Under appreciated comics.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Under appreciated comics.

Postby Shishio on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:00 am

Just wondering what comics you all think deserve more recognition.

- Lucid TV: A hilarious comic for, and by, people who have no respect for doctors.

- Gone With The Blastwave: Post-apocalyptic hilarity. Also, the art is incredible.

- The Tenth Life of Pishio The Cat: Pishio's crimes catch up with him, but he gets one last chance at life.

- Zed Reckoning: Zed is a zombie with free will who travels the wasteland carrying his soul in a suitcase. Another comic with incredible art.

- What Birds Know: A fantasy comic about three girls on a school assignment. Very well done.
One-liners: Come for the laughs, stay for the abuse.
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby Warren on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:03 am

The entire Warren catalog, of course!
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Perk_daddy on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:19 am

Ooo, this is a great thread idea, Shishio.

-Fishman
-Lightbringer
-One Small Step
-Girl / Robot
ImageImage
Perk_daddy
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:15 am

Let's just not forget the difference between unappreciated and underappreciated.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Re: Under appreciated comics.

Postby Rcmonroe on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:30 am

Shishio wrote:Just wondering what comics you all think deserve more recognition.

- Lucid TV: A hilarious comic for, and by, people who have no respect for doctors.

- Gone With The Blastwave: Post-apocalyptic hilarity. Also, the art is incredible.

- The Tenth Life of Pishio The Cat: Pishio's crimes catch up with him, but he gets one last chance at life.

- Zed Reckoning: Zed is a zombie with free will who travels the wasteland carrying his soul in a suitcase. Another comic with incredible art.

- What Birds Know: A fantasy comic about three girls on a school assignment. Very well done.

How do you define "appreciation"? Today Blastwave is ranked No. 6 on Buzz Comix, No. 17 on Top Webcomics. It also has a very active forum. Obviously, the strip has a humongous readership.

I could go for some of that kind of "unappreciated."

The others you mentioned do seem relatively unrecognized, because with the exception of Birds, none of them ring a bell with me.
Last edited by Rcmonroe on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rcmonroe
Regular Poster

Postby Dotty on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:34 am

Shishio wrote:Just wondering what comics you all think deserve more recognition.

I'm going to have to second this, and then think on my own choices. This DEFINITELY has to be on the list, though. Great piece of work.

I'm also going to be quite controversial, considering this comic has a strong readership, but everyone and their mothers should be reading Narbonic. The fact that people don't makes me sad.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kasaii on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:40 am

Yeah, the definition of "under-appreciated" can be a bit tricky.

For example, I consider B-Movie Comic to be under-appreciated because it isn't on Keenspace yet. But it is in the BuzzComix Top 50...

Similar reasoning for No Need For Bushido.
"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Patchwork Champions. Note to self: You cannot read by laserlight.
Kasaii
Regular Poster

Postby Killbert-Robby on Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:24 pm

I LOVE Blastwave.

And isnt WBK by a forumite?
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:04 pm

Killbert-Robby wrote:
And isnt WBK by a forumite?

hallonpress says, "Aye-aye, Cap'n!"
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:27 pm

Bohemials was an underappreciated comic. But it's gone now.

Darken is underappreciated too, imho.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Dotty on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:32 pm

I think it's garnering appreciation now, hopefully.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Komiyan on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:46 pm

rkolter wrote:Darken is underappreciated too, imho.
There's other comics more deserving of a leap in audience, I'm doing ok. Personally, I want the entire world to read Angry D Monkey.
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby McDuffies on Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:01 pm

rcmonroe wrote:

How do you define "appreciation"? Today Blastwave is ranked No. 6 on Buzz Comix, No. 17 on Top Webcomics. It also has a very active forum. Obviously, the strip has a humongous readership.

I could go for some of that kind of "unappreciated."

The others you mentioned do seem relatively unrecognized, because with the exception of Birds, none of them ring a bell with me.

For a brief time author of What Birds Know posted here, her comic got a lot of attention from other forumites. "10th life of Pishio the cat" was nominated for the best newcommer last WCA and as far as I know, gained recognition rather fast.

For example, I consider B-Movie Comic to be under-appreciated because it isn't on Keenspace yet. But it is in the BuzzComix Top 50...

For a moment, this statement confused me, but then I realised that you probably meant Keenspot instead of Keenspace.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Komiyan on Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:54 pm

Oh! Also, more people should read Inhumation.
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby TRI on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:06 pm

Popular and appreciated aren't the same thing: you could have hordes of people all taking your work for granted.

Anyway, here's one that's unpopular and under-appreciated: Mara-chan!
Along with, and also by an occaisonal poster here: Fainting Spells.
ImageImageImage
"Yeah, that's the bridge pier (expletive). I thought it was the center. Oh (expletive)." ~ From the transcript of the recording device on board the ship which struck the San Franciso Bay Bridge last year, causing a 50,000 gallon oil spill.
TRI
Cartoon Hero

Postby Biev on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:31 pm

Aw. *hugs Tri*

< the occasional poster

I'm not sure how well known it is, but I think the coolest webcomic I've seen is Schism. It's the only one I've seen so far that makes use of the fact that it's online and not in a book, with integrated flash used in the coolest ways, and a storyline that revolves around a blur of internet and reality. Plus the art is absolutely gorgeous. Its only flaw is that it's been near-hiatus for a really long time.
Biev
Regular Poster

Postby K-Dawg on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:42 pm

Komiyan wrote:There's other comics more deserving of a leap in audience, I'm doing ok. Personally, I want the entire world to read Angry D Monkey.

You sure do know how to make a girl blush. :shucks:

As for me although it's young I will consider The Curious Adventures of Aldus Maycombe very under appreciated until it gets up there in the webcomic world.

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby McDuffies on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:08 pm

Guys, there's no point pluggint comics everyone here knows about. :P
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Warofwinds on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:17 pm

A comic I recently found here on CG that I've fallen in love with is HERO. I don't know if it's supposed to be in all caps, but the art and color choice are gorgeous, and the narration flows like the inner voice that it is. Definitely one of my favorites now.

http://invisiblecities.comicgenesis.com/story.html
-Kez
ImageImageImage
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mvmarcz on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:53 pm

Emma is very good and very under appreciated http://miruku.comicgenesis.com/

Also why isn't there more of this:
http://stickbutter.comicgenesis.com/
I personally think it's being under appreciated by its creator ;)
NJ: "You know the drill, you're AWESOME!"
I am the artist formerly known as M2
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to General Discussion