Stats Theory (opinion)

A place to discuss bad ass muthas and all things of a muthaly nature.

Stats Theory (opinion)

Postby Perkski on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:12 pm

New here. From what I've seen, I've come up with a theory on the meter and the colored shape and letter on the Character sheets. I don't know if that's been explained, but here it is.

The meter could be the specialization in Mind and Body, with the far left being body and the far right being mind.

The colors could be what their Bri color/type is.

The letter? I just gave each one a word to symbolize what type of skill any specific character would have:
T - Time
M - Might
B - Blitz
O - Order

Any thoughts?
Perkski

Postby Panda of DOOM on Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:43 am

Sounds good. Better than my theory: "Moving colours to distract reader while author thinks of something to occupy them with later."

Edit: Now that I look again, the body/mind part of the theory seems a little off. I don't specifically know why, since we have no real understanding about character skills as of yet; but now that I look at it, I think it might be based more around their control and refinement of their skills. To the left, you're extremely skillful and use your abilities with speed and efficiency, thus, the enclosed box. Then, to the right, All out, tactless badassery with no real thought... which may be contradictory to Eugene's persona, considering he's a genius in the Old-School comics. I guess my theory's a little off too...

The shapes with the letters in them probably defines which region they're from. As McFly has the Triangle on his cool green winter jacket.

I agree with the colour thing: McFly's eyes glow blue when sensing Bri, Ralph shoots black energy.
I stole my Avatar, and I'll never give it back.
Panda of DOOM
Regular Poster

Postby Mrdaveryan on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:35 am

Interesting theories.

Keep in mind that Bri is a fox ninja term and isn't necessarily the system I, the author, or the majority of the badass muthas' world uses.

I'll break down some of it - a little reward for those of you who try to keep this forum going.

What you see on the character page is a portrayal of the character's SOL. Similar to Bri but with a more scientific approach. It's the system used by the White Hearts, the Black Diamonds and various other military type groups.

There are three types of SOL: Thought (triangle), Body (square), and Environment (diamond). Technically there's a fourth kind: Soul (circle). But it's unique in that everybody sort of uses it but no one (???) truly understands it.

Environment types can specialize even further with a specific element: Fire (F), Rock (R), Water (W), Air (A). If a user is adept at two of the elements, they can be combined to form a new specialization: Fire + Rock = Metal (M); Rock + Water = Organics (soulless life O); Water + Air = Ice (I); Fire + Air = Electricity (E). Opposite elements do not combine well. There is no Fire + Water or Rock + Air.

The color is simply the color of that person's SOL, Bri actually applies here as well. Some say the color is a good indicator of personality types - but that's just speculation.

I'll leave the scale to your imaginations for now.
Mrdaveryan
Regular Poster

Postby MechaMonkey on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:45 am

Alright, a bit of a puzzle for us. What we have so far:

Guy McFly
Color: Blue
SOL: Thought

McFly uses Illusion magic, which affects the perceptions of others, and hence what they think. Easy enough.

Eugene Corrado
Color: Gold
SOL: Environment/Metal

Metal, referring to his blade. Since it is not part of him, it's part of his environment. This seems to imply that those whose SOL is focused through a weapon are Environment-based.

Ralph
Color: Black
SOL: Body

Ralph beats the snot out of people, so it's pretty obvious that he's Body. What's interesting is his ability to project his SOL. I'm not sure how that fits in.

Earl Saucony
Color: Purple

His Limit is Link Leech. This seems to be a regenerative capability, which would certainly be Body, based on the fact that he has "died" twice. It was referenced in the Muttro Article that McFly had killed the two officers that cornered him in an alley, and he later got taken out by Eugene.

Bubba Saucony
Color: Purple

Bubba's damn near indestructible. Sounds like Body fits.

Jerry
Color: Green
SOL: Environment/Organics

His Limit explanation makes Jerry pretty clear, despite the fact that we haven't seen him. Jerry can amplify the regenerative abilities and other qualities of organic life he comes into contact with.

Major characters with no Bri scale (yet...)
Oz Jr.
Gregor
Buck
Lord Ruber
Lord Cyrule
Lord Atrus
Pumpkin Jack
Dr. Katz (name?)

So the scale without explanation is a bit of a conundrum. The marker is a circle, which means it might relate to the mysterious Soul SOL. On either end of the scale are four angled segments. On the left, they all face in, while on the right they all face out. The first theory that pops into my mind is that Soul defines "how" you use your other SOL. For example, Bubba's Heavenly Body Limit is sort of an inward use of power, strengthening himself, therefore his Soul meter is all the way to the left, where the shapes face inwards. Eugene's Metal Love on the other hand, is an exclusively outward use of SOL, so it is all the way to the right.
MechaMonkey

Postby Panda of DOOM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:29 pm

So, what does SOL actually mean?

Like, is it just a play on words likening itself to soul, or is it an acronym?
Panda of DOOM
Regular Poster

Postby Mrdaveryan on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:14 pm

SOL is a play on words, not an acronym.
Mrdaveryan
Regular Poster

Re: Stats Theory (opinion)

Postby GraySky on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:47 am

For having so much useful information, this thread has certainly been neglected. :o
GraySky
Regular Poster

Postby Mrdaveryan on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:11 am

Ya damn straight, Gray.

I need to correct my earlier post. SOL is an acronym- a backronym actually. Soul Over Limits.
Mrdaveryan
Regular Poster

Postby Bango Skank on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:32 pm

Here's some stuff based on the new character sheets we've got, which give less info but there's still a bunch of them so it balances out! :D

Demmy Zero
Color: ??? (Possibly white)
SOL: Soul
Slider: ???

Dem's the first one who's SOL is Soul-type, which indicates that he's got a special understanding of how the whole thing works, which makes sense given that he's capable of calling down a rain of demons on a city for like 6 hours. He doesn't strike me as a combatant though, I'm guessing he's more like a summoner or puppet master- pulling the strings from backstage.

Captain John Alexander
Color: Yellow
Slider: Almost to the top

His SOL type is body, yet his slider is almost all the way towards what I think is the "outwardly focused powers" side. Also, his portrait doesn't show him doing anything special with his abilities, just standing there looking like a pimp. What that means? No effin' clue, though I am really looking forward to seeing the Cap'n in action.

The Mighty Pierre
Color: Light Blue
Slider: Almost to the bottom

He's a penguin, and that's awesome. From his SOL and slider location, I'm guessing he's a serious brawler who also has a few tricks. I wish we still got to know the name of their Limit, since that usually gave a clue as to what their powers did.

Frank Black
Color: Indigo/Dark Blue
SOL: Environment, Fire
Slider: Right in the middle

We got to see him...melt...into smoke in the comic, which fits with what seems to be a really bad smoking habit. (That was a seriously gnarly cough) Fire and smoke based attacks, maybe? (After all, where there's smoke there's fire!)

Dr. James "The Professor" Williams
Color: Red
SOL: Thought
Slider: Almost to the top

He seems like a smart dude, so I'm guessing that his powers deal with the mind. Probably not open illusions like (Marty) McFly, but rather more traditional mind games like telepathy, telekinesis, and the like. The interesting part is his powers are slightly down from the top, indicating physical improvements of some kind. Bigger brains, perhaps?

Lord Ruber
Color: Pinkish-Red
SOL: Environment, Organics (Soulless life)
Slider: Completely at the top

We've seen Rollo-Ruber fight, so his powers are easy: He can manipulate his wooden shield (wood being alive, yet bereft of a soul) into various forms, such as a ball to crush people and a larger shield to block stuff. He relies on his 'natural' robo physic for fighting.

Lord Cyrule
Color: Pinkish-Red
SOL: Environment, Air
Slider: Completely at the top

Easy enough, since we've also seen this candidate for Biggest Douche in the Universe fight: he controls the wind, which he uses to fly, blow things around, and generally spew hot air.

A side note- both robos we've seen that have SOL abilities have the same color SOL, and the same SOL type (Environment, even if they specialize in different aspects), and are totally focused on external abilities (based on their sliders). This could mean two things: that something about robos prevents them from using the other kinds of SOL (Body and Thought), probably the fact that they are (partially, at least) mechanical; or that it's a coincidence and not anything special. I'm voting for the former. ;)

Soul Over Limits- I'm guessing (after a cursory thought) that this means that the person's life force, energy, whatever, is beyond the normal level and actually spews out into the environment. The extra power means that it can be used for stuff beyond simply supporting life, like improving the muscles to gain super strength, or forming an energy blast. The more SOL you have, the more you can do- if you use too much in too short a time, though, you run the risk of not having enough left to power basic things like your heart or lungs.
Bango Skank
Regular Poster

Postby Bango Skank on Sun May 04, 2008 10:20 am

Ok, I'll try asking a question. =P

You said that with the Environment SOL-type, you could combine the four basic types to create new ones. (For example, combining Fire and Rock to make Metal) Could you combine the same two basic elements to make two different things? Like, Fire and Rock makes Metal, but could also make Glass- glass being itself a product of melting sand, which is basically ground up rock. Or, Air and Fire make Lighting, as well as Smoke.
Bango Skank
Regular Poster

Postby Mrdaveryan on Fri May 09, 2008 5:58 am

You're pretty much right on there Bango. Frank Black is mainly a fire type and the main way he uses it is through smoke. There's a character that mainly manipulates ink, she's ultimately a water type.
Mrdaveryan
Regular Poster

Postby GraySky on Tue May 13, 2008 9:19 pm

I have a question: With environmental type SOL, does one merely control their element, or can they also create it?

For instance, I've been thinking of a character, and I'm not sure weather he'd be Water Type or Body Type. Depending on the stance he uses, he takes on different aspects of water, both offensively and defensively. Now, if Water Type SOL users can create as well as manipulate their element, he would create the type of water used for his stance at the appropriate moment (For instance, his "Pressure Stance" would create and propel a highly pressurized stream of water from his fingertips upon making contact with his opponent), while if one cannot, he would merely mimic the effects of the water, without it's actual presence (If this is the case, the stance mentioned earlier would just force a small amount of bree from his fingertips upon contact with the enemy, which would result in a pain similar to actual water piercing the subject, but with less devastating effects.)

On a side note, the character is a pale green and bald.
GraySky
Regular Poster

Postby Panda of DOOM on Wed May 21, 2008 6:05 am

Considering I didn't create BAM, this is totally speculation, but, if it's possible to manipulate a substance, creating it should be very possible. Since the spy -Mr. Black or something - can turn into smoke, creation of an element seems like a very small jump.

If it only is manipulation - Hydrogen and oxygen in the air being manipulated (a la Frozone from The Incredibles) into water then propelled by SOL seems entirely realistic in this universe.
Panda of DOOM
Regular Poster

Postby Bango Skank on Wed May 21, 2008 7:55 pm

Well, I think it would still require certain base materials. Like, fire is simply combustion so all you'd need would be air. Likewise, if you wanted to make ice you'd still need water from somewhere, whether the air or your own body. (like you said, as Frozone does) Ruber making his shield change shape without "adding" to it makes since when you think about it; it's made of living wood, so as long as it's properly 'nourished' then he could simply cause the cells to grow and divide really, really quickly. Cyrule doesn't seem to "create" anything, but since he controls Air it's pretty obvious where he's getting his ammo from.

The specific case I would be thinking about is like I said before, combining Fire and Rock into glass. From my view, the user can both create and control glass. He creates new glass by using fire to melt down sand, dirt, or crushed rock. All he can do with Fire and Rock is just that, combine them to form glass. He can't create a fireball or make an earthquake. The control boils down to him pouring his SOL into the glass, turning it green and making it indestructible. Glass under his control can be fluid, like water, or harder than diamond. However, this only applies when his SOL is still being channeled through it; when he loses physical contact, it goes back to being regular old glass again. (though it stays in the shape it was when he lost contact)
Bango Skank
Regular Poster

Postby Panda of DOOM on Fri May 23, 2008 8:56 am

Does manipulation of glass include glass he didn't create? Or is it like, only glass created by the individual can be manipulated?
Panda of DOOM
Regular Poster

Postby Bango Skank on Fri May 23, 2008 8:57 am

He can manipulate any conventional glass. Basically, if it's melted sand then he can control it. Any kind of synthetic plastic or whatever is out.
Bango Skank
Regular Poster

Postby Mrdaveryan on Tue May 27, 2008 5:10 pm

The slider bar looking thing on the left of the bio pics represents the type of SOL user each character is. CONSUMER at the top, PRODUCER at the bottom. Although many characters are ni the extreme, several lie somewhere in between. Perfect balance between the two is extremely rare and is usually achieved through years of extreme training (we're talking 75+) or some kind of FOCUS / subconcious agreement that limits the overpoweredness of perfect balance.

A complete 100% CONSUMER needs whatever they work with to already be there whether it's fire, water, thoughts or muscle.

A complete 100% PRODUCER can create whatever they work with theoretically out of thin air, though it's less SOL consuming to FOCUS themselves to some kind of particular regent. The more the regent makes sense scientifically, the less SOL-consuming the process is.

There's much more to say on this but I'd like to address them as questions come up. Sorry for the very delayed response.
Mrdaveryan
Regular Poster

Postby GraySky on Wed May 28, 2008 2:32 am

Still a tad confused, but I think you answered my question.

So based on the information you gave, the character described above would probably be water type, with the slider vary tear the bottom, but not there completely.

... I think.
GraySky
Regular Poster

Postby Mrdaveryan on Wed May 28, 2008 6:12 pm

Yep, Gray, that character would be close to the bottom of the scale. HOWEVER, while the attack motions you describe would serve to cut down on SOL consumptiuon from a water blast, it would be much more efficient for this character to blast from his mouth.

In the other scenario you suggest, where the character creates a concussive force with a punching motion, he would most likely be a Body type Producer. He could even have moves that are thematically linked by water. That would be his FOCUS and it would improve his efficiency.

Our pal Ralph does this. Innately he's a CONSUMER but he's able to launch PRODUCER like attacks due to his FOCUS (formerlly known as LIMITS): he's allowed to create one and only one new move every year on his birthday. He has to declare a move before he can use it, the louder his delclaration, the more powerful the move. It's goofy and completely arbitrary, but becasue Ralph believes in it on a subconscious level, it works.

Oh and really, the guy could be a body/water/whatever type if he wanted to. Many characters have a basic profiency in several areas if for nothing more than blocking elemental attacks. The FOCUS is really jusat an aid in training.
Mrdaveryan
Regular Poster

Postby GraySky on Fri May 30, 2008 1:52 am

I've started reading Hunter x Hunter, and yeah, this is alot like nen (which is a pretty confusing concept as well).
GraySky
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Bad ass muthas