Unforseen popularity of certain characters

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Contact:

Post by KathleenJ »

I think mine might be Jenny Damien. She was missing in action for most of the first series, but became totally central to the second. People seem to like her.
But I think her move to the center stage had more to do with the fact that I kind of fell in love with the character while redesigning her and figuring out what exactly her deal is.
Image

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

cortland wrote:
K-Dawg wrote:So my question is has anyone else had to revamp scripts to feature a character who by some odd reason gained some unknown popularity?
Absolutely. The exact same thing happened to both the Fonz and Steve Urkel. Ton is not alone. 8)
Oh my god, you are so right. Urkel was a one shot character that was supposed to be a blind date for Laura. And he ended up being the main character pretty much.

I haven't had anyone preffering any of the other characters in my comic over the main one yet. But we'll see what happens when I get more stuff in my archive.
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Urkel was the only reason I refused to watch that show...even though the dad was the twinky cop in Die Hard!
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Radewagon
Regular Poster
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:19 pm
Contact:

Post by Radewagon »

I'm not really sure if this counts because i'm not sure if i have fans, but one of my friends told me that i should put "the martian" in more of my strips. he started out as just a visual gag at the end of my third strip. and now he has been in many more. I'm not sure why my friend liked him so much (or my other friends who later agreed with her), but i enjoy writing the character so i don't mind much.
Image

"long is the way And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light" -John Milton

User avatar
Fiore42
Regular Poster
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:51 am
Location: Japan
Contact:

Post by Fiore42 »

People seem to enjoy Macar from mine, who has yet to actually speak a line. I suppose having Very Long Hair and a smirk helps his popularity with the fangirls or something...
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Mmh, no, not really. When I asked people who're their favourite characters, answers were mostly whithin the main characters who are apperaing the most already.
I did put more of characters on my own iniciative: I squeezed in Slight who wasn't planned in the first place. I put much more of Blocky and Ray because I thought they had a natural charm that I didn't even plan. And I put a tad bit more of Voicey.

User avatar
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Yes, let us check!
Contact:

Post by K-Dawg »

cortland wrote:
K-Dawg wrote:So my question is has anyone else had to revamp scripts to feature a character who by some odd reason gained some unknown popularity?
Absolutely. The exact same thing happened to both the Fonz and Steve Urkel. Ton is not alone. 8)
I'm just glad I wasn't pressured into renaming the comic to "Tontaku Felipe Rodriguez D. Monkey...featuring Angry D. Monkey"
Image

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

User avatar
Johndisko
Regular Poster
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Johndisko »

i am the most popular person in my... wait... what were we talking about now?

sorry...
im the "j" "o" to the "h" "n" and i cant even spell the rest. it takes too long and i need a friggin cigarette.

User avatar
Mr Ekshin
Regular Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:28 am
Location: Back against a wall with an apple on my head.
Contact:

Post by Mr Ekshin »

I've gathered that some people like at least one of my characters, but I don't believe I'm ever going to change a script due to a character's popularity / unpopularity.
Judge dredge.

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

My only fan is my dad, and the only thing he's said so far has been a correction for my Lingo page, so...
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

I never expected Cissy, the hot, large-breasted nymphomanical lesbian to take off like she did, but I guess there's just no accounting for taste.

Um...Hamish MacCreagle, if anybody here has ever actually read my comic, became far more popular than I had ever planned, causing me to write him into a more prominent role and then actually write him out of the comic altogether.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
Alschroeder
Regular Poster
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:21 pm
Location: Nashville
Contact:

Post by Alschroeder »

I never changed a storyline because of her, but Vicki, my character's artificial intelligence/hologram/best friend is the favorite of quite a few of my readers. ---
Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Image

User avatar
BrownEyedCat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1848
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:24 pm
Location: Lurking in the Corners
Contact:

Post by BrownEyedCat »

A large number of people have listed Toky, my obligatory cute thing, as their favorite character, even before I'd really done anything with him. Honestly, I keep forgetting he's there, and the number of times I've swapped his wings is just disgraceful.

But still, adorable cute thing. And I did try to make him more interesting than the usual sort of cute thing. So I probably shouldn't be too surprised.
Image

Image
Previously Catrine until my account crashed.

User avatar
Tim
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: State of WA, formerly MA
Contact:

Post by Tim »

I'm not sure about this "popularity" of which you speak...

I've been asked a surprising number of times (well, surprising to me) about the status of a certain ex-cast member. Sym seems to be a popular character - and I need to write more of him in anyway, being what I consider a main character - but judging by the fanart I've received, the most popular character is...me. :)
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!

User avatar
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 5154
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Unforseen popularity of certain characters

Post by Ghastly »

K-Dawg wrote: So my question is has anyone else had to revamp scripts to feature a character who by some odd reason gained some unknown popularity?
Freddy was originally pretty much intended to be a "one-shot" character but s/he became so popular and took on such a life of hir own that s/he became one of the main characters.

Drunk and Bitter Jesus was also another "one-shot" character who became for more popular than I had ever imagined.

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

People seem to love Lily (the Asian female character in my comic), and my traffic seems to jump whenever I feature her. I also get the response that people find Toxic (the main character) to be very unique.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
KeenCrow
Regular Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:21 am
Location: A field.

Post by KeenCrow »

This particular phenomenon isn't that strange, or uncommon. A quirky-cutesy-different character that a creator came up with as just a throw-away can easily be chosen as a fan favorite.

The reasons? People love cute things, especially if they look like little animals. Look at Pokemon! People also love characters with odd quirks, like a wicked sense of biting sarcasm in a perky, happy world, or something more physical, like a sexy girl with fur and a tail in an environment filled with simple, normal, not-so-sexy humans.

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

Tim wrote:I'm not sure about this "popularity" of which you speak...
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

Tamit. Without a single doubt. I'm not sure why it is....but yeah. o_O Although a year or two ago I had a popularity poll to see who the readers prefered and they all came out fairly even. Of course, I less readers back then. I wonder what it would be like now. Tamit still won, though.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
MrEff
Regular Poster
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:19 am
Location: Cruisin Mos Espa in my Delorean
Contact:

Post by MrEff »

Surprisingly I've gotten a huge reaction over just the main character on my page.... I'm not even near introducing others yet....


-MrEff-

Post Reply