general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
- Julesville
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
- Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
There are like 5000 people in the update queue. The number has been around there since the site came back up. Does anyone know how slow they are updating, and has anyone's site been updated today and how long did it take.
-
Blaze Series
- Newbie
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:16 pm
- Location: Here!
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
I don't think they're updating while the server is down. I've been trying to update my HTML files since yesterday afternoon (my entire site is all coded and done, but it needs a full update to show up; for now the page looks all buggy and weird since I JUST joined. xD) but the number queue has just been climbing higher. It looks like it's stopped at 5408... (I've been watching it all daaay.)
I hope things get worked out soon... xD;
I hope things get worked out soon... xD;
- Julesville
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
- Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
Aww,man, are you just starting your comic, that sucks dude. To be ready to go and have a problem that seems to have no end.Blaze Series wrote:I don't think they're updating while the server is down. I've been trying to update my HTML files since yesterday afternoon (my entire site is all coded and done, but it needs a full update to show up; for now the page looks all buggy and weird since I JUST joined. xD) but the number queue has just been climbing higher. It looks like it's stopped at 5408... (I've been watching it all daaay.)
I hope things get worked out soon... xD;
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
I'm in the same boat, or nearly. :/
I was planning on getting my first update out and going- but I've been waiting for the past three days to update. It looks like it's still stuck with the incorrect index page, too. At least now I know it's something with CG, and not my failing to understand how siteadmin works.
I was planning on getting my first update out and going- but I've been waiting for the past three days to update. It looks like it's still stuck with the incorrect index page, too. At least now I know it's something with CG, and not my failing to understand how siteadmin works.
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
I was just going to add a comment box, which I've been anticipating for a *long* time, and nooooooo it doesn't load! Very frustrating. I hope it's fixed soon.
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
It's been 3 days now since I tried to update. It looks like the regular midnight updates are adding to the queue constantly as well. Can I suggest just emptying the queue entirely? The current list of tasks must be impossible to accomplish at this point, and I'm willing to bet a lot of those update requests are redundant anyway.
- Julesville
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
- Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
I really wish the mods would comment on what's happening so far. They're probably insanly busy, but it's really frustrating just sitting here refreshing your website, hoping it'll be different, over and over and again. I can only do it for so many days!!!
- VeryCuddlyCornpone
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3245
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
- Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
Well, this has happened before, and been worse. Just everyone hang in there. The powers that be do have day jobs and life in general to attend to so patience is pretty much all we can work with. Keep on keepin' on, working on your comic and making things better. Readers will be forgiving. It's frustrating, agreed. But it will work out in time. We'll get more info when it becomes available- I don't think the admins are being devious and naughty and keeping things all a secret, unless you're into conspiracy theories
They know there's a problem, and when they can, they will fix it to the best of their abilities.
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
If you've got the time, one thing that helps placate readers is to make a barebones backup site somewhere else; I have one set up at webcomicsnaton.com. With daily updates, it becomes almost essential.
- Julesville
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
- Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
Ok... I'll be good...VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Well, this has happened before, and been worse. Just everyone hang in there. The powers that be do have day jobs and life in general to attend to so patience is pretty much all we can work with. Keep on keepin' on, working on your comic and making things better. Readers will be forgiving. It's frustrating, agreed. But it will work out in time. We'll get more info when it becomes available- I don't think the admins are being devious and naughty and keeping things all a secret, unless you're into conspiracy theoriesThey know there's a problem, and when they can, they will fix it to the best of their abilities.
- VeryCuddlyCornpone
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3245
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
- Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
*gives a reassuring piece of chocolate cake*Julesville wrote:Ok... I'll be good...VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Well, this has happened before, and been worse. Just everyone hang in there. The powers that be do have day jobs and life in general to attend to so patience is pretty much all we can work with. Keep on keepin' on, working on your comic and making things better. Readers will be forgiving. It's frustrating, agreed. But it will work out in time. We'll get more info when it becomes available- I don't think the admins are being devious and naughty and keeping things all a secret, unless you're into conspiracy theoriesThey know there's a problem, and when they can, they will fix it to the best of their abilities.
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
Most of my comics also appear at a backup blog site -- but I can't update the page to alert readers to that fact. And the ones using Google Reader for their RSS feed aren't going to know about it. sigh. Almost wish I'd set up a twitter account just for times like this. (No point in doing that really -- I only have a handful of daily readers)[geoduck] wrote:If you've got the time, one thing that helps placate readers is to make a barebones backup site somewhere else; I have one set up at webcomicsnaton.com. With daily updates, it becomes almost essential.
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
Install a shoutbox. It will still work even though the rest of the site is frozen, and you can at least post updates.Xwhy wrote: Most of my comics also appear at a backup blog site -- but I can't update the page to alert readers to that fact. And the ones using Google Reader for their RSS feed aren't going to know about it. sigh. Almost wish I'd set up a twitter account just for times like this. (No point in doing that really -- I only have a handful of daily readers)
-
RobertBlake
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 580
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
During server outages, I just post the comics on my blog.[geoduck] wrote:If you've got the time, one thing that helps placate readers is to make a barebones backup site somewhere else; I have one set up at webcomicsnaton.com. With daily updates, it becomes almost essential.
- Julesville
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm
- Location: Cabo Rojo, PR
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
Or a haloscan comment box! But how does one edit their html code when the autoupdate is so backed up?[geoduck] wrote:Install a shoutbox. It will still work even though the rest of the site is frozen, and you can at least post updates.Xwhy wrote: Most of my comics also appear at a backup blog site -- but I can't update the page to alert readers to that fact. And the ones using Google Reader for their RSS feed aren't going to know about it. sigh. Almost wish I'd set up a twitter account just for times like this. (No point in doing that really -- I only have a handful of daily readers)
-
MoonFreight3
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 31
- Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:39 am
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
I have comics uploaded through next week. In the event that the issue isn't fixed by the end of today (since today is the first day one of my comics hasn't uploaded), will I have to go back after the problem is fixed and upload all the comics for days it missed? Will I have to re-upload my comics with new dates? Or will it upload everything and just back-fill the older ones to the archives and post whatever is the most recent comic on the front page?
-
RobertBlake
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 580
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
All your uploaded files should still be there, and will update like normal once able.MoonFreight3 wrote:I have comics uploaded through next week. In the event that the issue isn't fixed by the end of today (since today is the first day one of my comics hasn't uploaded), will I have to go back after the problem is fixed and upload all the comics for days it missed? Will I have to re-upload my comics with new dates? Or will it upload everything and just back-fill the older ones to the archives and post whatever is the most recent comic on the front page?
-
MoonFreight3
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 31
- Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:39 am
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
And all the stuff that was supposed to go up during the outage but didn't will also go up? They'll be in the archives? I won't have to load those manually? Not just the stuff that's been on the site since the beginning?
Sorry if I keep repeating things, but I've never had to deal with a situation like this before, and I want to be thorough and make sure I have as much information as possible for when things get back to normal.
Sorry if I keep repeating things, but I've never had to deal with a situation like this before, and I want to be thorough and make sure I have as much information as possible for when things get back to normal.
-
RobertBlake
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 580
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
They should. They'll be in the archives if they do. You shouldn't have to load anything manually. Once we get over this little snag, AutoKeen should update everything you've uploaded like normal.MoonFreight3 wrote:And all the stuff that was supposed to go up during the outage but didn't will also go up? They'll be in the archives? I won't have to load those manually? Not just the stuff that's been on the site since the beginning?
Not a problem. The first time it happened to me way back in the day I had many of the same worries.Sorry if I keep repeating things, but I've never had to deal with a situation like this before, and I want to be thorough and make sure I have as much information as possible for when things get back to normal.
Re: general or partial CG server outage? WANTED: server status
So....And I ask this only because I'm technologically inept...Since the count on the upload site is up to 6900, all it's gonna take now is some time for uploads to finish, and everything should be back to normal?







