heard of this person or his achievements. Sad to see one more human take the coward's exit, though.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
- TheBladeRoden2
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 609
- Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:40 am
- Location: Kirby Asgard
- Contact:
I think he's a writer
"i just want to get back to life, but for that i just need to get dead" -boby

JR Productions Risen: The Forum

JR Productions Risen: The Forum
- Birdie
- Keeps telling everyone stuff
- Posts: 813
- Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:50 am
- Location: With your mom
- Contact:
I knew who Hunter S Thompson was, but I have yet to see/read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, though I got to hear about him when I was reading and studying the life of Oscar Zeta Acosta who was the basis of one of the characters in FaLiLV. Hmm, it is a shame though. Good contemporary writers are hard to find.
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!
Another author I never got around to reading... besides his Rolling Stone articles.
Whatever.
Whatever.
Warren

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
- Kevin Wolf
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1232
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Walking the Earth.
- Contact:
- Kevin Wolf
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1232
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Walking the Earth.
- Contact:
- Tynan
- A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
- Posts: 4214
- Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
- Location: Adventuring
- Contact:
Lets just cool the jets! everyone is entitled to their opinion so you gotta take critiscism..even though its not directed at you in the slightest. So its absolutely fabulous that your so dedicated to preserving his memory, dont lash out at others for their views...that'd just take away from the man and make him seem like less of a good enfluence.Kevin Wolf wrote:He's not a random celebrity. He's one of the greatest and most influential journalists of the last century, not just a guy who gets high in front of his typewriter, as has been suggested.
I agree.Kevin Wolf wrote:He's not a random celebrity. He's one of the greatest and most influential journalists of the last century, not just a guy who gets high in front of his typewriter, as has been suggested.
I guess we are high school elitist pseudo-intellectuals
but it has been five years since I was in highschool
and I am not even a quasi-intellectual...
anyhow...Thompson did have a sports column on espn.com
if you haven't read his writing you can go and check it out...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/archive? ... root=page2
they are apparently putting out some of his older stuff in tribute
I'm not much of a sports fan and I'm sure I'm not alone here... but its Hunter S thompson so you know its good for a couple chuckles.
-ymmot
Sadly so. I suppose most of the younger generation only knows about him because Johnny Depp played him in a movie, if that. He was one of the most influential journalists ever, and there was far more to the man than "getting stoned next to a typewriter."Kevin Wolf wrote:Obviously I posted this at the wrong Goddamn forum.
- Kevin Wolf
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1232
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Walking the Earth.
- Contact:
Yeah ... don't mind the neko; he kinda holds everything in contempt, especially if someone happens to like it. Granted, I've also never heard of this man, but it's always sad to hear about one more person who took that exit from the road.Kevin Wolf wrote:Ah, it's nice to know there are a couple kindred souls around here, at least.
--Sij
- The Neko
- A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
- Posts: 3878
- Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
- Location: New York City
I don't necessarily hate the work or the man. I just disliked the kids who lauded him as their idol. These were the same kids who walked up to the whiteboard and drew a squiggly line, called it an interpretation of a poem, and sat down expecting praise and laughter from the rest of the class. These were the kids who told everyone else who had literary evidence to back up their opinions to shut up so they could talk. The walked out in the middle of a girl's Junior-year presentation because they felt like they were entitled to leave the class whenever they wanted. For the most part, I just associate him with those jackasses.
Unfortunately, we covered his works around the same time as the beat poets, so I lumped them together into one memory.
Unfortunately, we covered his works around the same time as the beat poets, so I lumped them together into one memory.
jag saknar självförtroende
- Pimpette
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 4147
- Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
- Location: Comi-what now?
- Contact:
Damn.
Though my experience with Hunter S Thompson has only been the movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (excellent) and another one with Bill Murray that's been sitting unwatched in this house for a year or more, I remove my hat in his memory.
Though only for a few minutes.
Because it's a pimp hat.
Though my experience with Hunter S Thompson has only been the movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (excellent) and another one with Bill Murray that's been sitting unwatched in this house for a year or more, I remove my hat in his memory.
Though only for a few minutes.
Because it's a pimp hat.
- Creepychick
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 150
- Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:26 pm
- Location: Here. What the hell do you mean, location?








